Atheism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheism

"I don't know that Atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."-GWB(the first).

I once read a statistic that showed Athiests were the most hated people in the U.S. Sadly, i lost the site where i found it, so i have no idea if it is credible. What i do know, however, is that once people realize i am athiest (GASP), they tend to treat me different. Some people are even offended. I'm not one to openly attack religion either, im pretty tolerant of every religion on this planet to be honest. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Please try and keep this thread clean, and troll free.
    Also, if anyone is interested in discussing atheism and my reason for choosing it, feel free to PM me.

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Re: Athiesm

Are you really Atheist, or are you Agnostic?
    Skud

Comment

Skud raises a valid point. There is a sea of difference between the two.

Comment

Well, then simply do not talk about your religion, if you don't want them to hate you. Yes, it's sad, but there will always be stupid, ignorant people who think that only their belief is (against all scientific proof against it) right and everything else is wrong and claiming that there isn't even any kind of god is even worse for them, but hey, I don't think that such people are even worth getting upset about them. And as for the GWB citation - well, most US politicians (especially republicans) sadly do at least act as if they were extremely religious, simply to gain support, just look at McCain - he isn't a religious person either (according to a former Navy comrade of him), but allies with a lot Christian fundamentalists.

Comment

Re: Atheism

Removing religion from the equation. It take s a pretty big head to know for sure that you are the most powerful being in the universe.

Comment

I believe even if you are an atheist, agnostic, or religious you can still have spirituality.

Spirituality in my eyes, is a far cry from entrenched ideas from any quarter.

However, as the threadstarter shows, it begins with being open, and I also believe there are many in every 'bracket', above, that adhere and uphold this.

However there are many in every bracket that do not, incuding those that simply don't care.

The point of spirituality, in a brief and by no means whole description, is to be open to yourself and others through honesty, and yes, viewing things externally instead of internally; mixing with people. Being rigorous in your actions, being kind and open, not judging, not being the centre, and looking to something out of yourself, be it a tree, nature, or the universe (in my case) to remind yourself that you are not the centre and to ask if you could do good that day to another and yourself, without your own ego, and faults getting in the way.

Too often, in any quarter I have seen, witnessed, and been judged from those people who believe their religion, or athiethsm, specifically (agnostics tend not to be so 'entrenched' by proxy), as a matter of diatribe, brow beating, or engineering to make the person social misfitting. We are social animals after all, and so what better way to control or make somone adhere, or be punished, and unhappy; and not spirituality.

Comment

I don't have anything to add to the conversation, other than to share this good article here which I read a while back. These guys think that "real" atheists should loathe religion and have no obligation to be tolerant of it: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/atheism.html
              "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
              He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                Removing religion from the equation. It take s a pretty big head to know for sure that you are the most powerful being in the universe.
                You're calling every atheist arrogant and putting words in our mouths. Why?
                I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I would say, enjoy burning in hell.

Comment

Agnostic here, although atheism in my mind is a lot more believable than any religion, and RudeBoy what year were those articles made in? I'm not sure but I bet a lot has changed just within the last 10 years about feelings on atheism.
                    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkudDestroyer View Post
                      Are you really Atheist, or are you Agnostic?
                      What would you call someone who's stance is "I see no reason to believe there is a god, and so will assume and act as if there isn't, but should incontrovertible evidence to the contrary arise, would be willing to revisit my beliefs to incorporate that new evidence"?
                      I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

I'm a secular humanist.

I do not think it's fair to label atheists as anything but what they are - nontheists. Rejection of deities does not necessarily mean complete rejection of some kind of 'supreme being.' Universal laws of physics are a kind of supreme being.

Comment

Originally posted by UnDeaD77 View Post
                          I would say, enjoy burning in hell.
                          *Must...not...counterflame...*

Uh, and just by the way, a little question - how could a infinitely good god condemn any being (and may he or she be the worst mass murderer ever walking on this planet) to torture and suffering?

Nah, seriously now. That's one of the reasons why I generally hold a grudge against (organized) religion. A lot of religious people view their own believes as superior (since they were already indoctrinated as childs), regarding anything that stands against their religion as evil, instead of just looking on their religion as a philosophy, a way of life, something to make their own and other people's life more enjoyable.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                            What would you call someone who's stance is "I see no reason to believe there is a god, and so will assume and act as if there isn't, but should incontrovertible evidence to the contrary arise, would be willing to revisit my beliefs to incorporate that new evidence"?
                            I'd call you an atheist and say I respect your right to that belief.

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                              That doesn't jive (although I grasp what you are trying to say). Is any being more powerful than a human God? Who here has said they believe they are the most powerful being in the universe?

Unfortunately, being judged on your religious beliefs(or lack thereof) is the way of the mankind. It has been that way before written history. Religion and religious belief is as much a part of humanity as war, love, and music. I imagine disagreement over these beliefs have occurred since they entered scene one, stage left.

Even as a Christian, I've found places (namely the internet and my undergraduate Philosophy department) that are outright hostile towards my religious beliefs. Not necessarily directed at me, but at Christianity (well, mostly Evangelicals--which I'm not) in general. And, in my opinion, not without reason either.

Likewise, religious people can find a lot of absurd notions in the modern Humanist movements.

There is no easy resolution to the animosity people feel towards someone whose fundamental belief structure is different from theirs.

You start out amicable towards them but eventually you run into enough that are hostile towards your beliefs that you are embittered towards the entire group. You accept and maybe begin to vocalize the generalities and stereotypes of the group that has been hostile towards you. You see why you are right and they are wrong. You find others that have likewise been mistreated and embrace this community. The other group is "ignorant" and "unrighteous," "arrogant" and "uncaring;" incapable of seeing their injustices. You see their shortcomings to which they are blind and you feel better than than them for it. You are better than them.
                              It's easy enough to see how the divisiveness forms, but is it so easy to deconstruct it?

I don't have anything to add to the conversation, other than to share this good article here which I read a while back. These guys think that "real" atheists should loathe religion and have no obligation to be tolerant of it: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/atheism.html
                              I've read Dawkins and Harris and while their attacks and pokes can be used against all religion, they primarily focus on Christianity. And while it may benefit their pocketbooks to shout at giants, I think they would find an indirect approach more beneficial to their cause.

One of the many points I agree with them on is that people don't change their base behavior because of a belief (or lack of belief) in a deity. It just doesn't happen.
                              ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                              No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X