Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time Travel - To the Past (and hence the future)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time Travel - To the Past (and hence the future)

No, this isnt a mentholated type post. :) This is about a viable theory based on sound physics by a man named Ronald Mallett PhD. Some of you may remember him from a story done on the History Channel. He's also been on Coast2CoastAM and a few others. Here's the bit on the History Channel:
    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGrBNtJjsU0&feature=related[/media]

The video basically explains most of what he's getting at so I wont rehash it. What really interests me though is the potential to acquire Information from the future literally the moment this device is turned on. How does this work? Well, his device basically creates a "time warp" within a subatomic-sized vortex of light. Dropping a neutron into this field sends it back in time (how you specify the time is beyond me) and back again.

The key here is that you can only send things back in time up to the moment the device was turned on. So, basically the moment the device would be turned-on (assuming it's left on infinitely) is the moment someone in the future would be able to send the particle back. The person in the PRESENT (who turned the machine on) would be receiving the neutron particle, or at least the information of its existence from certain points in the future. In a way we can look at the light-vortex as being perpetually "out-of-phase" from reality; neither here nor there, but every place at once.

Now, what's significant about the neutron particle? Well, we can look at it as a single "bit" of Information. Just like in a computer. A bit is simply a 1 or a 0. You can impart spin on the Neutron to represent this bit of information. You'd then send this bit through the apparatus to be "decoded" in the past with a spin analyzer. Many bits put together equals long strings of information. Concurrently, you could just as easily send particles at differing frequencies to represent a bit of Info. 2 neutrons every ms, or 1 neutron every ms. When the decoder see 2/ms that's a 1. When it sees 1/ms that's a 0. You can work these partcles into the basic binary system that pervades our computers and the Universe itself.

To further phreak you out. In this way you're literally able to transfer information between two totally separate Universes on completely different timelines. The reason this is the case is simple. If they were on the same timeline it'd create a potential paradox; If I sent bits of info. that said your father would die on August the 12th 2009, you'd likely find a way to prevent it, negating the need for me to have sent the info. in the 1st place. Current Physics however solves this paradox by supporting the notion of this "Metaverse" (infinite timelines) to explain a lot of why things are the way they are. It seems to gain traction every day.

Quite literally, the moment you drop Information into the apparatus and that Information is measured is the moment an entirely new universe is created; one with an entirely different timeline. When person (a) in 2010 tells person (b) in 2008 that his father will die in 2009 and person (b) measures this Info., that Universe effectively pops into existence and follows its own path... one in which person (b)'s father perhaps doesnt die. Person (a) who could even be the "same" person as person (b) will still see person (b)'s father as having died on Aug. the 12th 2009 though. He will have changed nothing in his Universe... but changed everything in person (b)'s.

So, from all of this we STILL cant logically travel into the past, and if we could we wouldnt be able to effect the future from doing-so, nor would we be able to return to our own timeline; we CAN however send Information (which is what's truly important). And as usual, traveling to the future on our own timeline is "relatively" easy. It just requires speed. The faster you go the slower time passes for you relative to the outside Universe... putting you in the future when you slow back down. But I digress. If we decompiled person (a) into his atomic/quantum makeup and sent the info. through the device to person (b), who recompiled the person based on the info sent... then person (a) will have effectively "transported" himself back in time. More appropriately, he will have transported himself (or rather his Information) to a different Universe. Or perhaps he'd just clone himself and send the info. Regardless, Information in this Metaverse is not effected by entropy.

Another thought: Seeing "visions" of the Future and acting on them is actually closer to actual Time Travel into the future then doing-so even on your own timeline. One could conceivably create a VR program that runs off the bits of info. sent from the future into Mallett's apparatus. The person in the past could then inject himself into an alternate reality from the future based on that info. In many ways it'd be just like stepping into a Time Machine and returning home when u shut it off. Of course, the moment the program runs is the moment his Universe detaches. And of course his visions would be completely virtual. Nevertheless he could act on his own timeline based from them.

So basically Mallett is about to send a particle back in time to really only have an effect on someone else's future. He will get no personal satisfaction from doing this aside from just the knowledge he's done something to someone someWHERE. What IS gratifying for him though, is that he'll effectively be seeing into the FUTURE with his device w/o having to travel near the speed of light himself. :)

Quite trippy eh? Ever seen that movie "Paycheck" with Ben Affleck? This is basically that type of technology for real.

(Ok, my head hurts and I'm tired. Gnite.)

p.s.
    Here's Mallett's book btw:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...661539?ie=UTF8

Re: Time Travel - To the Past (and hence the future)

Originally posted by Gambit7 View Post
    Quite trippy eh? Ever seen that movie "Paycheck" with Ben Affleck? This is basically that type of technology for real.
    I hate to disappoint, but this truly were "real" it would be huge news, but it isn't, so it isn't.

Comment

Unfortunately, there are a number of physicists who have shown that the physics doesn't support this guy's assertions. Or, rather, this guy has made a number of incorrect assumptions. For instance: http://www.springerlink.com/content/j217659m87336284/

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
        Unfortunately, there are a number of physicists who have shown that the physics doesn't support this guy's assertions. Or, rather, this guy has made a number of incorrect assumptions. For instance: http://www.springerlink.com/content/j217659m87336284/
        Not saying I agree with Mallett, I was just having a thought experiment mostly. But hey, physics wouldnt be physics if all of those grognards agreed on everything. So your statement is moot in a way. It's called progress.

Comment

Sorry, I was too busy living in the present to look into the future or reflect on the past.

:D
          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Is the controversy in physics similar to the controversy over global warming?

(BTW, is either controversy that different from the one discussed in the Atheism thread? The issue to some extent is what is acceptable as valid epistemology.)
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
              I hate to disappoint, but this truly were "real" it would be huge news, but it isn't, so it isn't.
              It was pretty big news a while back. I read about this in Popular Science or Discover, I think. The mainstream won't care, because it's not a DeLorean...
              Become a supporting member!
              Buy a Tactical Duck!
              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                Yah leejo, in Science circles this is the equivalent of the Paris Hilton video. Indeed, it's huge news. This man got just about as much face-time as Michio Kaku did/does. The real issue as CD so kindly pointed out, is that most dont even know who Michio Kaku is... let alone Mallett. Nor do they care or understand.

Anyways, just keep an eye on this. It's an interesting idea for Time Travel.

As the current realm of Physics evolves it'll either prove or disprove this device's viability. Underlying much of it is the Metaverse theory. BUT, in many ways if this device WORKS then that perhaps proves the theory outright through indirect experimentation.

Like Sordavie said, with every theory comes a torrent of objections. Mallett's work is no exception. But, I think another problem here is those objections though in SOME ways valid, should not supersede the need for funded experimentation. Too often in Science some bigwig like Stephen Hawking comes around and touts some fancy theoretical physics that makes what you're trying to do "impossible" and all of a sudden you're a crackpot.

The paradox here is that Stephen Hawking has himself been proven wrong many times. (sigh)

I say just let the guy do his work and see what happens.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X