I blame the liberal plumbers....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I blame the liberal plumbers....

Okay, so what's the deal with this? For as distanced as I make myself from politics, I still hear this more than anything else: "... blame the liberal [x]". I'm in the military so I work with a lot of conservatives and I hear it the most from them, and they're unable (or unwilling) to explain themselves. I hear it on the news, the internet, and... well yeah.

The impression I get is that people are unwilling to be held accountable for their own opinions. That doesn't make a lot of sense, I guess, but it's the impression I get.

For example - the Republicans controlled the Legislative and Executive branches for the better part of 6 years. Yet during this time, even when something happens, I'd overhear grumbling of the 'f-ng liberals [in government]'. For the whole of ~2 years the Democrats control congress, it's gotten worse, despite Bush's power of veto.

A school has to remove the 10 commandments? It's the 'f-ng liberal courts'.

Any news source (no matter which one) reports anything pro-Democrat? It's the 'f-ng liberal media' (quite ironic considering how most major news outlets were revealed to have somewhat conservative slants).

A school doesn't teach Creationism? It's the 'f-ng liberal schools'.

I'll bet you at least someone in a position to get heard grumbled about 'f-ng liberal plumber unions' in regards to Joe the Plumber being unlicensed.

Can someone shed some light on this impression that everything is the 'f-ng liberals' faults? That conservatives have never done anything wrong, that liberals are (apparently?) running this country (which is ironic considering the purpose of voting, and voting history in the last 10 years).

If you are actually one of these people, do you honestly believe that our country is being held hostage by some sort of liberal conspiracy? Some sort of 'illiberalinati'? At any rate, hearing this argument is quite tiring, especially since how illogical it mostly is...

Re: I blame the liberal plumbers....

Well, I believe it's because it goes against everything we hear in major media outlets. There's a liberal bias throughout North American entertainment venues and it just feels good to rebel against them by muttering under your breath, "damn liberals".

I probably mutter about "damn bible beaters" just as much, though, which would be an anti0-conservative rant...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
      I probably mutter about "damn bible beaters" just as much, though, which would be an anti0-conservative rant...
      No, no, no, no, no! Muttering about "damn bible beaters" under your breath is not an anti-conservative rant. If the last eight years are any indicator, evangelicals could not care less about core conservative principals.
      ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
      No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
        No, no, no, no, no! Muttering about "damn bible beaters" under your breath is not an anti-conservative rant. If the last eight years are any indicator, evangelicals could not care less about core conservative principals.
        I agree with that, but I'd add that domestic policies are the first casualty of war, and

I consider myself a christian, but I've also referred to "little baby jesus" (LBJ) as a "that cockblocking little bastard", so I guess I'm one of those bible beaters who is willing to risk eternal damnation for comedy.

With regard to liberals, so many are just completely insufferably smug know-it-alls. If you disagree you're a racist, or ignorant, or both. Makes you want to punch a few in the neck. Oh I'm sorry, did that kill you? How intolerant of me! What did we learn?

I guess the point is that barking moonbats exist on both sides of the spectrum and they are totally obnoxious.

Comment

And you can save $35 on a Sylvan SAT or ACT prep course today! I blame the liberals for those ads we keep seeing on every thread now. :p

j/k
          "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
            And you can save $35 on a Sylvan SAT or ACT prep course today! I blame the liberals for those ads we keep seeing on every thread now. :p

j/k
            It's the liberal internet! And those damn liberal search engines!

Comment

Well obviously you're going to blame liberals for taking religion out of schools. "Surely it wasn't us Fundamentalists!" What I'm saying is if you're with the GOP, that's who you blame. If you're Liberal, you're like to call fault to those "Bible beaters" as Cingular mentioned or "Right-wing Conservatives," a slur I often hear.

I can't pull up cite, but I know I've heard somewhere that college-educated younger folk tend to be more liberal, and the Republican votes come from less- or uneducated older people who are already set in their ways. This, I think, is where we get the slurs "Liberal elite" and "redneck", but I could be wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                With regard to liberals, so many are just completely insufferably smug know-it-alls. If you disagree you're a racist, or ignorant, or both. Makes you want to punch a few in the neck. Oh I'm sorry, did that kill you? How intolerant of me! What did we learn.
                Like you said, conservatives are not much different.

With regard to conservatives, so many are just completely insufferably smug know-it-alls. If you disagree you're unpatriotic, communist, ignorant, or all the above. Makes you want to punch a few in the neck. Oh I'm sorry, did that kill you? How unpatriotic of me!
                Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by leejo View Post
                  With regard to liberals, so many are just completely insufferably smug know-it-alls. If you disagree you're a racist, or ignorant, or both. Makes you want to punch a few in the neck. Oh I'm sorry, did that kill you? How intolerant of me! What did we learn?

