Search Engine of Fail

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Search Engine of Fail

Remember when there were a plethora of search engines around 1996, you could choose from yahoo, lyco's, alta vista, infoseek (i think this was one) and then slowly they disappeared......gobbled up by larger companies, or done away with their lack of being a good search engine in general.

And now in 2008 it seems that google is the one that really came out on top.

One would think that political campaigns would take the same approach as being a useful search engine no matter what the topic is.

Well, this my friend could be "possibly be the worst search engine i have eve seenr" - Curt Monash

Brace yourself, though I imagine within a few day's it will be fixed because....the election campaign has only been going for like what 2 years now?
    http://www.networkworld.com/communit...b&story=ts_pol

I am not trying to make a political statement, I go to this website routinely throughout the day, ever day, but this caught my eye among the other topics that were listed.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Search Engine of Fail

I remember when everyone else was using Yahoo and a few others, I used a "meta" search engine that would simultaneously submit my query to multiple engines and then aggregate the results. It was extremely effective.

I was a web link collector and stored everything on my web site, not in my bookmarks, so I still have a page full of search engines I used to use:

http://sewingwitch.com/ken/websearch.html
    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
      I remember when everyone else was using Yahoo and a few others, I used a "meta" search engine that would simultaneously submit my query to multiple engines and then aggregate the results. It was extremely effective.
      Oh, man, dogpile was the bee's knees before Google got here!
      Become a supporting member!
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Jeesh, webcrawler.com was the ultimate search engine, n00bs. Webcralwer.com was even better...
        ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

My favorite back then was metacrawler. Hey! Whaddya know?! It's still around!!! I didn't even realize that.

http://www.metacrawler.com/

It searches ALL major search engines at once.
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I've lost faith in google. They have, in my opinion, built a reputation for relevant results, and now that they have a near monopoly are censoring things at the behest of the people in charge. Search US presidential primary fraud and youll get plenty of results for 2004, or 2000 or any time which wouldn't matter today. But nothing will come up about how the guy who couldn't get more than 10% support 18 months ago wound up the republican nominee. Throw in little things like http://www.threadwatch.org/node/9612 and I don't trust them for anything important.

Comment

I like Google myself, before that was Yahoo. I loved Yahoo. But for some reason as time went on I just switched and now I just 'google' something when I need to.

~ Draken

Comment

On a related note: does it bother you that Google has enough storage to save the internet searches of everyone on the planet for decades? Did you know that it tracks and records the searches of every IP and address and saves that for years? I have found my own search record and websites I clicked using Google from 5 years ago, when I was still in college! It was creepy.

Check out Scroogle.org for safe, unsaved, unrecorded, untracked, parsed-bitcode Google searches that cannot be linked back to you. Can be added on your search engine list in the Firefox browser search plugin.
                sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed