Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

after 85 years the lights are going off - Sad (doesn't matter if you are a fan or not

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• after 85 years the lights are going off - Sad (doesn't matter if you are a fan or not

But the Yankees pulled off a win last night.........

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: after 85 years the lights are going off - Sad (doesn't matter if you are a fan or

Yea, never was a big baseball fan, but this is still pretty saddening to me.

Comment

Re: after 85 years the lights are going off - Sad (doesn't matter if you are a fan or

It's sad because it doesn't benefit the fans. Bill Moyers contrasted the Yankee stadium story against the economic timeline this week - it's a sad story indeed for those of us who don't sit in the skyboxes and the private elevators cheering on the wealthiest team in baseball. It's especially ironic given what's happened over the past few weeks to America's overblown and overdebted investment sector. At what point are people going to say 'enough?'

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/09192008/watch3.html

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
        It's sad because it doesn't benefit the fans. Bill Moyers contrasted the Yankee stadium story against the economic timeline this week - it's a sad story indeed for those of us who don't sit in the skyboxes and the private elevators cheering on the wealthiest team in baseball. It's especially ironic given what's happened over the past few weeks to America's overblown and overdebted investment sector. At what point are people going to say 'enough?'

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/09192008/watch3.html
        mosely did you watch the game last night? because those fans and me being a fan were affected by it, and if you are referring to the building of the new stadium, well you also have to put into consideration that it is in fact a company that is being run and though i will agree with you on certain points, and bill moyers is right on certain levels, can you please not try to switch the convo to your personal feelings about the new yankee stadium and how expensive the tickets are etc etc etc.

Yankee Stadium (i personally do not totally agree with the building of the new stadium) Is a historic landmark IMPO in the United States, just as Fenway Park is and Wrigley Field, and it is one of the last few authentic stadiums still in existence, though it will soon be torn down.

Last night even though the yankees have no shot at making the playoffs, was both special and memorable in many different ways, and it is an ending of an era, which has helped fill baseball history books, and will continue to do so for years to come.

*On a side note, if you are a red sox fan, just wait because red sox tickets could very well be as expensive as yankee tickets......*
        Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
        NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
          Yankee Stadium (i personally do not totally agree with the building of the new stadium) Is a historic landmark IMPO in the United States, just as Fenway Park is and Wrigley Field, and it is one of the last few authentic stadiums still in existence, though it will soon be torn down.
          It absolutely is, and should't be torn down for a number of reasons. In my opinion it's being torn down primarily in the name of money and greed - oddly the same reasons that America's financial system is almost collapsing. It is a sea of sad truth.

I do consider myself a Red Sox fan. I don't like the ticket prices either, but I can at least appreciate the ownership listening to the fans and the city when they considered a teardown a couple of years ago. Fenway lives (with a few thousand more seats) today as a result of public interest winning out over the money chase.

Comment

I do agree with you, i think part of my reply was a bit harsh, and steinbrenner has gone off the deep end in several cases, though the one thing I will say is that the yanks organization did build it with their own money, and looking back on it now especially with all that has happened with the stock market and in the financial world over these last few months, the Mets Organization came out ahead, because they are lucky to have gotten the money from Citigroup when they did, because the new met's stadium could have easily become the new enron field on many different levels.

The New Yankee stadium along with the new Met's stadium will be considerbly smaller, due to the wanting of corporate boxes and seats.

Fenway though is in need of a facelift, hopefully it will recieve the facelift instead of the building of a new stadium, in my mind Yankee stadium should have gotten a face-lift instead of a stadium, but when you are dealing with steinbrenner you are more likely to jump out of a building and live than gaining any ground with that psycho.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

This reminds me of Jerry Johnson building a new Football stadium (uhhhh, why?)... I LoLLed at that also. Let's see, UM isnt playing at the Orange Bowl anymore either (uhhh, why?).

Typically these guys need SOME local monies if not land grants and/or subsidies to pull this stuff off (in this case, at the very least a historic landmark will be torn down yes? this is a loss to the community, not a gain). And in the end they've got a nice building in which they charge people even more money to sit within and simultaneously demand lower player salaries/profit-sharing.

It's gross and stupid IMO. The public doesnt like these shenanigans, but somehow they always creep through anyways.

Comment

Stadiums are often sold to the public as keeping or bringing in new tourist dollars. So the rest of the area's industry is taxed to subsidize the tourist industry.

It would be nice if we could get rid of all the subsidies, for all industries. Because it's just money going around in a circle, each of us feeding on another, while the politicians and bureaucrats who manage it all get to vampirically feed from all of us.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                  Stadiums are often sold to the public as keeping or bringing in new tourist dollars. So the rest of the area's industry is taxed to subsidize the tourist industry.

It would be nice if we could get rid of all the subsidies, for all industries. Because it's just money going around in a circle, each of us feeding on another, while the politicians and bureaucrats who manage it all get to vampirically feed from all of us.
                  This is how they supposedly want to build Marlins stadium in Florida, to go along with the monies and subsidies the taxpayer will have to pay as well. Since when is a stadium good for tourism btw?

So basically, we're demolishing a perfectly good college stadium that forces UM to pay H.Wayne Huizenga a huge amount of lease dollars so they have a place to play. The stadium demolishing then forces the legislature to pass law that pays for a Baseball stadium to go in its place because the current owners are too poor to afford to build their own. (in the meantime the team is gaining equity) Never mentioning that tourism is dropping like a rock down here because the economy is tanking and people arent that dumb anymore. (because Miami really aint all that cool)

(sigh)

Comment

don't get me wrong, the stadium is beautiful, the new NY METS stadium is also beautiful they have incorporated a lot of ebbets field and the polo grounds into it.

**If you don't know the METS are orange and blue to pay homage to the Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Giants before they moved to Los Angeles and San Francisco respectively.**
                    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                    NYS EMT-B

sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...