I guess the point is that barking moonbats exist on both sides of the spectrum and they are totally obnoxious.
                  While I agree that barking moonbats exist on both sides of the spectrum, your negative comments and mockery of empathy assome kind of liberal stereotype would seem to indicate that you are one of the moonbats. If the truth lies somewhere in the middle, you're not even trying to get there.

In response to Uranium's question about everything being blamed on liberals, or the 'liberal media,' I'd suggest that these are merely echoes of the loudest mouth in the room. Conservative talk is a loud voice in this country - many in media studies see it as the loudest. That doesn't make everything they say true. I could go into greater detail about why conservative views tend to bear a sharper edge than others, but this isn't the place for that. What I can say is that liberal politics tend to take the blame for most government intervention and policy because in the eyes of a conservative they have to - the fundamentals of conservativism speak of non-interference by government, so interference by government must be labeled as wrong by default. My main criticism of this line of thought is that it circumvents the conceptual debate of ethics and justice in legislation, which to me is the real point. Furthermore, the fundamental belief in anti-government intervention doesn't hold up when it comes to the subject of marriage and abortion law, where conservatives find themselves fighting for government intervention in the daily lives of citizens. In my opinion, this kind of polarization goes against the entire concept of government itself - a government that by default should not govern makes little sense.

The fact of the matter is - and I think most everyone gets this - there are hardened participants of any group who tend to wear blinders on their rose-colored glasses. In a way we all do this, whether consciously or not. It's important to seek out truth, especially that which contradicts your beliefs or opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                    While I agree that barking moonbats exist on both sides of the spectrum, your negative comments and mockery of empathy assome kind of liberal stereotype would seem to indicate that you are one of the moonbats. If the truth lies somewhere in the middle, you're not even trying to get there.
                    Maybe so, but since I'm the guy who consistently tests smack in the middle of any political spectrum test that gets thrown up around here, maybe not.

Comment

Uranium -- while I'll agree there's some barking moonbats around in both directions, it's really not that unreasonable that people would blame the opposing philosophy for changes made according to that philosophy. That doesn't really play into "control of Congress" at all -- when things change in the direction of the philosophy you support, you won't complain because you like those changes. When things change in the direction of the philosophy you don't support, you will complain and you will be perfectly justified in saying the opposing philosophy is responsible for the change. That may or may not translate into the changes actually being "bad", but they are most definately "unwanted" -- at least by the speaker. So what's wrong with that?

So your impression that, according to these speakers:
                      everything is the 'f-ng liberals' faults? That conservatives have never done anything wrong, that liberals are (apparently?) running this country
                      ... is inaccurate. It's not necessary to say conservatives have never done anything wrong -- they probably have. But when they do things that are more "conservative vs liberal" than "right vs wrong", conservative spectators will see those things as good and not complain. And its not necessary for liberals to be running the country in order to influence some policies -- so when liberals do things that are liberal, conservative spectators will see those things as bad and will complain, specifically because they are liberal with no need to bring right vs wrong into it at all. And there's nothing wrong with that. Liberals will say exactly the same thing in reverse.

Comment

I have a question... Why is 'liberal' almost considered a cuss word?

Half the political adds I've seen this year have been so-and-so is a 'liberal!' with the creepy dramatic voice over making it sound like a horror flick.

~ Draken

Comment

It is also a belief that liberals are making this country weak. Political correctness that has run a muck is blamed on liberals. Look at the Iraq or Afghanistan wars, liberals seem to be the watch dog that has to criticize and scrutinize every move our soldiers make. War isn't pretty and mistakes are made and there are thoughts that due to this constant over watch that soldiers are loosing their life because they have to fight a more conservative war and those moments of hesitation are costing men and women their lives. Liberals also have a tendency to be pro gay rights

I don't personally believe in all of the aforementioned criticisms but some of them I do. So I think that is where a lot of the liberal blame comes into play. JMHO
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
                            It's because they....they just suck.

Comment

Originally posted by DrakenViator View Post
                              "Liberal" is a short-hand way of referring to a large number of policies that tend to be supported by liberals. For people who agree with those policies, it obviously wouldn't be a bad word. For people who disagree with those policies, then it will seem like a bad word because it brings to mind all those policies you disagree with.

The really tricky part is when you get people who disagree with most liberal policies, but can be convinced to agree with a few of them. They will most commonly only agree with those policies while thinking about them individually, but if you re-label them as "liberal policies! *gasp*" , then their mind calls up the association of all the other liberal policies that they don't like, and makes the one at hand seem less appealing. It is in this context that "liberal" functions most like a cuss word.

Of course, the reverse should be equally true for "conservative", if not for one detail: Many more people in this country see the word "conservative" as positive than do "liberal". I can't find the survey result at the moment that describes this, so feel free to ignore that if you don't trust me, but the rest of the point still stands.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X