No announcement yet.

This topic is closed.
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9/11

Well, it's the 7th anniversary of that tragic day in these United States of America. I just want to take a moment to remember those American citizens who lost their lives, all the firefighters, the police, and their families. I remember that day all too well. I was in tech school at Shepherd Air Force Base in Wichita Falls, TX. I remember one of the instructors running into our classroom telling us we have got to check this out. "Some moron just ran into the World Trade Center!" We all thought it was a stupid pilot. We were wondering, how on earth could you miss that big old building? Well, we were watching live as the second plane hit. My jaw dropped and my heart sank. I remember seeing people jumping out of the building. I remember the brave firefighters, police, and many civilians running back into the flaming building to save others. Then the Pentagon was hit. The other plane was run aground before hitting it's target, thanks to some brave brave people. All the military bases were put on lockdown and we were up to Threatcon Delta. The only time in my military career, I'd ever see it that high. It was the most eerie day I can ever think of in my lifetime.

While it was a sad time in American history, it was also a high point in our history. While I was losing faith in many of the American people at the time, it showed me what we as a nation are capable of. I saw so many people come together. The people in NYC handled themselves amazingly. Patriotism was at an all time high. People joined the military in record numbers. Whereas before, many of my friends had given me a hard time about joining up (during peacetime), after 9/11 every one seemed proud of me. Even strangers would thank me constantly when I was in uniform. A sad, but a remarkable time in our nation. I'd never seen anything like it.

Let us all take a moment to reflect on that day and remember the victims and their familes. Where were you on September 11, 2001?
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Re: 9/11

I agree that waking up on 9/11 was one of the most shocking experiences of my life. The scary things were what happened in the aftermath. My wife lost her best friend and another good friend. My parents lost one of their friends who lived down the street from us at the time.

one of the things we can not let happen though is the tearing apart this country has recieved from politicians politicizing 9/11. Spreading lies about who was responsible and who wasn't at fault.

some good viewing sources of information are: (the first part is how religion is a scam, extremely eye opening, second part is about 9/11, third part is how our government propogates war for profit)

questions about the pentagon attack

loose change, one of the videos that started it all

Thanks for starting this thread. I've been thinking back all morning to that day.

My wife and I were in our bedroom getting ready for the workday when my son, who was 11 at the time, came into the room and told us to turn on the TV. The first plane had already hit, and the newscasters really had no idea what was going on yet. I think at that point, they didn't even know what kind of plane it was. Then the second plane hit and I felt like everything just drained out of me, legs got weak, etc.. I couldn't believe this was happening! It was a solemn drive to work, listening to news radio. Once I got to the office, we turned on the TV, and nobody worked. We all stood around the TV, mostly silently watching. When the first building fell, everyone in the room was still oddly silent, a couple of folks whispering "Oh my God". News of other aircraft possibly being involved was coming in and NONE of us knew what the hell was really happening yet I don't think. I mean, obviously by then, we knew we were under some kind of attack, but the details were beyond anyone's grasp at that point. Living in a town that has a LARGE military presense (Shriever AFB, Peterson AFB, NORAD, Fort Carson and the Air Force Academy) caused me to begin to wonder if it was only a matter of time before attacks began happening here, as well as at other miliary installations all over the country. Then we received e-mails from our son's school that they were now on complete lockdown, but that if parents wished to take their kids home, they could. I left work and got him. I don't know that it was that I was really worried that his school being attacked as much as that I just wanted to have all of my family in one place at one time, a little bit of peace and harmony in what was becoming an AWFUL day. The eeriest part for me in it all was for at least a week after 9/11, we had fighter jet patrols at VERY high altitudes over Colorado Springs day and night. You couldn't see them at all, but you almost constantly could here the distant roar of their engines. The funny part was that is was more disconcerting than comforting.

In the end, I could not have been any prouder of my country! I don't know that anything could have been handled better than it was. And people can say what they want about how we're in Afghanistan and Iraq for oil or whatever, but I think most of the world has a better understanding of what will happen when you F*#! with the US of A! Push us, and you're sure as hell getting pushed back!

God bless those who died that day, and in military action since that day. God bless those that survive them. And God bless the USA!
      |TG-55| Infantry Division - Former Captain

Thank you for starting this thread, i can't believe its 7 years already......I lost some good friends that day, and the weirdest thing is that my father is in the commercial real estate business, and he helped move cantor fitzgerald to the towers, and that morning the architectural design team in his firm was supposed to have a meeting at cantor at 8am, however at the last minute it was changed to the afternoon.

The friends that i knew that died worked at cantor.

