10 days left to save the world.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 days left to save the world.

Are we really worth "saving", I mean to spend billions of dollars from 20 different countries on the worlds largest jigsaw puzzle (LHC) I find surprisingly stupid. At the same time If the experiment does go off without a hitch it will be a major accomplishment and lead to amazing discovery's. On the other hand those billions of dollars could of been used for things a little more important, I think world poverty might be one... Anyhow that is my opinion feel free to play around with this one, I'm sure you all will have a field day with this one.

Taken from the Vancouver, British Columbia newspaper "The Province" on Sunday, August 31, 2008.

A last-minute legal challenge has been launched against the worlds biggest and most expensive scientific experiment, amid claims that the research could bring about the end of the world. Critics of the large Hadron Collider -- a machine due to be switched on in 10 days time -- have lodged a lawsuit at the European Court for Human Rights against the 20 countries funding the project.

The device is designed to replicate the conditions that existed a fraction of a second after the Big Bang, and its creators hope it will unlock the secrets of how the universe began. However, opponents fear the machine, which will smash subatomic particles together at high speed and generate temperatures of more than a trillion degrees centigrade, might create a miniature black hole that could tear the earth apart.

The legal battle comes as the European Nuclear Research Centre (CERN), in Geneva, prepares to send the first beam of particles around the machine at the official opening, on Sept. 10, although it will be weeks before the first collision. Opponents of the project had hoped to obtain an injunction from the court that would block the collider from being turned on at all, but the court rejected the application on Friday morning. However, the court will rule on allegation that the experiment violates the right of life under the European Convention of Human Rights.

Prof. Otto Rossler, a German chemist at the Eberhard Karis University of Tubingen, who is one of the most vocal opponents of the project and who was one of the scientists who submitted the complaint to the court, said: "CERN itself has admitted that mini-black holes could be created when the particles collide, but it doesn't consider this a risk. My own calculations have shown that it is quite plausible that these little black holes survive and will grow exponentially and eat the planet from the inside."

Prof Rossler claims that, in the worst-case scenario, the earth could be sucked inside-out within four years of a black hole forming. But a safety report published earlier this year by experts at CERN and reviewed by a group of external scientists said there was little theoretical chance of the collider producing black holes that would be capable of posing a danger to the earth, as cosmic rays that hit the planet routinely produce higher energy collisions than will be possible in the collider.

That is just one of many pieces of information I have found, I know there is much more information than this bit which I'm sure you can all find ie: Google. CERN has been has been working on this project for more than 10 and people just recently decided it might not be a good thing to turn on... Why waste the billions of dollars?

:icon33:
    Last edited by Extinct; 09-01-2008, 01:54 PM.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Re: 10 days left to save the world.

Ending world poverty is a political problem, not an economic one. You need to stop the dictators from screwing with their farmers making the food. Handouts from developed countries just extends the problem, esp. if the dictators intercept the shipments for their own enforcers.

OTOH, what discoveries are likely from this that mean anything? Why not wait until humanity is a lot wealthier so that it can be funded by private philanthropists?
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Just listen to this

http://www.twit.tv/fib31

We will be fine. The world wont end, dont worry about it.
      "In general, our generals were outgeneralled"
      -John Adams
      "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
      -Charles Beard

Comment

Don't really see the point in this, just some curious george stuff where billions of dollars go to this rather than investing in technologies to better ourselves maybe put an end to AIDs/help out Africa/create more environmentally friendly means of transportation/increase better clean energy outputs and etc.

I'll be pissed if they do create a black hole that kills us all but I'll be even more pissed if all they get out of this is creating a black hole and not even finding out how/why the universe was created.

And is it actually a possibility a black hole would be created or just a bunch of imaginations going wild (Was just watching imaginationland I-III yesterday :p )? I mean they had a theory of the atomic bomb with splitting an atom but instead of a black hole could this make just something like a weapon thats 1000x greater than an atomic bomb?

