X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquid Assets

From an email:

LIQUID ASSETS

If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Delta Airlines one year ago, you will have $49.00 today. If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in AIG one year ago, you will have $33.00 today. If you had purchased $1,000 of shares in Lehman Brothers one year ago, you will have $0.00 today. But, if you had purchased $1,000 worth of beer one year ago, drank all the beer, then turned in the aluminum cans for recycling refund, you will have received $214.00. Based on the above, the best current investment plan is to drink a lot of beer & recycle. It is called the 401-Keg.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Liquid Assets

Um... Interesting...

A little weird, but interesting enough...

Oh who am I kidding this is funny !

~ Draken

Comment

Very funny and sad at the same time.

In the pursuit of... something.

Comment

The stores around here charge a deposit fee when you buy the beer. So, $1000 worth of beer would cost $1214 or whatever it is up front. :(

Comment

Well lets see... Michigan has a 10 cent deposit for bottles and cans...

Good beer is about $8 a six pack of bottles, plus 60 cents deposit so $8.60

$1000 / $8.60 = 116.278 or about 116 six packs, or 696 bottles of good beers... So at 10 cents deposit that would be $69.90 for the good beer bottle return plus the remainder of money from time of purchase $1000 - (116 * $8.60) = $2.40 or a total 401 Keg of $72.30

Now soda... Lets say you got it on sale... so 3 twelve packs of cans for $11.00 plus deposit... that would be $11 + (12 * 3 *$0.10) = $14.60 for 36 cans

$1000 / $14.60 = 68.49 or about (68 * 36) = 2448 cans of soda with $7.20 left over.

So remainder plus deposit return would be $7.20 + (2448 * $0.10) = $252.00.

In this case soda (on sale), would give you a better return of your $1000 compared to good beer. Still $72.30 - $252.00 as a range is still better then most... My Grandma had $100,000 in FannieMae last year, she now has $13,000

~ Draken

Comment

Recycling deposits are considered to be a cost of buying beer (or soda) by most people. If someone asks how much a six pack costs, you don't say, "$8.09 and $.15 CRV per bottle", you say it costs $8.99.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
              Recycling deposits are considered to be a cost of buying beer (or soda) by most people. If someone asks how much a six pack costs, you don't say, "$8.09 and $.15 CRV per bottle", you say it costs $8.99.
              Not quite. I've been in multiple states where the sticker price on the shelf does not include the cost of the deposit. Think of it like sales tax...the store charges you separately from what the government takes from you.
              ---
              Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

Yeah in Michigan it is $X.XX plus deposit. Meaning we pay extra on top of the cost of the item. The trick is that you get that all back if you return your bottle or can for recycle. Like Switchcraft said it is almost like an extra tax. On the flip side you almost never sees cans littering the streets, because they are worth ten cents each if returned.

I know tens cents doesn't sound like a lot, but it all adds up over time. I have a plastic tub in my trunk that I use to collect empties from school or work, I usually get five or six bucks back each time I turn them all in. I once did a part time job as a janitor, there I would collect empties from the trash and I could pick up an extra fifteen to twenty bucks a week. Just by taking a few seconds here and there collecting cans and bottles to recycle.

~ Draken

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
                  Not quite. I've been in multiple states where the sticker price on the shelf does not include the cost of the deposit. Think of it like sales tax...the store charges you separately from what the government takes from you.
                  Right, but I'm not talking about the sticker price. I'm talking about what you and I would say the price of a six pack is. We both know that it costs us $9, not $8 plus sales tax and redemption value.

Don't tell me it's been that long since you've made a beer run...
                  Become a supporting member!
                  Buy a Tactical Duck!
                  Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                  TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

If someone asked me the price I would say "A six pack of Bell's Oberon is eight dollars plus deposit." That is the common way to phrase it. It may be different in your state, but in Michigan if you ask the price odds are they will tell you the sticker price "plus deposit"

We Michiganders are just weird like that. :madsmile:

~ Draken

Comment

So, in Michigan, do you say your wages are X dollars "minus withholding"? Although I guess we talk about "take-home pay" versus what we get taxed on.
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

What is that money used for?

We don't have such things down here in Fla. I always see the deposits on the bottles/cans and always wondered.

Comment

So could I make money by buying cans/bottles in another state, then running them to Michigan, thus evading the initial tax?
                          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                            So could I make money by buying cans/bottles in another state, then running them to Michigan, thus evading the initial tax?
                            Sounds like the bottle deposit scam from Sienfeld! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bot...osit_(Seinfeld)

Comment

In PA there is no deposit, you simply take them to the recycling depot and sell them the aluminum by the pound.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X