Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Be polite when you ask for directions, don't shoot the persons dog!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be polite when you ask for directions, don't shoot the persons dog!

Only in Oklahoma:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFlWGeb_aw[/media]
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Be polite when you ask for directions, don't shoot the persons dog!

wow...

- -

Comment

That's disgusting.

Changing reports, covering up the truth, offering her money to keep quiet and asking her to withhold the video. This person should lose their job at the absolute least.

POE2 Developer

Comment

Not just this person, but also whoever was in charge of changing reports, covering up the truth, offering her money, asking her to withhold the video, etc..

Comment

I think she's nuts. I don't think he could have gotten in the car unless he did it as soon as he saw the dog. And I wouldn't be in fear of a dog when I first saw it, unless it was clifford sized and foaming at the mouth. Once he realized the dog was really coming, he couldn't have gotten in the car door in time.

My dad was a cop for a few years after retiring from the army. (he died from cancer after about 3 years on the force). The closest he came to pulling his gun was on a dog.

My opinion: If your dog is LOOSE on the property and it charges a cop - you get what you get. SUcks to be you.

Edit: id idn't know about the other stuff that you all mentioned. Just from the video - it didn't look like he could get back in that easily. You see a dog approaching, at first you don't worry. It isn't until it is closer and charging that most people have a little freak fest.
          "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
          Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
          " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

I was just about to post this on the good old cop hating thread....

This is why people hate cops... not just because of this prick.. but because of the 'good cops' that fell in line to allow an attempted cover up.

And skylark -- did you see that dog? Did it look life threatening.... I bet the cop had pepper spray on his belt too... that could have worked.
            |TG|Switch

Better known as:
            That noob who crashed the chopper.
            That noob who ran over the mine.
            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
              I think she's nuts. I don't think he could have gotten in the car unless he did it as soon as he saw the dog. And I wouldn't be in fear of a dog when I first saw it, unless it was clifford sized and foaming at the mouth. Once he realized the dog was really coming, he couldn't have gotten in the car door in time.

My dad was a cop for a few years after retiring from the army. (he died from cancer after about 3 years on the force). The closest he came to pulling his gun was on a dog.

My opinion: If your dog is LOOSE on the property and it charges a cop - you get what you get. SUcks to be you.

Edit: id idn't know about the other stuff that you all mentioned. Just from the video - it didn't look like he could get back in that easily. You see a dog approaching, at first you don't worry. It isn't until it is closer and charging that most people have a little freak fest.
              I disagree. A dog loose in the neighborhood and attacking someone is one thing. A dog on your own property is one thing. But if you go onto someone's property uninvited, and you are frightened of their dog, then you do what the rest of us do and you retreat. The cop has body armor, probably a baton, probably pepper spray, a taser...

A charging naked man 3 times the size of that dog is far more likely to be a deadly threat, and far less likely to be shot by a police officer as a first reaction, without even physical contact ever having been made. Was he afraid the dog had a death ray? Frickin' lasers? The thing could have sunk its teeth into his arm and he'd be in better shape than most criminals who find themselves on the enforcement end of a well-trained police dog.

How many physically fit men trained to submit large, hostile opponents end up getting eaten by dogs every day? Many police departments have policies against shooting the drivers of cars being used as weapons. One would think there could be a "don't shoot until you're bleeding" rule.
              ---
              Sources say the Dow Jones' decline is directly related to Dethklok front-man Nathan Explosion's constant deleting of potential new albums.

Comment

disgusting.
                if you dont like the dog stay the hell off the property.

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
                  Skylark, theres ample evidence to the contrary. The guy didnt turn and run. He didnt even move quickly. He stepped backward slowly, drew his gun slowly, had enough time to track the dog with the gun and make a killing shot. If you're truly in fear for your life from a charging animal, you're not going to be able to do that, not to mention that my first reaction (and most other people's) would be to either bolt for the car door or jump up onto the roof/hood of the car. His reaction was WAY too calculated to have been acting in "fear". Besides, if it really was fear, why the hell would they try and cover it up?

Comment

You want to see unjustified dog death by police incompetence - a little 15 pound anklebiter they let out of the car and wasn't actually doing ANYTHING menacing takes a 12-gauge to the face.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv0T2X1dXcI[/media]

(I really hate how this forum doesn't at least provide a link to the YOUTUBE PAGE so you can read the information on it)

This is video from a police car's dash-cam that shows Tennessee State Troopers shooting a North Carolina family's dog (around 3:03 in the video). It happened while the family was returning from their vacation in Nashville. Police say they stopped them because they "matched the description" in a robbery that had just occurred (they were actually incident). The officer who shot the dog (Eric Hall) hasn't been punished for the episode; he has only been reassigned to "administrative duties". The Tennessee Department of Safety issued an apology here: http://tennessee.gov/safety/newsrelea...

