Hate buses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hate buses?

This debate has kind of developed from another thread so I thought it would be better to continue here.

Originally posted by DudeMan
    are you kidding... i am sick of all the damn bike lanes they are putting up, and the stupid bus lanes. i mean honestly a 24 hour buss lane and a lane a whole lane catering for cycles even though you dont pay the tax on it.

motorists pay for your cycle lanes and we are not allowed to use them its rubbish...
    You could say the same for pavements. Road tax pays for them so why shouldn't you get to use them?

We all suffer because of cars. Cars and their roads pollute our cities, waste space, look ugly and kill thousands every year in accidents.

Alternative forms of transport help motorists. Imagine if all the people on all the buses and bikes were in a car each? Not only would the bus lane be full but so would the "car lanes."

In Manchester where I am a student, we have one of the biggest student populations in Europe, mostly living and studying along a four mile road extending from the city centre. It is also the busiest bus route in Europe and at any time of day or night you can see three buses going either way.

In many Euopean cities we also have electric trams which have all the benefits of buses except for a slight trade off in cost to reduce noise and pollution.

In London there is a 5 ($10) per day congestion charge to drive in the city centre. Many people really hated the idea at first but the scheme has proved a success.

What are American attitudes to transport? Is everyone happy with SUVs, or would you prefer better public transport? Is there so much space over there that congestion isn't an issue?
    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Re: Hate buses?

Originally posted by Wintermute
    What are American attitudes to transport? Is everyone happy with SUVs, or would you prefer better public transport? Is there so much space over there that congestion isn't an issue?
    In some big cities, public transportation is accepted, but most of our cities are so sprawling that subways/elevated trains, busses and other forms of public transportation aren't nearly as economical or practical.

Plus, I think Americans like driving their own car.

I live about 115 km/70 miles from my work and I drive that every weekday. My commute is a bit longer than most, but there are a handful of people in my office that have similar drives to work... Is it common in the UK for people to commute over a hundred kilometers one way to work?

In most big cities, the incentive for carpooling is High Occupancy Vehicle lanes. If you don't have two or more people in your car, you can't drive in the HOV lane.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
    X