Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The United Nations.

Is it good for anything anymore?

While I've never particularly been a huge fan of the UN, recent events have started to convince me that those "US out of UN, UN out of US" kooks might be on to something.

Look at the oil for food and sex for food scandals. Look at their ineffectiveness in the middle east (which, granted, could be a direct result of the UN corruption, but does that matter?). Look at their lack of presence in the wake of the tsunami. Their organizational skills in situations that they're supposed to excel are repeatedly demonstrated as being mediocre at best.

Can somebody please tell me what they're good for?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: The United Nations.

no, the un is filled with corrupted suckers not worthy of america's time :icon12: :icon19:

actually they're good for one thing: making america look like the "bad guy" in this whole mess.

Comment

Yeah I'm not a UN fan. Certainly not these days.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo
        Yeah I'm not a UN fan. Certainly not these days.
        Well, right. I've "not been a fan" for a while. Just the other day, though, I decided that enough was enough. It was after I heard how much money the US gives to the UN in membership fees.

At any rate, I'll ask again: What good is the UN? Have they done anything good for the world lately?
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality
          Well, right. I've "not been a fan" for a while. Just the other day, though, I decided that enough was enough. It was after I heard how much money the US gives to the UN in membership fees.

At any rate, I'll ask again: What good is the UN? Have they done anything good for the world lately?
          Well sorry I should have been more clear. I agree: we should basically disband this failed institution. Pres. Bush sent a shot across the bow in the last several weeks when the UN was marginalized in the tsunami relief effort. We can cut off their air supply at any time. He was also, in my opinion, wise to turn control back over to the UN after making his point. The political winds may be shifting against Mr. Annan in particular and the UN in general, but we have more work to do before the time will be right for getting rid of each. The oil-for-food reports will be coming out over time and that should help matters.

Any discussion about what good the UN does reminds me of the testimony about what a nice boy Scott Peterson used to be - he sang for old people. Other than stealing tens of billions of dollars from poor people to help a lunatic dictator stay in power, turning a blind eye to the Sudan and Rwanda, putting rogue governments like the Sudan on the Human Rights committee (check out this who's who list), etc., etc., and being totally ineffective in preserving the peace, it's charter, the UN is a great and worthy organization.

Comment

Ah, well, since nobody else can think of anything good that the UN has done, I'll share with you their latest:

Press Briefing on ‘three amigos’ hiv/aids prevention programme:
            One of the world’s largest safe-sex initiatives was officially launched at United Nations Headquarters in New York today with the release of a series of 20 funny, animated public service announcements aimed chiefly at 15- to 24-year-olds worldwide to entrench the use of condoms to stop the spread of HIV/AIDS.

At a press briefing sponsored by the Government of Canada, producer/director Fridaus Kharas showed six of the shorts included on the DVD “The Three Amigos”, which features three animated talking condom characters -– “Shaft”, “Stretch” and “Dick” -- who use light-hearted comedy to deliver a serious message. The shorts are currently running in South Africa, the Netherlands and Canada, and were conceived to destigmatize condom use and encourage responsible sexual behaviour.

Remember, no condom, no blastoff!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I don't understand why the dark colored conom is taller than the others. Surely the PC police approve of this message as it's very multi-cultural and inclusive, but what the heck is the one in the middle? Canadian? :icon_razz
              New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid
                I don't understand why the dark colored conom is taller than the others. Surely the PC police approve of this message as it's very multi-cultural and inclusive, but what the heck is the one in the middle? Canadian? :icon_razz
                This is funny, but I'm shocked by the lack of response from anyone that supports the United Nations. I guess more people are starting to feel the way I do than I thought...
                Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I want to like the UN, really I do, but without any actual authority, it's a meaningless effort. I believe that a multinational body is a good thing, but its current incarnation sucks.
                  [volun2]
                  NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
                  Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
                  <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
                  <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Multilateralism is vital IMHO. All of our wealth comes from international trade, and I can't see nationalism and unilateralism working if we ever want to improve life for those excluded from that wealth.

I think the UN is a great idea in principle, but it is flawed in practise.

1) The US is the only superpower and therefore the UN can not function without its full support. Since this has never been given the UN has never had much of a chance.

2) The UN is incredably beuracratic, corrupt and ineffective. The question is, is this inevitable for any such organisation, or could someone else do this job properly? The EU is the only other multinational political body I can think of. It is equally beaurocratic, but it is reforming and has proved very successful in many respects.

To its credit, the UN has worked sometimes. It's aid programs have saved and improved millions of lives in Africa and has responded to disasters such as earthquakes. I can't remember, but wasn't the Kosovo war fought with the support of a UN resolution? Kofi Anan has tried to stand up to the injustices he has seen but I think he bit off more than he could chew.
                    Wintermute

Play EVE online. It's like being an accounting addict in space.

Comment

I read somwhere that within 2 hours of the Tsunami hitting, the UN was scambling around, trying to figure out what to do. Almost immediatly after it hit, the US had already wired $500,000US dollars to start in the search and rescure efforts.

It seems that the UN has become a large, useless, corrupt, money sucking body with no authority. They only time they spring to action, is after the problem occors.

For example, here's the UN headline for the day: http://www.financegates.com/news/wor..._19012005.html
                      birdie_in_Texas:ok..i feel stupid here..what is "NS"..? Wyzcrak:Natural Selection. Don't feel at a loss for not knowing the acronym. Feel at a loss for not having experienced the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Wintermute
                        2) The UN is incredably beuracratic, corrupt and ineffective. The question is, is this inevitable for any such organisation, or could someone else do this job properly? The EU is the only other multinational political body I can think of. It is equally beaurocratic, but it is reforming and has proved very successful in many respects.
                        How has the EU done in regards to issues like corruption? Or more appropriately, what checks and balances do they have to keep corruption from becoming an issue?

I think learning more about how the EU is structured might provide some insight into how to restructure, or re-create, a modern version of the UN.
                        Diplomacy is the art of saying "good doggie" while looking for a bigger stick.

Comment

hey watch the canadian remarks! i'm not canadian but i live here and my g/f is canadian, their good people! :P

oh and UN sucks :(

- -

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid

Hahaha, ok that was funny....
                            Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
                            Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                            X