Edit: Ah and yea had something like what Scratch is saying except the only way to end world poverty would be to do some crazy radical changes as to the way everyone on the planet is living, by that I mean governments, theirs always going to be some groups of people living in poverty when we have something like money or a currency of some sort.
        "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
        'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Currency doesn't create poverty. Currency is just a much more convenient way to barter in an n-way exchange.

I wonder how much each of us pays in taxes for this? I'd love to get a rebate to let me toss another stick of memory in my motherboard, or maybe even a whole new motherboard and CPU. Or we could use the money to invade Mexico and restore freedom and prosperity there.

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

imo all this will do is disprove god, which will in turn throw organized religion into turmoil, and spark a giant war. im all for discovering how we came here, but we're simply not ready for this kind of information...

on the issue of a black hole ending us... suns gonna explode in due time, so might as well get out of the way. And whos to say getting sucked into a black hole will be all that bad? have we ever been sucked into one before?

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

You guys do realize that we spend billions a month on stuff we dont need already right?
              There are people with so much money that they just buy house because they can. A few billion for a potentially world changing experiment is nothing.

There are a lot worse things we could be spending money on. You guys act as if the money for this science project was diverted directly from aids research. It wasnt. Trust me we have people looking into that. Its covered. But we had a bunch of scientists with nothing to do so we gave them some cash and let them build their particle thingy to keep them out of trouble.

Scientists with nothing to do = increased chance of zombies and zombie related outbreaks.And/or Super humans with cannons on their shoulders and a fresh pine scent

Do you want that? I dont. Give me a particle accelerator any day.
              "In general, our generals were outgeneralled"
              -John Adams
              "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
              -Charles Beard

Comment

It'll scientificlly disprove god but I think the only organized religion that would actually be hurt by that is Christianity, Islam and Hinduism would lose some but Christianity would definitely be the victim.. And I think we're ready but its just not necessary at all.. The money/loss of other technology break throughs due to the time spent on this, etc.

The suns going to die out/explode in a couple million I think, if humanity isnt extinct by then I'd expect it to be living in multiple galaxies by then so no problem. And I think I read somewhere black holes are thought to pull all atoms apart or something like that, so it would basiclly be a perfect waste disposal but we would probably end up being the waste... Although if it turns out to be something from Alice in Wonderland and you can walk through it and have an instant acid trip that would be nice and dandy too.
                "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

How is this going to dis-prove god? Galileo showed that the earth wasn't the center of the universe, and that didn't do it. (Actually Kepler did the legwork, Galileo was just the obnoxious publicist.)

The only thing that will prove the non-existence of god is a Babelfish.

Comment

Hey, if it creates a black hole that swallows the earth from the inside out in four years, then we have a definite timeline to build a ship large enough to sustain people to carry on the human race and launch it, as well as coming up with realistic survival apparatus.

Comment

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j50ZssEojtM[/media]

This rapper explains it all.
                      ---
                      Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Agreed poverty was not a well thought out way to spend billions of dollars. Your point about waiting for humanity is alot wealthier is exactly what I mean. I know there is alot of money being spent out there for some pretty block headed reasons, I just think this one is quite foolish.
                        I am also curious why they are just recently trying to stop this thing after it has been being built for more than a decade.
                        Women can rap?

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Why foolish?

Comment

I spoke too soon, we will let the experiment be the judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Extinct View Post
                              Agreed poverty was not a well thought out way to spend billions of dollars. Your point about waiting for humanity is alot wealthier is exactly what I mean. I know there is alot of money being spent out there for some pretty block headed reasons, I just think this one is quite foolish.
                              I am also curious why they are just recently trying to stop this thing after it has been being built for more than a decade.
                              Women can rap?
                              Yeah I see your point. If they had stopped Newton when he was going out on a limb and running experiments that had no foreseeable gain then this world would be a different place.

Sarcasm aside I seriously can't believe that people think this kind of science is a bad idea. The only way we can figure out new things is to know how the universe works.
                              Retired 6th DB

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X