• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "What Makes People Vote Republican?"

Excellent article.
    Enjoy!
    What Makes People Vote Republican?

Re: "What Makes People Vote Republican?"

Interesting article. Alas, he mentions libertarians only once. (We're the guys who embrace selfishness, and still hold true to Mill's ideals.)

The article links to a set of surveys here:

http://www.yourmorals.org/
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Stopped reading when he compared republicans to Hitler supporters. That was 2 lines in to his article and I am no longer interested.

Community, not corporation!

TG-Irr BetterDeadThanRe(D)

Xfire-BetterDeadThanRed1

Irregs PR CO

Comment

Your reading comprehension is laughable.

Comment

Indeed, you need to be careful with all Edge.org articles because many times (especially from the literary elites) the phrasing in the language is quite complex.

Hint: read sentences and paragraphs more than once if you think your comprehension to be mistaken

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
            lol too true :row__572:
            Dizlor

Comment

From the article:

We psychologists have been examining the origins of ideology ever since Hitler sent us Germany's best psychologists, and we long ago reported that strict parenting and a variety of personal insecurities work together to turn people against liberalism, diversity, and progress.
              Reading is FUNdamental! ;)
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I've always felt that it must be some sort of hard wired genetic defect. ;)
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post

Haha, love this guy's responses... but always thought it was money, upper class type influence and just the way their parents raised them..?
                  "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                  'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I blame the lizard men. And the mind control satellite hovering over Six Flags.
                    In game handle: Steel Scion
                    sigpic

Comment

This author just doesn't get it.

He states that Democratic policies would benefit poor working class people. When you start with those assumptions, anything is possible!
                      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post

He states that Democratic policies would benefit poor working class people. When you start with those assumptions, anything is possible!
                        I agree, kinda.

Democratic policies do directly benefit the working poor more often. You can make the case that Republican policies might benefit the working poor indirectly.

But that is not the point of the article.
                        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

The poor suffer most the effects of minimum wage laws; it's the poor who find it more difficult to find a job or are straight laid off because of these laws.

It's the poor who suffer most the effects of government favoritism of unions; existing workers lock in higher pay schedules, making it more difficult for those without sweetheart deals to find employment. Similar effect overall to the minimum wage laws, only stronger (worse). Ultimately, union deals may strangle the companies paying these poor working people, leading to bankruptcy; see GM, Ford, Chrysler, many US airlines. This can also lead to not only fewer jobs but also to less consumer choice, higher prices, worse service. Bad for the working poor.

These are two leading issues for Democrats, and both directly harm the poor working class folks.
                          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

The poor suffer most the effects of minimum wage laws; it's the poor who find it more difficult to find a job or are straight laid off because of these laws.

It's the poor who suffer most the effects of government favoritism of unions; existing workers lock in higher pay schedules, making it more difficult for those without sweetheart deals to find employment. Similar effect overall to the minimum wage laws, only stronger (worse). Ultimately, union deals may strangle the companies paying these poor working people, leading to bankruptcy; see GM, Ford, Chrysler, many US airlines. This can also lead to not only fewer jobs but also to less consumer choice, higher prices, worse service. Bad for the working poor.

These are two leading issues for Democrats, and both directly harm the poor working class folks.
                            Hmmm, so easily getting a $2/hour job is better than a slightly harder to find $6.55/hour job?

And labor unions hurt the workers? GM is failing because of labor unions? It has nothing to do with it's inability to operate effectively within the market? I don't deny that labor unions are an extra hurdle for many companies. But I also think they are used as an escape goat for lazy and ineffective upper management.

Again, these things do benefit the working poor directly. But, depending on your belief system, might indirectly be burdens.

And again, this is not the point of the article.
                            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

He doesn't state that they would. He states that they would seem to.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X