Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meet the new boss

FOLEY REPLACEMENT GETS HIS OWN SEX SCANDAL

West Palm Beach Congressman Tim Mahoney (D-FL), whose predecessor resigned in the wake of a sex scandal, agreed to a $121,000 payment to a former mistress who worked on his staff and was threatening to sue him
    Nice! Not exactly up there with chasing little boys around the House, but not bad.

As I recall, there was unanimity in denouncing Foley's behavior, but what really cost the Republicans was the House leadership's alleged cover-up. So this really caught my attention:

Senior Democratic leaders in the House of Representatives, including Rep. Rahm Emanuel (D-IL), the chair of the Democratic Caucus, have been working with Mahoney to keep the matter from hurting his re-election campaign, the Mahoney staffers said.
    Interesting if true. Personally I have a hard time believing the Democrats would attempt to keep this quiet just because of election year politics. They wouldn't do that would they?

Re: Meet the new boss

At the time, Mahoney's campaign ads featured a picture of him with his wife, Terry, with the line, "Restoring America's Values Begins at Home."
    Any time I see something like that I just assume the candidate is a perv.

Damage control and cover up are two different things. Though I think both are pretty sleazy.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Damage control and cover up depends on which side of the argument you're on. Defense attorneys talk about corporate data retention policies, and the plaintiffs' bar talks about evidence destruction policies.

Comment

Apparently she was fired after she objected to his next mistress.

Friends of Allen told ABC News that Allen sought to break off the affair when she learned Mahoney was allegedly involved in other extra-marital relationships at the same time.

Her friends say she told them Mahoney threatened that ending the relationship could cost her the job.
        In a February letter to Mahoney, Coleman alleged sexual harassment, intimidation, humiliation and charged that the Congressman's behavior masked a "dark and depraved personality," according to people who have seen the letter.
        Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Not that it's any excuse but at least Mahoney's dealing with a grown woman and not teenage boys...

What is with these people? I know the answer to that question, but I just keep asking it.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
            What is with these people?
            Power corrupts. This is why we worry so much about character and honesty.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
              If only character and honesty could judged truly.

Instead most rely on lapel pins.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Much of the voting public wants the Cleaver family in office. So an honest politician (to coin an oxymoron) who screws as many women (or boys) as he does taxpayers has to obfuscate his true nature.
                Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The article makes it sound like he was paying this ho with tax payer moneys for doing nothing but giving him sex all day. Like she did no work at all and then they start in with her being a poor single mother just trying to support her kids doing whatever she had to do. She is a home wrecker ho who was going for a longshot for the rich horny congressmen. Then she figured out there was another ho and went for plan B to the courtroom and try to get some hush money. She knew he was married and set him up by recording their private conversations. She is nothing but a dirty gold digger and doesn't deserve a dime. If 30% of the general population is having extra marital affairs then it's going to be at least double that for these political scumbags. And no the new boss is not the same as the old boss. Shame on anyone that is comparing this to raping young boys. Shame I tells ya!!!
                  Last edited by Hambergler; 10-14-2008, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Ah yes the she's a whore and a liar defense. Fight the good fight, Hammy B!

Comment

Ah yes the she's a whore and a liar defense. Fight the good fight, Hammy B!
                      I never said she was a liar.

People pay whores so the will go away, and that's exactly what happened. His only crime was he was trying not to pay her at all. I'm glad she got that straightened out in court. I don't like to see single moms get pushed around.

Comment

Another group of people to whom folks write large checks are those whom they have sexually harassed in the workplace.

I guess we can all agree that it sounds like the district has a pretty crappy talent pool.

Comment

I don't worry that much about character and honesty in politics because it usually isn't there. Like I've recently posted in another thread, people seem to believe, whether consciously or subconcisously, that elected officials and 'leaders' are somehow perfect, or need to be perfect. They usually aren't, which shouldn't be surprising at all. Most humans are imperfect in character in a variety of ways. When you combine this with power, it usually adds up to abuse. There is a long track record of this with people in powerful positions who abused their power (or perceived power) in one way or another - executives (Enron, Tyco, Adelphia), public attorneys (Spitzer), presidents and vice presidents (Nixon, Clinton, Cheney), mayors and governors (Kilpatrick, Palin). They may be to varying degrees, but they all abused their positions to better their personal cause.

No, I don't worry so much about character and honesty because in many ways it's dishonest to do so. When I do see character and honesty I like to think I notice it. This is one of the main reasons that I like McCain - perhaps a bit less since he sold his soul in the name of a campaign - but it's still worthy of credit in the sea of unethical behavior that is public office.

Comment

Originally posted by amosely View Post
                            when i do see character and honesty i like to think i notice it. This is one of the main reasons that i like mccain - perhaps a bit less since he sold his soul in the name of a campaign - but it's still worthy of credit in the sea of unethical behavior that is public office.
                            bingo!

I have to disagree with you and everyone else who claim that they don't worry about character and honesty in politicians. EVERYONE seems willing to pounce on the slightest example of "lack thereof" in the opposition. Character and honesty may not matter much, but lack of character and dishonesty is an immediate DQ, so....what up with that?

Comment

I have to disagree with you and everyone else who claim that they don't worry about character and honesty in politicians. EVERYONE seems willing to pounce on the slightest example of "lack thereof" in the opposition. Character and honesty may not matter much, but lack of character and dishonesty is an immediate DQ, so....what up with that?
                              I think the answer to that question lies within the perception that public leaders are supposed to be flawless. We want our leaders to be of the strongest moral and ethical fiber yet refuse to accept the basic fact that more often than not those who seek power are the most likely to abuse it.

McCain stands out. Biden stands out. These are people who have had a hard enough life that they aren't going to take the power they have for granted. Obama, being relatively new is also somewhat of an unknown - in a way I am surprised that the Wright and Ayers connections are the best character 'flaw' that has been found on Obama so far - in a way I think that is indicative of a strong character and not a weak one, but perhaps I just want to believe. Palin on the other hand has now been tagged with unethical behavior - not scandalous but tagged none the less.

Frankly I think Cheney's actions in the White House are among some of the most damaging in history. These go beyond unethical, they're unamerican. This is the guy who brought you the Iraq war (and its falsified intel), Guantanamo Bay, the torture question and NSA wiretapping.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X