Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, how old were YOU when you started doing your own laundry?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, how old were YOU when you started doing your own laundry?

I'm sure most of us have had the laugh at the stories of kids showing up at college their first year and being totally lost as to how to do laundry. I had a good laugh myself when I was in the dorm laundry one day years ago and overheard someone say, "Man, how do you do this? I'm totally lost," before they wandered back out. Myself, I've been doing my own laundry since junior high, as if I didn't do it then it didn't get done. :P

I ask this because I'm actually sitting in the laundry mat right now and these two dudes walked in with an interesting conversation:

"How many machines do I need? Guess we're gonna have to do some math."
    "How much do I put in here?" "I dunno, I just packed it down if I didn't have much left."

There were various other funny tidbits as well, especially the ever-present, "I'm in way over my head," expression on one dude's face. Thing is, if they're doing laundry here instead of in the dorms, that means they're at least sophomores, so we're talking about 20 years old here. :P
    [squadl]
    "I am the prettiest african-american, vietnamese..cong..person." -SugarNCamo

Re: So, how old were YOU when you started doing your own laundry?

I recently learned how. I actually started folding laundry when I was young.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I was a reagan era post-integration latchkey-kid product of public bussing, so I learned how to do laundry in elementary school... along with making eggs, toast, pasta, etc.

Comment

yeah i was doing my own and family laundry when i was in junior high. like tarpan said if i dint do my own it dint get done. i was cooking family dinners at that same age as well. since my parents own their own business they where at that place alot.

I had a roommate in college who always had a nanny do his laundry so his first load he screwed it up. All his nice dress shirts and dress socks all in one load.....well needless to say the socks bled into the shirts....he was so lost as to how that could happen.
        that sounds like a good idea trooper.
        -Vulcan

Comment

i learned how to do my own laundry when i was 14-15. I can still cook small minor things too. Some people are just stupid though.

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

Around when I entered middle school I think. I do love to fold laundry though. :)

Comment

My parents started training me to do laundry when I was three. No, I'm not kidding. They were training me for everything. I got paid an "allowance" of 3 pennies a day (big money when you're three years old and collecting pennies in a big glass jug) to watch my parents do day-to-day chores like doing dishes, housework and laundry whilst behaving myself. During this time they explained the mysteries of cold vs hot water washes, the difference between delicates and regulars, what kind and how much detergent to use, how to remove various stains, etc. As I got older, my allowance grew, but so did the responsibility. Started off with shuffling my laundry into the laundry room and separating the loads appropriately. Then it was washing and drying the laundry by myself. Then it was folding it and putting it away right. That progression took place by the time I was 6.

So yeah, I've been doing my own laundry since I was 6. One of the many survival benefits imparted to me by my military parents.

A piece of advice for all you young lads in high school: learn how to do your laundry before you go to college. Helping the ladies with their laundry is a great icebreaker. Plus you get to see what kind of lingerie they wear beforehand, so you can get a pre-judgment on their naughty factor (if you help a girl out and all she has is granny panties, well, use your imagination.)

Comment

I hate laundry. I don't do it right, but I have never had a pink sock. I just throw everything in together, set it to cold, and turn it on. (yes - I add detergent)

I hate cooking too, I am making the most of that culinary education as an IT director.

I never really "learned" how to do laundry. I just never have enough of the same type of clothes to separate, so 1+1=1 (1 white + 1 color = 1 load.)
                Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein
                The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity. -Harlan Ellison

If all else fails: "rm -rf /"

Comment

Probably in 4th grade. I know in 5th grade I got my first punch the clock type job (dishwasher and bus boy) and I knew how to wash my cloths by then.
                  Last edited by El_Gringo_Grande; 10-02-2008, 09:53 PM.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Still dont do it!;)

No, i learned at University, no damned choice!!!

Comment

When I was 8 or 9.
                      Skud

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                        I hate laundry. I don't do it right, but I have never had a pink sock. I just throw everything in together, set it to cold, and turn it on. (yes - I add detergent)
                        Haha. Exactly what I do. I don't bother separating my clothes unless they're really nice shirts or pants or something. I remember when I was little I left a pen in my pocket the day after my mom got a new dryer and when it was over there was blue ink all over the drum and she was so pissed. XD

Comment

Originally posted by =DdogG= View Post
                          Well, I do my laundry correctly, and this is still what I do about 95% of the time. I've got a few things that have to be dry cleaned, a few things that require "special" laundry treatment, everything else gets washed on the cold/fast cycle and dried on the medium/fast cycle. My UnderArmour type shirts get hung to dry so that they don't melt in the dryer.
                          Become a supporting member!
                          Buy a Tactical Duck!
                          Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                          TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

For all you newbies out there.

Washing anything remotely delicate with a metal zipper unzipped is asking for little holes to show up. I have lost a couple of my favorite shirts this way.

So just zip up and snap/button the jeans closed before washing them with your shirts.
                            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

17 - freshman at University.

Now I treat all my laundry well - I hate fading or screwing up nice satin sheets. ;)

Somehow I still managed to turn some whites pink a few weeks ago.
                              sigpic

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X