No announcement yet.

How much does it cost to live in NY??..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does it cost to live in NY??..

My girlfriend (soon wife) is going on a studytour to New York in march for two weeks.
    She is going to visit some of the big auditing companies.
    Because of the rate of exchange it would be smart to get som US currency now.
    The big question: How much does it cost to live in New York??
    The trip and the hotel is already paid for. All she need is pocket money for food, souvenirs, etc. (and probably shoes and bags too :icon_eek: :icon_eek: )
    How much should she expect to spend on breakfast, lunch and dinner?

I hope some of you US citizens can help us out.

She has a few days unscheduled. What is a absolute must too see when you visit NY?

Re: How much does it cost to live in NY??..

Originally posted by Gryphon
    How much should she expect to spend on breakfast, lunch and dinner?
    Lunch or Dinner at McDonald's or Burger King (fast food) costs between 5 and 10 dollars for a meal. Dinner at a cheap sit-down restaurant will be between 15 and 25 dollars.

If I were budgeting for meals in NYC, I'd budget $10 for breakfast (bagel, coffee and a pack of smokes), $10 for lunch and $20 for dinner. That should be enough that you could scrimp one day and endulge the next day if desired...

Of course, I've only been to New York once, and that was just driving through to get to the N42 Summer Bash, so you should probably double check with someone that's been to NYC more than I...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by Gryphon
      What is a absolute must too see when you visit NY?
      As someone who comes from only a medium sized city, just being in the crazy bustling atmosphere had the biggest impact on me. Appart from that the obvious ground zero, Times Square, Empire state/ other skyscraper and maybe statue of liberty.
      Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

I used to live in Manhattan but that seems like forever ago and I'm sure it's changed a lot. Fodor's is probably a good resource.

NYC is a lot like the internet - when you first get there it can be overwhelming because there is so much to do and see and not a lot of guidance. If I were showing a brand spanking new person the city I'd probably start with the Central Park area and work around from that. The Upper West Side has Lincoln Center, the Upper East Side has the Met. Midtown (the area in the middle on Manhattan just south of the park) has the Museum of Modern Art, and 5th Ave. in that area has lots of fun shops.

One place most people don't know about but which I suggest to every traveller is the Steuben gallery on Madison Ave. I'm sure their address is on the internet. They make amazing stuff and it's really worth seeing.

Greenwich Village is best seen at night. Make plans to grab a beer or dinner down there and stroll around to see the sights (freaks). Sat. am is a good time to check out the area around 7th and 6th ave. Lots of small shops and sidewalk salesmen and good to get the NYC vibe.

NYC is a crazy expensive place to live - a decent apartment will be several thousand $ a month, but it's also a thrill and easy to entertain oneself for practically nothing. One summer Sunday Morning I got a bagel and coffee and took my paper up to Central Park where I just happened to bump into the NY Philharmonic performing Peter & The Wolf with Dustin Hoffman and James Earl Jones reading. Not a bad.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
        X