Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Have you ever wondered what would happen if a Nuke went off in your city?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you ever wondered what would happen if a Nuke went off in your city?

Well, here's a google mapplet that will show you the extent of the damage:

http://www.carloslabs.com/node/16

Sweet.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Re: Have you ever wondered what would happen if a Nuke went off in your city?

LOL. If you hit The Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco you can pretty much level the city. Ahh..and my house too. CRAP!

Sarcoma
    Sarcoma.

Comment

A good presentation about the dangers of nuclear war/terrorism, and how to survive a nuclear attack:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/i...terrorism.html

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Well, it turns out that an asteroid impact on my friend's house would wipe it out, the village, the town it is near, the city the town is near, the country the town is in, the continent the country is in, and most of the northern hemisphere!

Good times.
        |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
        Irregular since 2007.

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by Rincewind View Post
          Have you ever wondered what would happen if a Nuke went off in your city?
          I used to wonder sometimes. Then I moved to a smaller city, and now I just assume it will hit someone else. :p

Comment

Welp, I live in the metro DC area, and I plan on checking it out when I get home to play Fallout this evening.
            "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
            He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Actually, while that applet is fun, I note with some disappointment that it doesn't show structure damage. You can decide how far away from the nuke you want to be standing to get a certain type of skin burn, assuming you are standing outside, but I want to know how big of a blast radius will see all the houses knocked down. I mean, if you're in the "2nd degree burn" area, but you are inside at the time, does that mean you're safe?

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
                Welp, I live in the metro DC area, and I plan on checking it out when I get home to play Fallout this evening.
                Oooo OOOOOO oo. Fallout! Yay!
                ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

Since I also live in the D.C metro area, I've thought about this for a bit. Well, if you were to nuke the White House, I'm in the clear! Fingers crossed for a non-northwesterly wind!

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
                    Since I also live in the D.C metro area, I've thought about this for a bit. Well, if you were to nuke the White House, I'm in the clear! Fingers crossed for a non-northwesterly wind!
                    You'd be fine since it is rare to have the winds run northwesterly, even aloft. Most winds run straight west to east.

On the other hand, depends also on the size of the nuke and how high up it is when it is detonated. You might escape the blast that levels Washington, but I can promise you that if one took out Pittsburgh, Columbus, Ohio, or even Indiana you'd be dealing with the fallout before too long. :)

"Remember to pillage BEFORE you burn!"

Comment

Speaking of which, why did they take Jericho off the air?

Comment

I guess we are in luck that Mega-ton yield bombs are no longer favored by the worlds nuclear powers.

Sarcoma
                        Sarcoma.

Comment

Every popcorn kernel in 50 miles would be popped

Comment

This is truely one of the only things that actually makes me afraid.. Have had nightmares about seeing a missile drop in the middle of downtown Seattle.

Heh, check out the Tsar bomba though, didnt really realize the magnitude of that bomb.. (Heh other Tsar s*** is pretty cool also though, (Tsar Cannon, Bell, etc.))
                            "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                            'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

The original Tsar Bomba was nearly twice as big, they took off half of it before firing it when they got worried about permanent atmospheric damage from an explosion of that size. Plus, who knows how far the fallout might travel? Nukes that big are hard to test efficiently. :p

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X