Disgruntled Ex-GameStop Employee Takes it to YouTube

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disgruntled Ex-GameStop Employee Takes it to YouTube

I found this very, very interesting, informative, sad, and hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhistleBlowerZero

Worth your time, even if his voice takes some getting used to. Emulates the Zero Punctuation style of "reviewing" with the aim of taking on GameSpot corporate practice.

I guess just keep spreading this information to as many gaming or generic news sites that you frequent...I think this kind of stuff deserves to get out there, especially amongst the more committed gaming crowd.

-Zephyr
    You were once like the newbie who needed a hand from above and TacticalGamer gave you it.

You owe the newbie who comes after you that same outstretched hand from above on your honor as a Tactical Gamer.

Tactics at TG come from trust and friendship, not meticulous detail and rigid discipline.

Everyone should be assumed mature until proven otherwise.

We are no clan.
    We are not a single game.
    We are mature, intelligent, and cooperative individuals.
    We are TacticalGamer, a community above and beyond its name.

Re: Disgruntled Ex-GameStop Employee Takes it to YouTube

hada fuda buda fana hana muna buna.

I cant understand a word of it.

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

That guy made a lot of sense in my opinion.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

i dont think its anything that a normal person with half a bit of common sense wouldn't already know. The only real thing that place is good for is the used console systems.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

So some guy rips off Zero Punctuation and thinks what he has to say is original?

I'll pass.
          Skud

Comment

I thought it was highly amusing, and though I visit GameStop infrequently I had no idea their business practices were as shady as outlined. If what was said in the "comic" was true.

It's a ripoff if Zero Punctuation, but, it's in the format ZP is in. Of which... I wouldn't know what format that was even if it had a name. "Micro Machineic"?

For all of my new Wii games, I just go to Target. I used to buy a couple of used PS2 games, but that was in the in-between time over a year ago when I stopped playing WoW, but hadn't bought my Wii yet.
            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

When reading a review, I find it best to look at what is said in the article rather than the score because one person may rate it high due to some features that I hate and would make me not like the article. Reviews are so subjective anyway, so I doubt this guy has anything really useful to say about how gamespot rates games. Even if they take money to rate a game better than it is, that wouldn't be some surprising revelation.

Comment

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
                When reading a review, I find it best to look at what is said in the article rather than the score because one person may rate it high due to some features that I hate and would make me not like the article. Reviews are so subjective anyway, so I doubt this guy has anything really useful to say about how gamespot rates games. Even if they take money to rate a game better than it is, that wouldn't be some surprising revelation.

I think you are confusing gamespot with gamestop. One gives good reviews and information for games...the other bends you over and hurts your insides while buying your games only to turn around and sell them for 946% profit.
                |TG-8th Mercs|*New to TG? Start here*Become a Supporting Member

Comment

I see lol. I did mistake the two.

Comment

I always thought it was obvious that they where making a ton of money off used games.

When the used game is only a couple of dollars cheaper than the new who would buy the used? Gamestop isn't exactly hiding anything. Go up to them and ask how much they will pay for a used game then ask how much they sell the used game for. They will answer truthfully.

I buy about half my games from gamestop, all used. If you wait you can find a good deal.
                    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Play-n-Trade is where its at. (And yes I do have two turn-tables...)

But that's mainly because they have a crazy used section that goes further than just last generation, i.e. the one by my house has a Power Glove.
                      BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                      CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                        I buy about half my games from gamestop, all used. If you wait you can find a good deal.
                        I used to go to GameStop, but I can't get myself to do it any more. I've had a couple issues buying "new" games that turned out to be not so new which affirms the concerns I've always had with their new games being opened in the first place.

I do all my game buying (for my PS3/360) at GameCrazy now. My games come sealed in shrink wrap and are actually NEW copies, used prices are better, and around where I am I have found the staff to be friendlier.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                          I used to go to GameStop, but I can't get myself to do it any more. I've had a couple issues buying "new" games that turned out to be not so new which affirms the concerns I've always had with their new games being opened in the first place.
                          I used to work at a Babbages in Tallahassee when I was in college.

It was common practice for employees to borrow new titles for a week, bring them back and repackage them complete with shrink wrap and new price sticker.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis View Post
                            I had that same issue with a game. It was "New", but opened. I watched them take a disk and stick it in a box and hand it to me. I inquired as to why I could not have a shrink wrapped and he showed me the stack of boxes and disks. They took them all out. I guess they can do what they want at that point. If it wasn't the last of my store credit I would have went elsewhere.
                            |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

What annoyed me about GameStop is how they took over a GREAT videogame store in San Antonio that used to carry ALL generations of game systems and any import you could imagine. GameStop on the other hand doesn't even carry PS1 games anymore. I'd love to still hunt down Saturn games, some SNES games, etc., but they don't offer that service any more. A real slap in the face to the true gamers that made that company what it is today in the first place.

Now on the other hand, from a business perspective, those old used games use up valuable inventory space. Not too many people are interested in that old stuff, so more inventory + less buying = less profit. I also would believe that they take new games out of their boxes to prevent theft. Theft is a big problem in some areas, especially among the teen demographic which is of course the main demo for game buying. Since GameStop is a publicly traded company, it is important to keep the shareholders happy, which means maximize profit in any way possible, which then in turn screws over the core customer. From a gamer perspective, this annoys me, but they obviously know how to run a profitable and successful business, so I can see why they do some of these things.
                              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X