Do not trust wikipedia!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do not trust wikipedia!!

My father has started an experiment with the website Wikipedia. He has created a fake town and planted inside the articles of the site. I can't get the spelling right but when i can, i'll show you guys.

The town has been up for a couple of months and my dad loves to mock things passively.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Re: Do not trust wikipedia!!

Sounds rather disingenuous on the part of your father. I bet there's a lot of earnest posters putting a lot of hard work into many if not most of the wiki content found on line. That's not quite passive in my book.
    sigpic
    |TG-1st|Grunt
    ARMA Admin (retired)
    Pathfinder-Spartan 5

Comment

Which is why you always cross-check your sources when you cite.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

You should try to do that, regardless of online site. As always there are exceptions. I would belive it if I read in Janes Defense webite, that the world was coming to an end. But not if I read it in a wiki or most other sites.

|TG-IRR|

Comment

Wiki is nice for background knowledge, but you should use multiple sources anyway.

Comment

Some of the stuff you find on wikipedia is laced with references to actual fact. Some isnt. As with anything, check your references.

Comment

Originally posted by Spulat View Post
              Which is why you always cross-check your sources when you cite.
              That's why you never cite wikipedia. In general, one shouldn't cite an encyclopedia.

Comment

Scroll down to the bottom of a wiki page and you'll find the sources people cited while writing the wiki articles. I use wikipedia all the time, but I also check out the original sources and make sure they are legit.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

There was a thing here in the news maybe a year age, about how some one that was traced to an internal PC in the Vatican had posted loads of lies etc all over wikipedia. lol, lesson here, dont trust anything!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                    That's why you never cite wikipedia. In general, one shouldn't cite an encyclopedia.
                    Has anyone actually ever thought of using wikipedia as a source? Sounds like suicide to an essay / research paper.

Comment

I've had students cite wikipedia before, and I've had students cite internet forums too. haha I also had one student who handed in a word for word copy of a large portion of a wikipedia article. He didn't have any citations; but he put the whole thing in quotes, as if that made things better.

Comment

Wiki is handy for looking up miscellaneous things. But large articles that a lot of people want to look up. (I.E The Large Hadron Collider.) Tend to get messed with sometimes. At least they try to ban those people. But if it's for an assignment or something, then you should have two or three sources.
                        Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, fast is deadly.

Blank stares of broken men...

Comment

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/12/16/

Enough said...

~ Draken

Comment

That sounds like it defeats the purpose of wikipedia.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
                              I've had students cite wikipedia before, and I've had students cite internet forums too. haha I also had one student who handed in a word for word copy of a large portion of a wikipedia article. He didn't have any citations; but he put the whole thing in quotes, as if that made things better.
                              Wouldnt it be funny if one of your students cited the TG forums someday? At least you'd be able to verify the source.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X