Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Child dies at gun range from a self-inflicted wound. By a fully auto UZI. In MA.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Child dies at gun range from a self-inflicted wound. By a fully auto UZI. In MA.

Tragic:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...ies_in_sh.html

I'm at a loss for words... Whatever happened to letting the kiddo's shoot a pellet gun? Or heck.. even a .22?
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Child dies at gun range from a self-inflicted wound. By a fully auto UZI. In MA.

:( http://j-walkblog.com/images2/gunflyer.png

No age limits on shooting machine guns? I wonder what "other fun stuff we can't print here" constituted targets at this event.
    Last edited by sordavie; 10-28-2008, 02:10 AM.

Comment

Re: Child dies at gun range from a self-inflicted wound. By a fully auto UZI. In MA.

By the article is seems that the child wasn't injured by any gunfire, but the act of firing itself. Seems the recoil clocked him a good one on the right side of the head causing the injuries that led to his death.

Now what idiot lets an 8 year old fire a weapon with that much recoil like that? Machine guns I can't sorta understand. A lot of them are mounted and don't move enough unless you put your face right up to them. Shotguns and fully automatic or high caliber? That's just stupid. We have enough net videos of 'capable adults' having rifles and shotguns recoil and crack them in the noggin. Doing that to a kid or letting it happen is probably criminal neglect.
      My sanity is not in question...
      It was a confirmed casualty some time ago.

Light, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of the people I had to kill because they ticked me off.

Comment

Oh, man, that sucks so bad...

My kid (as a 6 year old) has shot machine guns before and I never even considered an accident like this happening. Maybe between myself and the owner of the MGs, there was just more supervision, but I just never imagined such a horrible thing even occurring.

Edit: the article says he shot himself in the head. Is there a better story somewhere else?
        Become a supporting member!
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          Is there a better story somewhere else?
          This one has a little more detail: http://www.wfsb.com/news/17810051/detail.html

A micro uzi has a pretty short barrel and is pretty light. The recoil while firing on automatic is probably pretty tough to control even for an adult.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarenth View Post
            Now what idiot lets an 8 year old fire a weapon with that much recoil like that?
            This question keeps going through my head... I keep replaying how it went when my son shot a small SMG (Mac10, IIRC). I remember the owner of the machine gun was basically holding the gun and my son was pretty much just pulling the trigger. Muzzle rise is an obvious expectation, so even with a kid that thinks he can handle it, I can't imagine the owner/instructor not being ready with his hand above the muzzle, ready to keep it from kicking all the way back towards the kid's head. ESPECIALLY with such a short barreled gun...

Man, this is going to depress me all day...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Bad parenting will probably be the cause of another topic for pro gun control activists....
              "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
              'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

is it wrong that i also feel that parenting is linked to this? I mean did this guy really expect his child to be able to handle a machine gun by himself? I am surprised also that the Gun Club would allow a child (not a minor) onto its premises. I also am curious if the parent filled out any documentation that stated if anything were to happen the club would not be held responsible. I feel horribly for the family and friends and relatives, but that is a bit young to let your son or daughter fire a weapon, there is a reason why you have to be an adult to own one, and why minors are told not to use guns alone and only with adult supervision.

- Cant wait for people to tell me when they were teenagers they went hunting without their parents and used rifles with them not around. My answer good for you.

- You should show your son some woodworking skills, carpentry is a great place to start, sanding, etc.
                Last edited by Bob_Vila; 10-29-2008, 01:02 PM.
                ww.thisoldhouse.com/toh/

ww.bobross.com/ - RIP Bob, we all still miss you!

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                  Bad parenting will probably be the cause of another topic for pro gun control activists....
                  Exactly. It is dispicable that people use tragedy to try to push legislation through. I don't think more legislation would have served well here in any case. I think it is a case of terrible parenting. I don't have a problem with someone teaching their child to shoot. I also don't have a problem with people have guns or concealed weapons etc. I however do have a problem with someone thinking that it is ok to have a child fire a weapon that most people would have trouble controlling due to it's small size and high rate of fire, without supervision.

Comment

So now pools are only 1,000 times more dangerous to children than firing machine guns?
                    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Tybalt, I think you'll find that swimming pools are well more than 1000x more COMMONLY USED by 8 year olds, therefore that comparison is absurdly out-of-context. You put an UZI next to each swimming pool that is being used by 8 year olds, and I think you'll find a completely different statistic. I mean, seriously, are you suggesting that in ANY scenario an 8 year old should be handling an automatic UZI? I mean.. SERIOUSLY??!?

I agree that the parent is 100% at fault and this case really has no bearing on gun control issues, but cmon man... swimming pools? What did it do, order a drink for the parent to distract them while it claimed its young victim? In my opinion, both are clearly the fault of the adult supervisor.

"Who put the fun in dysfunctional? I." - Aesop Rock

"Cuz you can choose to say 'Good morning, God! =)' or 'Good God, morning! =(" - Blackalicious

Comment

Well Ive had this story since yesterday and much like Cig its got me very down. I have some experience being shot by and 8 year old with a 25cal pistol. To give a mini-uzi to a child and let him fire it full auto without an adult "hands-on" was stupid.

Sarcoma
                        Sarcoma.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Vila View Post
                          is it wrong that i also feel that parenting is linked to this? I mean did this guy really expect his child to be able to handle a machine gun by himself? I am surprised also that the Gun Club would allow a child (not a minor) onto its premises. I also am curious if the parent filled out any documentation that stated if anything were to happen the club would not be held responsible. I feel horribly for the family and friends and relatives, but that is a bit young to let your son or daughter fire a weapon, there is a reason why you have to be an adult to own one, and why minors are told not to use guns alone and only with adult supervision.
                          The child was being supervised by the father and a staff member from the gun club. Poorly supervised but the child was supervised. I was as surprised as Cing that the adults were at a distance and not with at least a hand on the gun.

I'm most annoyed that the sheriff was quoted as saying he was not aware of a law that allows an 8 year old to fire a machine gun. Shouldn't he be looking for legislation prohibiting an 8 year old firing the gun since laws restrict behavior, not allow behavior? There's no law that says I can eat cereal for breakfast for instance.
                          |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

why was he even shooting a uzi anyways

Comment

Originally posted by Sarcoma View Post
                              Well Ive had this story since yesterday and much like Cig its got me very down. I have some experience being shot by and 8 year old with a 25cal pistol. To give a mini-uzi to a child and let him fire it full auto without an adult "hands-on" was stupid.

Sarcoma
                              You got shot by an 8 year old? :(

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...