US special forces in Pakistan

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US special forces in Pakistan

First you hear the outrage of people like Bush, Cheney and McCain over Russia's retaliatory invasion of Georgia. Their hypocritical rhetoric such as how could they invade a soveriegn nation (like we did in Iraq)

Then you find out that we have been sending our special forces into Pakistan, another Soveriegn nation, but thats ok because the president/vice president said its ok. Granted I think we should have pulled our support from Pakistan a while ago considering it was the top General in Pakistan who funded 9/11, and they are allowing the taliban/al quaeda to camp out in their mountains. But we gave them unfettered access to nuclear weapons as well as give them a ton of money each year. Just goes to show how the republicans are protecting america by supporting countries like pakistan while ignoring our own peoples safety, security or financial needs.

Re: US special forces in Pakistan

This should be an interesting thread.

But...I think you are talking apples and oranges here. There are clear differences between US Spec Ops operations in Pakistan and the Russian Occupation of a breakaway republic. Not the least of which is that US Spec Ops forces were operating in Pakistan with at least a tacit approval from the Pakistani government.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

[sniff] [sniff] whats that I smell....? Oh thats right, a flame thread. I do love the smell of burnt internets.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilly View Post
        First you hear the outrage of people like Bush, Cheney and McCain over Russia's retaliatory invasion of Georgia. Their hypocritical rhetoric such as how could they invade a soveriegn nation (like we did in Iraq)

Then you find out that we have been sending our special forces into Pakistan, another Soveriegn nation, but thats ok because the president/vice president said its ok. Granted I think we should have pulled our support from Pakistan a while ago considering it was the top General in Pakistan who funded 9/11, and they are allowing the taliban/al quaeda to camp out in their mountains. But we gave them unfettered access to nuclear weapons as well as give them a ton of money each year. Just goes to show how the republicans are protecting america by supporting countries like pakistan while ignoring our own peoples safety, security or financial needs.
        i was going to post something but i will refrain from posting anything especially since its 9/11 and i am afraid that i will blow a gasket and say something very mean, towards those who do not support our troops and think the government is so horrible etc etc etc......
        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
        Level II Volunteer FireFighter
        Level I HazMat Technician
        NYS EMT-B
        Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
        RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
        Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
        Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
        We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

my point wasnt a comparison to whats going on in georgia to that of pakistan or iraq, it is to point out the hypocrocy of the government to be so liberal in name calling and accusations and then basically do the same types of actions that they are condemning.

Randy, to say someone who opposes war is against the troops is crazy. I am for the troops, so much for the troops that I fail to see how they are protecting America by being in Iraq, a country that had nothing to do with the war on terror. To see all of these troops wounded and dead because of a political/economic war is a disgrace to the troops and anyone who supports this war is against the troops. I come from a family of soldiers, my grandfather and great uncle were both decorated WW2 heroes, my father was drafted for vietnam (another scam war imo) two of my cousins are in the military too, one was just deployed in Iraq the other in Afghanistan. I would have been in the air force if I had not had a medical condition which prevented me from joining.

And our government is horrible, they used the events on 9/11 to further enrich them and their friends in the "global war on terror" which I use loosly because we really havent fought terrorism, we have occupied a country and abandoned it (afghanistan) to go to war in Iraq which has made billionaires out of people involved. It is virtually the first private war this country has had with the second largest contingent of armed forces being private contractors. How is it good that this government has bankrupted this country, worn out our military, taken away civil liberties, destroyed the bill of rights, invaded our privacy, tortured and murdered innocent people in our names and decimated our economy? How can you say that our government has been looking out for the people when all of that has come during the last 8 years and been in the making for the last 30.

Comment

Do you want to look at world events - including American foreign policy - from a neutral perspective or from the position of American interest? I guarantee you that by comparing the two, you'll find conflict and open hypocricy at almost every point.

Most industrialized nations, especially the 'superpowers,' ultimately make decisions in their own self-interest regardless of the legitimacy or even the legality of those decisions. This is nothing very new, and America is not only no exception but is in fact the world leader in such actions. Often times the rationale for making such decisions is that they were in reaction to someone else's illigitimate or illegal act (Saddam's perceived WMD's, the Taliban's harboring of Al Qaeda criminals). The example of the Georgian conflict is only the most recent one (and, for a change, does not explicity involve the U.S.). The fundamental consequence of such actions is that they often lead to further conflict - sometimes having no other connection than the illegitimacy of the act. A seemingly never ending chain of action/reaction/action ensues. Though some may debate it, this is the underlying basis of every armed conflict in the world today, including the 'war on terror.' The vast majority of these conflicts will undoubtedly lead to more conflict. Sometimes this is inevitable (such as the World Wars and yes, Afghanistan in response to 9/11/2001) but other times it is arguably avoidable (Vietnam, Iraq).

