Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is it. Palin has officially struck a nerve with me.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is it. Palin has officially struck a nerve with me.

I have never posted a thread here in the Sandbox before, but when I read this, I was honestly disgusted. I cannot believe someone would actually say something like this.

Story here on CNN

Originally posted by CNN
    "This is not a man who sees America as you and I do: as the greatest force for good in the world," Palin said at a fundraising event in Colorado, according to a statement released by the McCain-Palin campaign. "This is someone who sees American as imperfect enough to pal around with terrorists who targeted their own country."

Obama's Chicago, Illinois, home is in the same neighborhood as Bill Ayers, a founder of the radical Weather Underground, which was involved in several bombings in the early 1970s, including the Pentagon and the Capitol, and the two have met several times since Obama's 1995 campaign for a state Senate seat.

Palin cited an article in Saturday's New York Times about Obama's relationship with Ayers, now 63. But that article concluded that "the two men do not appear to have been close. Nor has Mr. Obama ever expressed sympathy for the radical views and actions of Mr. Ayers, whom he has called 'somebody who engaged in detestable acts 40 years ago, when I was 8.' "

I never had anything against Palin before, but saying that Obama was "pals" with terrorists, based only on an article that concluded the complete opposite?

I haven't made a thread before in the Sandbox, and I wasn't planning to, but this struck a real nerve.
    Waldo II

Re: This is it. Palin has officially struck a nerve with me.

*Grabs Hammer*

Here comes the last nail for the coffin.
    |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Waldo_II View Post
      I have never posted a thread here in the Sandbox before, but when I read this, I was honestly disgusted. I cannot believe someone would actually say something like this.

Story here on CNN

I never had anything against Palin before, but saying that Obama was "pals" with terrorists, based only on an article that concluded the complete opposite?

I haven't made a thread before in the Sandbox, and I wasn't planning to, but this struck a real nerve.
      We've discussed Bill Ayers in this forum several times, with multiple sources, including interviews and his memoirs. Whatever you think of Obama's friend and former colleague, there's no way that Palin based her speech on that single NYT article.
      ---
      Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

I usually don't say much, but it looks as though this is about the 4 or 5 horse's "rear" this info has been through. Who is worth believing anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Switchcraft View Post
          We've discussed Bill Ayers in this forum several times, with multiple sources, including interviews and his memoirs. Whatever you think of Obama's friend and former colleague, there's no way that Palin based her speech on that single NYT article.

Pretty much nailed it. Obamas friends are people I would cross the street just to avoid. Funny the MSM really does not cover much of it.

The joke I have heard recently was...

"what does Obama and Osama have in common? They both have friends that bombed the Pentagon."

Sad part is, it really is not funny because it is true.
          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

That is propaganda for the believers.

Comment

do you guys have any hard evidence to prove Obama deals with terrorists?
              If this was said about any other group of people its racism. Oddly, because it deals with muslims and arabs, its completely plausible.

But yet again, terror tactics previal, and some people actually believe this garbage. Somehow, what little respect i had for palin was lost today.

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
                Pretty much nailed it. Obamas friends are people I would cross the street just to avoid. Funny the MSM really does not cover much of it.

The joke I have heard recently was...

"what does Obama and Osama have in common? They both have friends that bombed the Pentagon."

Sad part is, it really is not funny because it is true.
                I love how informed, and unbiased you are.

This thread delivers.

Comment

Originally posted by RudeBoy View Post
                  There seems to be some ignorance of the facts here.

William Ayers was a member of an organization called the Weathermen, who, during the late 60s and early 70s, conducted a series of politically-motivated bombings at the Pentagon and other government locations. They also conducted a deadly armored car robbery in 1981.

Terrorists or just really interesting friends? Whatever.

So how close are he and Obama? Depends on who you ask. According to Obama, "This is a guy who lives in my neighborhood, who’s a professor of English in Chicago, who I know and who I have not received some official endorsement from. He’s not somebody who I exchange ideas from on a regular basis."

The facts are not as clear. At a White House event with Bill Clinton, philanthropist Walter Annenberg announced that he was making a $500 million grant to cities across the nation to put towards public school reform. Bill Ayers led the group that brought $49.2 million to Chicago and formed the Chicago Annenberg Challenge. The first chairman of the Chicago Annenberg Challenge was Barack Obama, a post he held until 1999 when he stepped down and remained on the board. Of course Bill Ayers was involved in selecting the chairman.

So for 4 years Barak Obama worked as Chairman of a not-for-profit entity that Bill Ayers created and they attended meetings, worked on proposals...you know, worked together. Maybe not every day, and maybe they weren't BFFs sharing email jokes and going to lunch all the time, but certainly the relationship was much more close than guys "who live in...the neighborhood."

So much more close in fact that Ayers hosted a meet-the-candidate/fundraiser for Obama at his house in 1995, during Obama's first (state) senate campaign. Obama attended, and apparently it was a small gathering, not some mega everyone-was-there deal. My best guess is that Obama was far more chummy with Ayers at that meeting that he would ever let on today.