I was in college at the time near boston in my junior year, and i distinctly remember my friend dave bursting into my room of the house we lived in with 5 other friends and saying "PK (thats my nickname from college) get up, something has happened in NY!(mind you i was hungover at the time)" Now mind you its around 8ish or so and i didn't really pay any attention, but then i heard a lot of commotion downstairs, and the tv was on, and as I walked down the stars into the area where the TV was I saw the second plane hit the tower......

It still feels even though its been seven years that it was yesterday, the stories i heard about that fateful day you might not believe.....

God Bless the families and friends of the victims of the towers, FDNY, MTA Police, NYPD, EMT and to all our troops serving both at home and abroad, God Bless America!
        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
        Level II Volunteer FireFighter
        Level I HazMat Technician
        NYS EMT-B
        Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
        RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
        Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
        Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
        We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

I was at school at the time of the attacks (early afternoon in the UK). I was probably about 8 or 9 at the time. My mum had come to pick me and my older brother up from school, and while she was waiting for us to come out of the classroom, she was talking to the other parents. One mentioned that there was some news breaking about an incident in Manhattan, so we walked home quickly and turned on the TV, around the time the second plane hit. It shocked me especially, as less than a year earlier we had been on holiday to New York City, and been up to the top of one of the WTC towers.

It was a horrible day, but the Firemen, Policemen, and everyone else who helped did brilliantly. Never forget.
          |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
          Irregular since 2007.

While I'm in no country where something like that could happen and also was still pretty young when it was all over the TVs, I was very shocked as well (and still am). What happened on the 11th September back in 2001 was truly a horrible thing - but it also showed what a great nation the USA is: there were so many people who truly showed that they love their country even beyond the way other people usually do (and very much beyond pretty much all people here in Austria love their land). Those men and women are, in my eyes, true heroes, and while I am no citizen of the United States (yet), I respect them very greatly and really wish there were people like that in my homeland too.

RIP and sorry for all the losses to the families..
              "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
              'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

I remember watching CNN 7 years ago, watching the towers burn....I am from Croatia, but I felt like my whole family was in those towers and like I lived in NYC for ages. Our prayers are with you. Never forget.
                Walk softly and carry a big gun.

I was in the hospital with my wife in labor with our daughter so it was a great day but also such a sad day for so many...

I worked in NYC at the time. I used to take the train to Hoboken and the path train to the World Trade Center. I walked through it at 8am on my way to work which was about 10 minutes from the World Train Center. My train had been delayed on my way to work that morning because of signal issues. Once I got to work...I was sitting at my desk on my phone working on a problem with two associates when one of them said someone ran into the towers. I went over to the window and couldn't believe my eyes, seeing the smoke come out of the gaping hole in the building. Then I saw the second plane hit.

We went outside to see what was going on and saw people leaping from the towers to save themselves from burning to death.

Our bosses told us to leave and go home a little later, that's when the first tower collapsed and it was chaos, people running all over and a huge cloud of dust and debris swallowing streets as it approached me.

I didn't get home until 9pm that night and had nightmares for weeks afterward. I didn't.go back to that site to work for two weeks, working from home. The hardest thing was going back and seeing ground zero every day. Memories I will carry until the day I die...

I hope the surviving families have some consolation on this very difficult day.
                    Last edited by Photometric; 09-11-2008, 06:20 PM.

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Magnum |TG-18th|

We stand between chaos and order, evil and good, despair and hope - we are the Thin Blue Line, and we will never be broken.

I was in the fifth grade when the towers fell. I remember it clearly. My whole class felt angry and confused that something like this could happen to the United States. I didn't think of it until now, but it greatly affected us.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

My gosh, seven years since this happened. My heart goes out to all the families that were/still affected by the events.

| |

I was only 9 at the time, when my dad came to pick me up he told me what had happend. I was completely oblivious to what these buildings were or even what really happend. Now, that I understand, my heart goes out to those affected.

I hate to say and there is no disrespect in what I say, infact what I write I say with a positive light (missing out alot of negative political history, mindsets and attitudes for this purpose) and hope you see it. It didn't even cross my mind, since I was busy working here in the UK.

What crossed alot of people's mind then was this was the USA's wakeup call to how they act to others.

It was a terrible event.

But today I meet alot of people from the 'States' that speak more openly. It changed a mindset. They even speak apologetically, which I tell them not to. Many who spoke like this before this date, now have more of a voice in the mindset.

If only now the politicians would not flex their moronic muscles at Russia (who have a right to be pissed, to be honest) and stop talking claptrap about 'terrorists'. The biggest terror got a whack that day, in many people's eyes, including those in it. What happened after is still terror, people fear to even enter the country, people get put in prison and tortured for no reason. They act like the 'devil' they say they fight against. They mourn something as if it is a scar that they have never put upon others and feel they have a right to be solomn.

The terror of the towers to innocents was horrendous.
                              Last edited by Taip3n; 09-11-2008, 07:45 PM.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed