Whats wrong with todays youth?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats wrong with todays youth?

Seeing as how I AM today's youth, and everyone seems to have a theory on what we do wrong.... share your opinion on what you think. Hopefully in you doing so, i can make attempts to better myself and my peers. Be it from living on electronics, to a lack of moral ethics, to just not going to church as often as we should. What do you think?

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Re: Whats wrong with todays youth?

Today's youth are the same as they ever were, they just seem worse because we see it on TV.
    |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Today's youth is fine. Where do you even get off saying something like that?

Comment

Personally, in today's youth (and not all of them, but many), I see a sheer lack of motivation. I blame my generation, though, for not pushing today's kids harder in school. Just because a few kids are dumb, they assume everyone else should be brought down to the same level so more kids can pass. In this process, I believe many kids just aren't challenged enough and aren't very motivated in school because of this. I think we'll be ok, though. Adult generations always freak out about "kids these days," but we somehow keep managing to make it as a nation. Just do the best you can in your own personal life, make good grades, do your best at work, and you'll rule the world when you get older. The fact that you want to try and improve yourself says a lot about your personal character. Interesting thread.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
          Personally, in today's youth (and not all of them, but many), I see a sheer lack of motivation. I blame my generation, though, for not pushing today's kids harder in school. Just because a few kids are dumb, they assume everyone else should be brought down to the same level so more kids can pass. In this process, I believe many kids just aren't challenged enough and aren't very motivated in school because of this. I think we'll be ok, though. Adult generations always freak out about "kids these days," but we somehow keep managing to make it as a nation. Just do the best you can in your own personal life, make good grades, do your best at work, and you'll rule the world when you get older. The fact that you want to try and improve yourself says a lot about your personal character. Interesting thread.
          Basically you're saying that the government isn't pushing education hard enough. This isn't a problem with the youth.

Also we are in a huge crisis as a nation at the moment, ironically.

Comment

Which youth are we discussing?

I can rattle off the faces of all the ('tards) in my area that would fall under the "criminal for-life youth" category. Then there are the parents of those youth who, frankly, are no better than trash. I've often seen them drinking and smoking in front of their kids, swearing left and right, and generally pay no attention to what trouble their kids get into. Only later when they find out, they act as if their kids acted completely normal and that their behavior deserved a good reward instead of two uniformed officers in the front arguing with the mother.

Then there are the middle schoolers I've seen smoking, not just cigarettes mind you, but weed, drinking, etc. on a few corners late at night.

Not to speak ill of my area, but when I see these kids, I feel sad and angry at them. Sometimes I feel more anger than sadness when I see the way they treat other kids and even adults (especially the old).
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Todays youth... since I dont really know what Yesterdays youth was, there may not be very many things I can say. But what I've seen, is that todays youth would rather impress others then think for themselves.

In theory, all of todays youth is controlled by one person, who has a friend, who has a friend, who's friends with you, influencing you to do stupid peer pressure educed idiocy.

~Sirsolo
              |TG-Irr|Sirsolo since 18OCT08.

Carpe Diem

Comment

The problem with today's youth is they keep stepping on my lawn and skating at the boardwalk.

Comment

Well to be honest, it is the mentality of 'I know everything' and 'Things are diffrent - You don't understand!'

First off I realize now I don't know everything, and wow, they are going through the same crap I went through SO others do understand. I'm not too much older then them and I've figured this out, so there is hope.

~ Draken

Comment

A very broad generalization based on my own upbringing and observation of today's kids:

- no motivation, too apathetic
                    - they don't read books
                    - ignorant (e.g. can't tell the difference between Taiwan and Thailand, nucleus and neutron), no drive to learn
                    - horrible grammar and spelling
                    - can't do simple arithmetic without a calculator
                    - mistrust of well-educated people and experts in their field(s) of proficiency

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Originally posted by RudeBoy View Post
                      Seeing as how I AM today's youth, and everyone seems to have a theory on what we do wrong.... share your opinion on what you think. Hopefully in you doing so, i can make attempts to better myself and my peers. Be it from living on electronics, to a lack of moral ethics, to just not going to church as often as we should. What do you think?
                      I'm 'today's youth' too, in a way (I'm *ONLY* 23), at least I'm not that distanced from them, but here it is in a nutshell.