So the guy who got Obama his first executive job, with whom Obama worked for 4 years, who went out of his way to host a fundraiser at his house that help launched Obama's political career is "a guy who lives in my neighborhood".

Really? Who believes this?

William Ayers was a terrorist by any practical definition and remains unapologetic. And Barak Obama is his friend and has been for at least 15 years.

“I don’t regret setting bombs. … I feel we didn’t do enough.” 9/11/2001 (Obama had known him for at least 6 years when Ayers said this.)

So...back to Palin.

You may disagree with the degree to which the McCain campaign is seeking to connect these two. You may disagree with the degree to which the Obama campaign is seeking to distance Obama from Ayers. But it's not an argument that's coming from left field, and it certainly is the sort of relationship that most people would agree should be explained to the American People before electing someone to high office. Palin is having to make this case because no-one in the press will. If the NYT or anyone else had dug into the Ayers relationship with the same enthusiasm they showed in their efforts to dig dirt on Palin, we'd know a lot more about this matter, wouldn't we? Close "pals" or "guys in the neighborhood"? It would be nice to know one way or the other.

Unfortunately the fix is in with regard to the MSM's treatment of Obama, so we will have to wait for the book.

Comment

Originally posted by marstein View Post
                    That is propaganda for the believers.
                    Originally posted by RudeBoy View Post
                    Do you guys even know what is being discussed in this thread? Your ignorance isn't helping you look very smart here. Bill Ayers was a terrorist back in the 70s. He founded a group called The Weathermen that bombed the Pentagon, among other things. He has admitted to this. His prosecution was screwed up by the government, so he walked on the charges.

Senator Obama has made statements that he is friends with this man, and that he doesn't think Ayers' past should be a major consideration regarding said friendship.

My only question is why the major media outlets haven't picked up this story. You can see Senator Obama's lame attempt to deflect the story HERE. Notice it doesn't deny anything other than that Bill Ayers "launched" Senator Obama's career? Why did the Rev. Wright story grow legs, but this one hasn't?

Do people truly think that Ayers is no longer worthy of contempt? That it's OK to become friends with someone that has that kind of past? That it's OK for the President of the United States of America to be friends with someone that has organized those kinds of attacks on our country?
                    Become a supporting member!
                    Buy a Tactical Duck!
                    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Karl Rove is alive and well.
                      The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
                      #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                      83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Originally posted by IRS_Agent View Post
                        Karl Rove is alive and well.
                        In fact, he his. But what is your comment supposed to mean?

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                          In fact, he his. But what is your comment supposed to mean?
                          I should have said Karl Rove-style campaigning.
                          The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving.

I
                          #83 of 213 things you cannot do in the army.
                          83. Must not start any SITREP (Situation Report) with "I recently had an experience I just had to write you about...."

Comment

Those who are feeling confused regarding the situation might do well to read the whole thing. Here's an excerpt:
                            Originally posted by NY Times
                            Federal riot and bombing conspiracy charges against him were dropped in 1974 because of illegal wiretaps and other prosecutorial misconduct, and he was welcomed back after years in hiding by his large and prominent family. His father, Thomas G. Ayers, had served as chief executive of Commonwealth Edison, the local power company.

Since earning a doctorate in education at Columbia in 1987, Mr. Ayers has been a professor of education at the University of Illinois at Chicago, the author or editor of 15 books, and an advocate of school reform.

“He’s done a lot of good in this city and nationally,” Mayor Richard M. Daley said in an interview this week, explaining that he has long consulted Mr. Ayers on school issues. Mr. Daley, whose father was Chicago’s mayor during the street violence accompanying the 1968 Democratic National Convention and the so-called Days of Rage the following year, said he saw the bombings of that time in the context of a polarized and turbulent era.

“This is 2008,” Mr. Daley said. “People make mistakes. You judge a person by his whole life.”
                            The article is at:
                            http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/04/us...q=ayers&st=cse

DaBrit

By Any Means
                            [/url]

Comment

Originally posted by IRS_Agent View Post
                              I should have said Karl Rove-style campaigning.
                              OK. What does that mean?

Originally posted by DaBrit View Post
                              Those who are feeling confused regarding the situation might do well to read the whole thing. Here's an excerpt:

The article is at:
                              http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/04/us...q=ayers&st=cse
                              If your point is that the charges were dropped because the evidence was shaky, therefore Mr. Ayers may not actually be guilty of the accusations, then his own words destroy that argument: he concludes his memior saying that he is "Guilty as hell, free as a bird – it’s (America) a great country."

If your point is that yeah well maybe he IS an unrepentant terrorist but he's done so many good things since that there is no shame in Barak Obama's having had a rather close professional and political relationship with Ayers back in the 90s, then I think Obama should take that position and defend it to the voters. What Obama has said is sneaky, evasive, and dishonest. "A guy who lives in my neighborhood?" Please.

If your point is something else, then please help me understand it better.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X