Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The End of the World Arms Store [Forum Game]

Originally posted by AP Wire, March 28th, 2009

[plunging_line_graph.png] In a dramatic move this morning all major world banks froze consumer lines of credit in a last ditch effort to stave off a global financial collapse. Consumer withdraws and deposits have also been severely limited.

[newyork_rioting_5thAve.png] Panic in the general population has reached a fevered pitch. (link)

This latest news in the global credit crisis hit closer to home for the general population than any other previous action taken by the financial sector. Many local banks and credit unions have closed their doors in the face of runs and outbreaks of rioting.

January unemployment numbers were a record 16.2% and more bad news is expected out of Wall Street today after after the bankruptcy filings of J.P. Morgan Chase, Wells Fargo, and Bank of America earlier this week.

A new tape was released by Interim President Dick Cheney, he urged Americans to "stay calm and to carry on as you normally would."

In a statement today Vice President Mitt Romney noted that Federal Elections are still "on scheduled" for May 5th if the martial law in Arkansas, Vermont, Idaho, Missouri, Kansas, and Utah is lifted. "I'm optimistic that Federal law enforcement efforts to root out terrorist militia cells will be complete by that time." It's estimated that over 12,000 arrests and detentions have been made by federal officials in conjunction with local law enforcement agencies.

Cellular networks and the GPS systems continue to be restricted to authorized emergency use only. All commercial and civilian aviation continue to be suspended due to fears of more militia air assaults on military targets.

The Canadian border continues to be closed due to the influx of refugees heading south into the United States. Federal officials have warned that all Canadians crossing the border fleeing the conflicts in Alberta and Quebec will be arrested and deported presumably to the internment camps on PEI.

Food riots are now an everyday occurrence in Canada. Food supplies are especially short after the brutal winter and due the continued US blockade of all Canadian ports.

Reports of heavy skirmishes along the Mexican border between the Mexican Army and the Minute Man Federal Auxiliary Battalion in California are unconfirmed. President Perry of the Confederated States of New Texas reported that all borders between the New Texas Confederated States (formerly New Mexico, Arizona and Texas) and Mexico are secure and quiet. "Our relations with Mexico couldn't be better," President Perry said earlier this morning in a news conference. When asked about relations north of the Red River President Perry replied, "We look forward to continued talks with Interim President Cheney. However, the martial law situation in some of our former sister states is an affront to state sovereignty and no efforts between the US and CSNT governments will bear fruit until martial law is repealed and constitutional law is back in place."

The purpose of this thread is to list out the essential weapons and supplies you will have for the impending collapse of civilization. These supplies are for yourself (we'll pretend you don't have dependents).

You have $20,000 cash (it's all you were able to withdraw) and five 1oz gold nuggets from your safe deposit box. The last time you checked gold was $2,000 an ounce; credit cards and hand-shakes are worthless now. It's just you your money and your wits.

Prices for your supplies are present day prices +50% due to the general panic. You have no supplies or weapons aside from one weeks groceries, some camping equipment, things you would expect to find in your house and a kitchen knife set (you don't have any guns or blades--yet).

What will you do with your money?

By your best estimate it's going to be just a few weeks before it all goes to pot...

Basic Camping Supply List that you have:

3 man all season tent with fly and ground cover and accessories
    0 F Mummy Bag with 5R ground pad
    Toiletries Bag
    Day Pack with camel-back
    Water filtration bottle with spare filter
    Hatchet, Steel Shovel, Flint and fire starter
    Utility knife
    Basic Travel First Aid Kit
    50y of nylon rope
    All packed inside a large plastic tub
    Last edited by Rincewind; 10-10-2008, 09:18 PM.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: The End of the World Arms Store [Forum Game]

This really wouldnt be too hard for me. Based on the date indicated, I'll already be in colorado and living in a house less than 50 miles from my survival/retirement property. I'm also functioning on the assumption that anything we are currently in posession of (i.e. my car, my clothes, my furniture) would still be in the picture.