Lazy.
                      Stupid.
                      Horrible taste.

Tau_Neutrino echoed my feelings. Today's youth are just mind-numbingly retarded across the board. Part of it might be the government and lousy education, but I didn't become an awesome reader by 'learning' it at school. I didn't develop a vocabulary at school either, I learned it through reading. I didn't master grammar structure and proper spelling at school either, I learned it via the internet; typing on forums and chat and the like (and with the intent of not making myself look stupid by using shorthand 'u' 'b4', etc.). I have a photographic memory of sorts (not flawless by any stretch, but far better than most people's for me to call it such), so maybe that helped things, but I'm not a history or geography nerd, yet I can identify the northern coastline of Africa and tell you about the Napoleonic Wars.

No appreciation for art, music, and media. MTV and Hip Hop are all they care about, and if I mention a museum, no, that's "gay".

All kids want is instant gratification and to fit lame stereotypes. Skateboard and wear Abercrombie. A good example of this is modern video games. Nowadays, I feel stupid just playing COD4, I can't imagine sitting through a round of Gears of War. Compare Oblivion to Planetscape: Torment.
                      Last edited by Uranium - 235; 09-23-2008, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
                        First off I realize now I don't know everything, and wow, they are going through the same crap I went through SO others do understand. I'm not too much older then them and I've figured this out, so there is hope.

~ Draken
                        In semi-defense to the youth (I have no clue how old Draken is), I've heard some adults tell me that same thing (much older adults). There is just one problem, they haven't had to deal with what I've dealt with. I won't elaborate on it out of pure embarrassment.

Originally posted by Tau Neutrino
                        A very broad generalization based on my own upbringing and observation of today's kids:

- no motivation, too apathetic
                        - they don't read books
                        - ignorant (e.g. can't tell the difference between Taiwan and Thailand, nucleus and neutron), no drive to learn
                        - horrible grammar and spelling
                        - can't do simple arithmetic without a calculator
                        - mistrust of well-educated people and experts in their field(s) of proficiency
                        Don't read books?! I love books! Hell I was a bookworm with no friends my entire grade school years and for a small portion of my high school years.

I can drive just fine. Although I do agree with your statement on some level. I can't stand the female drivers on campus. Too much cell phone and very little "pay attention to road".

Experts? With what the media quotes as experts? Hell, I don't even trust half of what comes out of the talking heads. Think about all those professional programmers out there. Goodness, way to skim by life.

(I love playing devil's advocate. :row__577:)

Cough.

I'm still waiting to see if any of the "old geezers" of TG will respond to this thread. :madsmile:
                        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                        Former 9th & 13th

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                          I can drive just fine. Although I do agree with your statement on some level. I can't stand the female drivers on campus. Too much cell phone and very little "pay attention to road".
                          :row__639: Uhmm..... I think you misread something.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
                            :row__639: Uhmm..... I think you misread something.
                            Whoopsies indeed. I apologize, I've been up way to long typing a paper due early tomorrow and need to get my 4 hours of rest before waking up to a very long 14 hour school day.

In corrective response. I think I have drive to learn. If I don't, why do I bother looking at all the cool information on the internet.

(off topic) It's dead quite in the house and this keyboard sounds like machine gun chatter as I type. God I need a quieter keyboard. (end of off topic)
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            Former 9th & 13th

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
                              Whoopsies indeed. I apologize, I've been up way to long typing a paper due early tomorrow and need to get my 4 hours of rest before waking up to a very long 14 hour school day.
                              I figured it was either that, or you were going senile :D

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X