Good and evil

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good and evil

It struck me that much disagreement arises from slightly different views about the nature of good and evil. What's your definition of evil? How do you distinguish them?

Some people to test your theory on:
    • Hitler (of course!)
    • the Wicked Witch of the West (but read "Wicked" first)
    • the Presidents of the US
    • all Popes (taken individually)
    • your Senators
    • your banker, esp. the one who handles your mortgage
    • a bomber pilot whose bomb kills innocent civilians
    • the four people running for President and VP
    • a random selection of TG members
    • your parents
    • me
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Re: Good and evil

ScratchMonkey is 100% evil.

Hitler is mostly evil.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Neither for all of the above.

Comment

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=185

Comment

Dont normally consider anything evil or good, just existant.. Hitler though; yes he was pure evil.. his followers, not pure evil.. bad but not evil, they were more brainwashed into thinking the ways they did, Hitler basiclly just came up with it though.

I just take life as it is and try and give back what I can to those who I deem have good intentions for myself or others who know me or are related to me.
          "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
          'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Hitler was nothing compared to Voldemort...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
              ScratchMonkey is 100% evil.

Hitler is mostly evil.
              :icon_lol: The definitive answer!

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

In my opinion, good and evil are two words that are used far too often to describe things. While I do believe there to be true good and evil, most things are neither. They are relative.

While today, most of us can easily say that Hitler was evil, if Germany had won the second World War, Hitler would be the greatest man to ever live, not the personification of evil that he is known as now.

Take for example the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Tens of thousands died and many more were horribly scared, was this an evil act? On face value, the complete and total destruction of two cities, and the deaths of 100,000+ civilians could be seen as a very evil act.

However, when you consider that it may have saved the lives of millions more, including the live of many of our own fathers and grand fathers, can we still call it evil? history records it as a dark time in human existence, but not an evil act. Then again, as Hitlers legacy has shown, history is written by the victory.

So I ask you, not whom do you feel is evil, but what is true evil?

| |

My friends call me Y. My enemies call me... well, that's a secret.

"The only reason I team killed you is because I though you were already dead...
                ...Oh god, I just know that is going in someones signature" - Eroak

Comment

Originally posted by YdoUwant2know View Post
                  They are relative.
                  Moral relativism. I might see Hitler as evil because relative to me, who's never committed genocide, they seem evil. Even if I started chopping up everyone I knew and placing them into little plastic baggies with labels that might still seem "good" relative to what he did. A more proper question might be: Who (or what) is the ruler by which we judge, and where is the exact point, or fulcrum, that finally tips the scale? I think everyone's answer will be different.

Comment

I would use the terms "good" and "evil" to apply to actors, and "right" and "wrong" to apply to actions.

Was Hitler "evil" at birth? Is it genetic, and can we test for it and abort "evil" fetuses? Or is it environmental, and exactly when did Hitler get so evil and how?

Is one evil if one's motivations are good but one's actions are wrong? Is one evil if one's motivations are selfish but good results?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Splendid View Post
                      Even if I started chopping up everyone I knew and placing them into little plastic baggies with labels that might still seem "good" relative to what he did.
                      As an individualist, I consider the value of one life to be as great as many lives, so Hitler achieved maximum evil as soon as he killed his first victim, and hence you're not less evil for not killing as many people.

Comment

I don't get it.

Hitler was evil, but Alexander The Great was not evil? Was General Custer (genocide, war) evil? George Washington, General Sherman, Eisenhower? LBJ? Were the ancient Egyptians and Romans evil (genocide, slavery, war, lethal sport for fun)? King David (genocide, war, slavery)? Is the Old Testament evil (genocide, war, slavery)?

What makes Hitler stand out in this crowd? It seems to me that if Hitler is evil, then so is everyone else listed above. Native Americans suffered far worse fates at the hands of colonial settlers than did the Polish under Hitler. I'd have rather been a Dutch person enduring Nazi occupation than a Whatever-Ite when King David's murdering rapacious hordes swept across Palestine. Woe be to any southerners of military age caught by Sherman's army during the US Civil War.

Do you feel the same disgust for ancient Egyptian Pharaohs as Hitler?

Take a look at Steven Pinker's excellent "Myth of Violence" for some descriptions of violence across different historical periods, including some quick passages where genocide and sexual slavery are promoted in the Old Testament.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/s..._violence.html
                        A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

To me, good and evil don't exist. There are only your actions, their consequences, and their effect on others. Something positive for you, may be negative for another, and so on.

What amuses me are shows, movies, etc that tout "... to fight the forces of eeeeeevil!" which, while that's a valid plot line either way, it still does nothing to reinforce the idea that you cannot have one without the other (for starters) and that it's part of the Great Balance.

Uninhibited growth, ie: cancer, can lead to death. Uninhibited atrophy achieves the same result.

Which isn't to say I'm thus Morally Gray like some people I know :)
                          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey
                            As an individualist, I consider the value of one life to be as great as many lives, so Hitler achieved maximum evil as soon as he killed his first victim, and hence you're not less evil for not killing as many people.
                            Ha, well yeah if you look at it that way.
                            Originally posted by Capt Splendid
                            Who (or what) is the ruler by which we judge, and where is the exact point, or fulcrum, that finally tips the scale? I think everyone's answer will be different.

Comment

Maybe evil is part of each and all of us. It comes out in everyone more or less often. When whole countries are affected we call it war, genocide, ethnic cleansing, etc

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X