Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

backpacking locations

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • backpacking locations

    Me and my best friend have always wanted to go backpacking some day, and I recently suggested that in a year or two we plan a backpacking trip somewhere together. I wanted to get some ideas of where to go. Ideally I'd like to go to remote places that might take a bit of hiking but are worth the trip. We'd like to camp out there for a few days. So, any suggestions? We're not planning on going for another year or two, seeing as her son is 10 months old or so now.

    Thanks in advance to all who reply.

  • #2
    Re: backpacking locations

    Need a starting location, region, country, anything.

    I live in California and have family that work in Yosemite so it’s a favorite for the wife and I. The Muir trail was a winner in my bachelor days.

    Sarcoma
    Sarcoma.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: backpacking locations

      Might I suggest a trip somewhere in the Smoky Mountains? (Specifically where I cannot say, but the country up there is gorgeous.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: backpacking locations

        There are some great sites along the Appalachian Mountain Trail, I'm actually planning on hiking the whole thing summer after next.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: backpacking locations

          I suggest europe menth, i did it the fall after i graduated, i worked my ass off that summer and went with some friends. I suggest getting a euro-rail pass, and look up hostels on the internet, i can give you some places i traveled both with friends and when i backpacked alone.

          let me know if europe is a place you are thinking about.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

          sigpic




          Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: backpacking locations

            Originally posted by mentholated View Post
            Me and my best friend have always wanted to go backpacking some day, and I recently suggested that in a year or two we plan a backpacking trip somewhere together. I wanted to get some ideas of where to go. Ideally I'd like to go to remote places that might take a bit of hiking but are worth the trip. We'd like to camp out there for a few days. So, any suggestions? We're not planning on going for another year or two, seeing as her son is 10 months old or so now.

            Thanks in advance to all who reply.
            So...you'll be backpacking with an infant? big thing to plan for, upping the complexity level (and pack weight) considerably.

            I've done my fair share of backpacking in the Northeast and would be glad to clue you in to some good backpacking locales--but--we need more info to help you get started--especially your ability level and ability to travel to your trailhead. I can give you remote locations and I can give you locations you might not see people in a month's worth of camping. How remote do you want to be. If you've got an infant with you I'd think through this question for a considerable time. I didn't bring my son backpacking until he was 8.

            For myself--I always wanted to backpack in and around the village of Chamonix in France. Chamonix sits at the foot of Mt Blanc, tallest mountain in the Alps. If you've got the inclination and the budget I'd say look into it.

            Check out Backpacker magazine. That publication always has reports of trip destinations both exotic and local.
            sigpic
            |TG-1st|Grunt
            ARMA Admin (retired)
            Pathfinder-Spartan 5

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: backpacking locations

              Check out HAVASU CANYON, ARIZONA. Great hike, awesome location for an over night stay or two.


              18th SF Operational Detachment Delta

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: backpacking locations

                Originally posted by Grunt 70 View Post
                So...you'll be backpacking with an infant? big thing to plan for, upping the complexity level (and pack weight) considerably.

                I've done my fair share of backpacking in the Northeast and would be glad to clue you in to some good backpacking locales--but--we need more info to help you get started--especially your ability level and ability to travel to your trailhead. I can give you remote locations and I can give you locations you might not see people in a month's worth of camping. How remote do you want to be. If you've got an infant with you I'd think through this question for a considerable time. I didn't bring my son backpacking until he was 8.

                For myself--I always wanted to backpack in and around the village of Chamonix in France. Chamonix sits at the foot of Mt Blanc, tallest mountain in the Alps. If you've got the inclination and the budget I'd say look into it.

                Check out Backpacker magazine. That publication always has reports of trip destinations both exotic and local.
                No, I don't think we'd be backpacking with her son. As for starting location, either Philadelphia or Boston. As for seeing people, preferably remote but not so remote that we couldn't be found within a month or two if we died and never returned home.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: backpacking locations

                  My wife and I are planning a multi-night backcountry hike in Shenandoah National Park, and there are a variety of suggested hikes and camp sites off the trails on their web site (http://nps.gov/shen). I would imagine other national parks' web sites have similar info.
                  "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
                  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

                  - Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: backpacking locations

                    Area 51.

                    The grassy gnoll.

                    Chernobyl.

                    More seriously, I've never backpacked, so don't have a clue. Yosemite maybe, or New Mexico and Arizona. (I've driven through those two states and they're gorgeous.) California, from Oregon to San Diego.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

                    snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

                    Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: backpacking locations

                      Lots of great places in Arizona. Havasu Canyon is closed until at least Spring due to flooding. Fossil Springs is an incredible place but it is accessible enough that you will see other people there. The Rincon mountains near Tucson are nice but a really tough hike.
                      sigpic

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: backpacking locations

                        I'm planning on backpacking Europe once I graduate this year.

                        If you are serious about backpacking, and doing it right, I urge you to check this website.

                        http://www.couchsurfing.com/


                        Community, not corporation!

                        TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

                        Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

                        Irregs PR CO

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: backpacking locations

                          Originally posted by mentholated View Post
                          No, I don't think we'd be backpacking with her son. As for starting location, either Philadelphia or Boston. As for seeing people, preferably remote but not so remote that we couldn't be found within a month or two if we died and never returned home.
                          Awkward.
                          ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                          No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

                          <---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

                          Comment

                          Connect

                          Collapse

                          TeamSpeak 3 Server

                          Collapse

                          Advertisement

                          Collapse

                          Twitter Feed

                          Collapse

                          Working...
                          X