Non-Disposable Supply List:
    One handgun, 40 caliber. $750
    One cleaning kit. $30
    One 30.06 Rifle $900
    Ten cans lubricating oil. $100
    10 Crates 30.06 ammo. $1500
    10 Crates 40 caliber ammo. $1200
    One Recurve Bow $450
    20 Bow Strings $60
    500 Steel Arrows $50
    500 Wooden Arrows $50
    One Fletching Jig $50
    1000' Full braid polypropylene rope $750
    1000' Standard rigging twine $50
    One Double-Blade Axe, wooden stock $100
    One Single-Blade Axe, wooden stock $70
    Six Axe Heads, Single Blade $180
    One Line Saw $45
    One Bow Saw $75
    One Collapsable Steel Shovel $50
    Two Ice Axes $160
    One Pair Crampons $180
    24 Quickdraws
    One Spare Sleeping Bag, rated to -30F $300
    100 Gallons [email protected]/gal $600
    One Blade File $30
    One Metric Socket Set $75
    One Standard Socket Set $75
    One Multi-purpose screwdriver set (the kind with the swappable tips) $30
    Five Boxes M-80 Fireworks (the real ones that are in fact, partial sticks of dynamite) $100
    Ten Pounds Black Powder $400
    Seeds Packs for food-bearing plants. $100
    3 boxes 30mil Trash Bags (the big heavy duty black ones you get from home depot) $80
    Total: $8690
    Remainder: $11310 Cash, $10,000 Gold.

Extra Supplies:
    100 Cases MREs: 12 Meals Per Case - Enough Food for One Meal/Day for 3 Years or 3 Meals/Day For one Year. $11250
    10 Stitch Needles, 500' Sterile Wound Thread $20
    50 Boxes Sterile Gauze Wrapping $150
    20 Tubes Neosporin $100
    20 Tubes Triple Antibiotic Ointment $100
    Bribe For Meds: $5000
    200 Doses Penicillin G $400
    200 Doses Penicillin V $400
    500 Levaquin Tablets $600
    200 Doses Tamiflu $400
    500 Packets QuikClot $1500
    10 Bottles NewSkin $125
    Total: $20045
    Remainder: $1265

Now, I have a question here: Rince, what "camping supplies" are you talking about? I consider basic supplies to be a backpack, bed roll (bag+pad+tarp), flint/steel, compass, small knife (leatherman), hatchet, toiletries. I keep all of those things in my camping pack at all times, have since I was 12. What you "give" us will have me amend my list. Also, I have a LOT of medical supplies that the hospital has generously donated to me (with and without consent) in my closet. Does that count or will I have to re-buy all of it? (SOLVED. Thanks Rince.) But I will be exploiting my medical connections to bribe people to write me prescriptions for antibiotics during this time.

The Plan:
    Step 1: The breakdown. Time: 2 days.
    I begin by dismantling everything of use in my house. I disconnect the electricity, water and cable systems. I dismantle all of my appliances. I dismantle all furniture.
    From this, I am able to gain large amounts of wire from electrical conduit, cable lines, power cords and other sources. Metal tubing from the refrigerator, oven, air conditioner, water heater and furnace. PVC tubing from the water systems. I am able to harvest the metal springs from inside the mattress. I am able to gain cotton wadding from the couch cushions and mattress. I am able to gain fabric materials from my couch, chairs, drapes, mattress, and box spring. I am able to harvest wood from most standing furniture and box spring. You get the picture of what I'm doing by this point. I'm breaking down all of my modern appliances and comforts in preparation for an EOTW scenario, gathering anything of use that I can take from them. Once this process is done, I load my car with 10 gallons of gasoline (assuming it was empty to begin with), allowing me 300 miles travel. My survival land is approximately 48.6 miles from my current location. I make several trips back and forth between the house and my land transporting the things I've collected and bought for survival.

Step 2: Basecamp. Time: 1 week.
    I have 100 acres of land. On this land, I have downhill flowing water, Trees of several varieties, wildlife, two large meadows for planting crops, fruit bearing wild plants, a mountain face with one marginally accessible road to a large cave (open-ended on entrance, south facing, one hole in the roof that actually arcs to the west side of the rock face into open air [will be important later]). The cave is also accessible by a foot trail leading the opposite direction of the road. Once I have unpacked everything I need at the cave site, I separate the materials into trash bags and seal them for future use. This is crucial in the cases of the degradable materials, like fabric, cotton and any food stores so they do not rot.

I pull the car into the back of the cave and drain the gasoline into a usable container and store with the rest of the gasoline. The car is facing parallel to the entrance (i.e. the drivers side windows are facing the entrance, the passenger side windows are facing the rear wall of the cave, with approximately 10 feet between the passenger side of the car and the cave wall, 40 feet to the entrance of the cave from the drivers side. I roll down the passenger side windows, fold down the back seats so they make a flat sleeping surface. I point the central rear view mirror to the mouth of the cave where it can be seen from a laying position in the back seat. The passenger side mirror is angled to the floor of the back of the cave (will be significant later). The headrests are removed and material cut from them to create a sling for my handgun near my sleeping position. I create a fire pit between the passenger side of the car and the rear cave wall. This will provide me with warmth, and a direct light source through the clever use of the mirror being pointed right at the fire and reflecting inside the car.