Here is the account of what happened from the point-of-view of Eric Hall: "I yelled at the dog to 'get back' but it attempted to circle me to attack, so I felt that I had no other option but to protect myself."

Here is the account of what happened from the point-of-view of the family: "My dog then came out of the car and ran towards the officer with the shotgun and flashlight. We started yelling to please let us get him, don't shoot, he was only barking at the flashlight and jumping at the light. My son plays with him using a flashlight. This is when my dog was murdered."

Further information:
                    http://tinyurl.com/2f97jv
                    http://tinyurl.com/2esao5
                    http://tinyurl.com/2xyjgd
                    http://tinyurl.com/yrkssb
                    I also remember another one where the cop pulled his gun and fired it through the back window to kill the dog in the back seat during a traffic stop.

As for this video - I don't know. That was a fair-sized dog and it was running full-speed towards the officer. I've had plenty of experience living in Colorado with rednecks who own ******* dogs (mostly Pit Bulls) that'll charge you as you just walk by, and at one point, I had to save my own puppy from nearly being mauled by one.

Let me put it this way - if your dog is one to run at people (and I assume be annoying and jump on them) it can be either to attack or just because you suck at dog training, but you don't just keep your dog in the front yard without a chain or something. I think both are equally at faults for different reasons here.

However, here's a story on the opposite side:

http://www.officer.com/web/online/To...et-Dog/1$43656

The dog and officers had gone across the street to make sure the suspects weren't hiding in the back yard when the owners of the house apparently let Gracie out to do her business.

Savilla said the Dachshund charged and jumped at Bullet, and the larger German shepherd instinctively bit at Gracie.

"The canine did what he's trained to do -- protect himself and his master," Savilla said.

Jarrell immediately ordered Bullet to stop the attack, but Savilla said the bite apparently pierced Gracie's lungs. Savilla said the dog was taken to Spring Hill Animal Clinic, but died a short time later.

Nitro Mayor Rusty Casto said the city would pay Gracie's $700 veterinarian bill, and would pay for a new dog.
                    Last edited by Uranium - 235; 10-23-2008, 08:26 PM.

Comment

I lived in Blanchard for a few years. The cops around there where known to be a bit corrupt. It is a known speed trap as well.

The biggest problem I see is that the sheriff was on private property when he shot the dog. He wasn't there for official business, he just asking for directions. And the guy wasn't in city limits so city rules don't be countin' for much. I know out there you shoot a persons pet or livestock you are asking for trouble.
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Haha 5-0 finally gets screwed over by someones tape.. Turn of events...
                        "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                        'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

I feel bad for the owner at the loss of a pet. Really, the most disgusting thing is that the cop stopped for directions on their property. I could understand something of this sort happening under other circumstances, but like this? Uncalled for on the part of the cop.

Comment

Let's put this in a different light though - what if the cop didn't shoot the dog, and it mauled his arm, severed major tendons damaged, rendering him unfit for duty and with hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical bills in reconstructive surgery?

I'm an animal lover, but I see two people ultimately making bad decisions, with a dog caught in the middle. And frankly, one of the basic rules of pet ownership is to be able to control your pet. The thing that makes me question this video is that the cop had his gun out long before the dog got to him, but only ultimately shot the dog when it was just a foot away. Were he to have opened fire as the dog was further away, I'd put my foot down, but what I think is that he was waiting to see if the dog would stop before it got to his squad car.

Now the other issue is location - I know in a lot of backwater places like this, anything goes, and I would assume a sheriff who works out in these parts would know what to expect of these outdoor dogs. I grew up in cities, and if I were walking by someone's house and their dog hauled ass after me, I'd not hesitate to brain it out with a rock.

Comment

Man, I'd like to say that I'd not do the same thing, but if a medium sized dog came running full speed at me, growling and barking viciously, I think I'm shooting it too.

That dog owner is absolutely at fault. What if it was a small child that got out of a car when a parent stopped to ask for directions?

And those of you with private property arguments need to consider the difference between publicly available property and curtilage. Anyone in the world may walk up to my front door and ring the doorbell on my house. They are legally entitled to do so in the USA. I may then tell them to get off my property, and, in most places, they must do so. Nobody in the world, however, may climb my fence and walk up to my back door without a warrant. My back yard is curtilage on my private property. I say this only to point out the absurdity of the property argument that a few have put forth in this thread.

Bottom line is that owners must be able to keep their dogs from threatening other people if they don't want their dogs to get shot.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X