In addition to putting aside one's own national interest(s), it takes tremendous courage and faith in restraint to break this cycle. Unfortunately very few leaders display such courage, let alone understand it. This is primarily due to the obvious fact that as representatives of a sovreign nation, they are committed by default to representing the interests of that nation. Humankind is very much at crossroads in history right now, having both the power to quickly destroy all life on Earth and the power to break down the cycle of violence that still consumes so many populations. To me, the ultimate goal is to support leaders who understand this above all else.

Comment

Originally posted by Dilly View Post
              my point wasnt a comparison to whats going on in georgia to that of pakistan or iraq, it is to point out the hypocrocy of the government to be so liberal in name calling and accusations and then basically do the same types of actions that they are condemning.
              How can you say that you are not comparing them and then say they are the same thing all in one sentence?

:row__681:
              |TG-8th Mercs|*New to TG? Start here*Become a Supporting Member

Comment

I read about special forces going into pakistan last week............I just find it interesting that you posted this on 9/11........that is all....and furthermore you included 9/11 in your original post, of all the days this could have been posted, and maybe i am overreacting why you posted this today beats me......

and Rali3gh is right, you are comparing it......but as it goes in the sandbox you have the right to your own opinions, but i don't really feel like getting into this discussion, right now, i went to the WTC site today, and couldn't even stay for the memorial procession they had, i left within 15 minutes, and was on the brink of tears, my stomach is still in a knot, from it.

I will gladly respond to your response to me next week but right now i really don't have the patience to post....

I only hope dilly that today you think of our soldiers serving abroad and to the families that lost their loved ones on 9/11/2001 and February 26, 1993 when it was bombed the first time, both in the air, ground and in the buildings of the WTC, and the pentagon. And in those prayers you might come to the realization that Pakistan, whom i have never trusted from the get-go has been harboring elements of al qaeda, and then maybe you might have a different take on why special forces units went into pakistan.

Though technically we don't even know if this happened because last time i checked Special Forces Soldiers and personnel don't answer to the press, nor do they talk to the press...so for all we know it could have been pakistani soldiers who were choppered in by the US military.........and the article also lists NATO forces......

and though this article says U.S. Officials said "commandos" i don't even trust that, a u.s. official could be a security guard at the white house or at capitol hill.......

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...r=HOME_4409288
                Last edited by Delta*RandyShugart*; 09-11-2008, 04:04 PM.
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                Level I HazMat Technician
                NYS EMT-B
                Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

It doesn't matter if Pakistan is harboring fugitives, or Iraq or Afghanistan. Our soldiers shouldn't be in any of those 3 countries, but unfortunately they are, and will have to be there for many years to come.

Comment

Uhhh... US Special Forces have worked alongside Pakistani forces before, in attempts to find Bin Laden...
                    Skud

Comment

No big deal, we're not going to war or anything (with a 3rd country I mean)... We're just doing what they said they would do in trying to end the insurgency.
                      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

As long as we have the authorization of the Pakistani government, I see no problem. But if we are doing without permission, I think it's wrong.

Comment

We're not sending special forces into Islamabad, we're sending them into a region that, while technically is part of Pakistan, exists outside the dominion of any central government. "The Tribal Region".

IMO if Pakistan doesn't want us there they can do several things to discourage our SF troops from these incursions. For example, they can deploy a few thousand troops to the region. If they do that, then I expect we'll back off, since that's what we've been asking them to do for years any way. If they don't, then I'll take that as a signal that the Pakistan government may say one thing - expressing outrage, etc. - but their behavior is the real determining factor.

Comment

Originally posted by deathknight View Post
                            As long as we have the authorization of the Pakistani government...
                            We don't. The Pakistani government is either protecting the Al Qaeda presence or they're so stubborn about "fighting the war on terrorism" within their own borders that the lack of permission is purely nationalistic pride on their part.
                            | | |

Comment

My point is that without their consent, we are technically invading their country. It would be like if Mexico wanted to hunt terrorists, but the US government refused, and they sent in troops anyway.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X