I then spend the next two days preparing an entry barrier, using full camoflage for the mouth of the cave. This will serve two purposes: conceal my actually being there and shield the cave entrance from the elements. I use a small length of twine and several trash bags to line the back side, providing a small degree of waterproofing.

The final preparation of basecamp involves using three boxes of M-80s, used strategically, to create a rockslide over the road to the cave, making it impassable for vehicles.

Step 3: Survival. Time: Indefinite.
    Hunt, fish, eventually fell trees and collect sap (mixed with small amounts of gasoline and stone grindings to make a waterproof binder) to build a cabin. Plant crops at the end of winter, harvest in early fall. Dry and cure skins/furs for use as blankets. Etc., etc., etc.
    Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 10-10-2008, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Being edited...
      Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Jesus, Ferris. Did you just rattle that off in ten minutes or have you played before? ;)

Also, if you plan to buy medical supplies, let us know what they are. Feel free to guesstimate how much you've spent; it doesn't have to be exact.
        Last edited by Rincewind; 10-10-2008, 05:40 PM.
        No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

I'm just that good at planning for the worst. Plus, people have presented me with EOTW scenarios before. If the collapse of reasonable civilization comes, my method for survival is to separate myself from the masses and wait it out. When the world rebuilds itself, I'll come back.

Comment

I'll just bring what i can to your hideout, Ferris (chess, card, and other things to keep us busy) as well as precious commodities. I'm good at locating stuff and extracting precious metals out of computer part. That can be used to barter. Just send a PM with a location and safe word :D.

In our free time i'll teach you several types of martial arts to help defend ourselves.
            |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Are we not allowed to pack up our things and move to, like, Canada or Norway? Switzerland, perhaps? Surely there's a country that hasn't reduced itself to tearing the copper and PVC from its walls. (Which reminds me: I'll need the GPS coordinates to your land, Ferris. You sound like you have your game together and I would happily cut down as many trees as necessary and earn my keep to stay in the cave. I'll bring my $20,000 and gold, and I also have a 24' enclosed race trailer we could use to haul things in fewer trips.) :D

Comment

Heh, The point of breaking down the stuff in the house has a larger purpose. The fabric alone has about a thousand uses. Everything from binding to bandages. The PVC pipe and some kind of small basin can be fitted to make a rudimentary toilet. The metal tubing from the appliances can be used to make a water purifier with some fire and charcoal. The wire can be used for many of the same things as the fabric, and can also be used for hunting (snares, traps, etc). Take the motor and a fan blade from any standard fan and you can make enough electricity using wind power to power a flashlight or small electric lantern. The wooden and metal beams from inside furniture can be used for supports, shelving and racks for storing supplies. The metal springs from a mattress can be straightened, trimmed and sharpened for use with traps, or for making arrowheads. I wont even get started on what you can use from car parts. Everything has survival properties if used right.

Also, if this were real life we're talking about and we were using what resources we ACTUALLY have, I'd have no gold, far less money to spend, but about 3/4 of the stuff on my list is already in my possession.
                Last edited by Ferris Bueller; 10-10-2008, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Man, now I know what JMJ's neighbor was doing; he wasnt trashing his foreclosed home, he was preparing for the end of the world!

I'm going to edit the news wire to answer some questions and construct the situation a bit.

Comment

Okay, I've fleshed out the backstory a bit.

I hope to see some more participation! :D

Comment

id buy a 20k shotgun and kill ferris and take his stuff.....
                      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
                        id buy a 20k shotgun and kill ferris and take his stuff.....
                        In the battle between you and Ferris: you need to describe what you'd do. Not just state that you'd do it.

Comment

He'd have to make it through my legion of mantraps first. Think I'd be unprotected? Not to mention, your one shotgun is good at maybe 50 feet. My 30.06 is good at a couple hundred yards.

Comment

Ferris, why a 30.06 ?

I would figure a 7.62x51mm (.308) would be more practical as there would be a greater supply of surplus NATO ammunition.

Of course, I would not give up my current M1 Garand :)

Comment

Originally posted by beaker424 View Post
                              Ferris, why a 30.06 ?

I would figure a 7.62x51mm (.308) would be more practical as there would be a greater supply of surplus NATO ammunition.

Of course, I would not give up my current M1 Garand :)
                              Accuracy and dropping power. It is for shooting large game at a distance and taking them down.
                              Im not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X