Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does your brain visualize the calendar?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does your brain visualize the calendar?

I'm always curious as to how other people view days, months, and years in their head, since I don't see a calendar in my head as it is on paper.

For days of the week, I see the week more or less as a pie. Sunday is a slice about at 3:00, Wednesday is about at 7:00, and Friday is about at 11-12:00, to give you an idea. That's how I've always seen days of the week and my life. If I plan something for a Friday on Tuesday, I place it in my head at about the 11 o'clock region of my pie chart, because that's where Friday is.

If I imagine the months, they are in two rows of six, with January through June placed directly on top of July through December. Each month is a box. If in my head I plan something in December while it's October, it goes in the lower right hand box. My girlfriend says she sees months as you would in a tear-away monthly calendar.

For the years, right now 2008 has a different look than the rest of the years. It runs in a line kind of from left to right. If I want to think back to 1999, I have to look to the left. 2025 for example is to the right and kind of back a little and also pretty fuzzy. Before my birth year of 1987 (or maybe even the mid 90's when I actually developed reason) it has a number but no real value other than what Social Studies and the history books have taught me. Earlier than maybe 1880 the years just become chunks of ten years, then they become full chunks of centuries, i.e.- the way the 14th century looks to me. The year 2008 is a clear number. If I think about a year, I look either left or right and kind of highlight that year in my brain for the time being. Then I can look closer into that year and see the two rows of six for the months, etc.

How else do things like this show up in your head?

Re: How does your brain visualize the calendar?

I put days-of-the-week and months-of-the-year in a sort of horseshoe shape. It's similar to a clock with the area around 6:00 missing so it doesn't connect at the bottom. Sunday is around 7:30, with Wednesday at the top at 12:00, and Saturday at the bottom right around 4:30.

The months bend more completely, so there's a much smaller gap at the bottom than with the weeks. And if I'm specifically focusing on winter months, December and January will touch making the circle complete, but they aren't firmly attached. When I focus on the summer part of the year, Dec. and Jan. sort of float apart a bit.

I don't see multiple years on the same plane. I see them as basically a helical spiral, with my vision such that I can only see about a twelve month span at any given time, but by sliding up or down the spiral you can adjust which span that is. That's most likely why December and January don't normally connect -- January is pointing down to the previous loop of the spiral, while December is pointing up to the next loop.

Comment

I tend to see sine waves. For weeks, the period is the week, and there's the aptly-named "hump day" on Wednesday. Similarly there's the seasonal sine wave which matches up with axial tilt of the Earth. Months are more of an impulse waveform, with a zero-width spike at each month boundary signaling the next artificial boundary, much like the index pulse and sector pulses of a disk drive.
      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

I don't see anything.

Time is boring to me.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

This thread is begging for a link to www.timecube.com

I'm along similar lines to Kero where weeks and months are a not-quite-circular loop only I go counterclockwise. Winter is around the bottom, spring to the right, etc.

Comment

I think of months as centerfolds, weeks as the limbs, and paydays as the good parts. I don't think about days. Screw them.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
              I think of months as centerfolds, weeks as the limbs, and paydays as the good parts. I don't think about days. Screw them.
              When I was a kid watching Partridge Family, I fantasized about Susan Day.

Oh, wait, that's Susan Dey. Never mind. :p

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001138/

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Screw her too!

Comment

No comprendo..

Days as 24hr things, Fridays and Saturdays are pretty much the same cept Fridays I wake up earlier, Sunday is my sober-up day, Monday is the day where I'll be tired no matter what, Tues-Thur is just whatever it is.. Usually try to keep up the grades...

Months- When thinking about a single month I think about what season its in first and what the weather and what usually happens in that month are like.

Years- The measurement of when knowledge tells everyone to start over again and brace for a new year..
                  "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                  'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy View Post
                    www DOT timecube DOT com
                    I read for maybe five minutes before I noticed the scroll bar is maybe two pixels wide on my monitor, so I drag it down and there's much more ranting. Could someone maybe explain what he's trying to say? I didn't really understand any of what he was saying. I also noted he went into bit of a racist rant there.

Also: wouldn't "disproving" God using Greenwich as proof also disprove Einstein's Theory of Relativity? A day (and "time") is per the observer, and I've always thought Greenwich is just modern society agreeing on a method to keeping track of said time. I've never heard of anyone using it as a way to say there's no God. He might've touched on this, but if he did I sure didn't catch it amidst the run-ons and poorly articulated argument for whatever it is he's arguing.

EDIT: I read a little on Wikipedia's page on this and also a Wikipedia link to an interview with him. He mentions that conventional knowledge/school/etc is brainwashing us. I fail to see how someone with no experience with such a system gives him authority to critique it. (IMO, someone who actually has a doctorate doesn't have to "proclaim" himself a doctor of a subject.) Also apparently he's in his upper 70s and started working on this theory in his 40s.
                    Last edited by Capt Splendid; 10-14-2008, 12:14 AM.

Comment

The Babelfish is the canonical proof of the non-existence of god. :D

Comment

Wha?

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Splendid View Post
                          How else do things like this show up in your head?
                          I think you would enjoy Edward Tufte.

Comment

I visualize the calendar just as I would see one, down to the numbers in the upper right, the grid lines, and some crazy weird picture above each month.

Holy cow, he has some bad grammar and punctuation!

And why does he feel the need to repeat "God" every 5th word?
                            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Time is a clock in my head. months start with January at 12, july at 6, moving clockwise. Seasons I see in the same manner, Spring at 5, sumer at 7, fall at 8, Winter at 10. (Minnesota ftw)

Weeks go in a line calender style left to right, Sun-Sat.
                              a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                              Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                              Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                              Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                              Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X