Support the troops: watch the War Briefing

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Support the troops: watch the War Briefing

Spend an hour watching this 'briefing' on the war in Afghanistan. The troops aren't defending our freedom, they're fighting the Taliban and trying to contain and possibly get at Al Qaeda. Pay attention to the importance of what they're doing, what they've been given to do it (not much) and what choices the next American president will need to make.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/warbriefing/

Re: Support the troops: watch the War Briefing

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
    Spend an hour watching this 'briefing' on the war in Afghanistan. The troops aren't defending our freedom, they're fighting the Taliban and trying to contain and possibly get at Al Qaeda. Pay attention to the importance of what they're doing, what they've been given to do it (not much) and what choices the next American president will need to make.

pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/warbriefing/
    That is your opinion on what the troops are or are not doing. Do you support the troops Amosely?

I would also suggest watching some documentaries in regards to British Troops in Afghanistan. Ross Kemp's documentary is excellent, another one is called "National Geographic- Inside The Green Berets".
    ww.thisoldhouse.com/toh/

ww.bobross.com/ - RIP Bob, we all still miss you!

Comment

Well, I would tend to agree that they aren't directly protecting our freedom. I don't mean that to insult or disrespect anyone who has fought or is fighting overseas or who has served or is serving in our military. But I tend to think it is misleading when they say the troops are fighting for our freedoms. I see it as they are fighting to bring freedom to Afghanistan and Iraq as well as damage the terror networks overseas that train and equip insurgents/terrorists and that carry/plan the attacks. I firmly support the troops that are doing their job and who behave morally.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Vila View Post
        That is your opinion on what the troops are or are not doing. Do you support the troops Amosely?
        Of course it's my opinion, but one I'm more than willing to debate. I absolutely support the troops. I don't always support the decisions made by civilian leadership, and there are some big ones that need to be addressed in Afghanistan not just by the current president but the next one as well. That's the focus of this particular documentary, and the focus of my post and comments therein.

Originally posted by Bob_Vila
        I would also suggest watching some documentaries in regards to British Troops in Afghanistan. Ross Kemp's documentary is excellent, another one is called "National Geographic- Inside The Green Berets".
        I've watched Ross Kemp's, but as an American I'm more concerned with the policies that directly effect American troops and what they're being tasked with.

Comment

You understand though that the Taliban, and Al Qaeda have embodied terrorism. Terrorism has no end, it is to provoke and strike fear and terror into human beings. Our freedoms can be hindered by terrorism, I am not a good debater, but if our soldiers both in iraq, and Afghanistan are able to hinder the terrorists then in a sense they are helping our freedoms.

I couldn't imagine growing up in England where there have been multiple bombings, or Israel. Sometimes we take for granted what we have here in America, and by we I am including all political parties and all walks of life.
          ww.thisoldhouse.com/toh/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob_Vila View Post
            You understand though that the Taliban, and Al Qaeda have embodied terrorism. Terrorism has no end, it is to provoke and strike fear and terror into human beings. Our freedoms can be hindered by terrorism, I am not a good debater, but if our soldiers both in iraq, and Afghanistan are able to hinder the terrorists then in a sense they are helping our freedoms.
            Your logic is certainly correct but is as indirect as saying everything the military does is in defense of American freedom. I agree that terrorism has no end in that it is a tactic - it has no beginning either other than its use by a particular group. It hinders freedom as directly as an oil or economic crisis.

I think the facts supercede the logic in this case. Bin Laden has said repeatedly that Al Qaeda is attacking America in self defense. In his 2002 'Letter to America' he answers the question of 'why are we fighting and opposing you' 'Because you attacked us and continue to attack us' and goes on to list American involvement in Palestine and Somalia and the support of the 'Jews.' His fight has nothing to do with American freedom, at least in his mind.

The Taliban is a different case altogether. This is a group that has never attacked America, and has only fought U.S. soldiers after war was declared on them due to their harboring of Al Qaeda. They are Islamic fundamentalists and are obviously prepared to defend themselves, but they aren't terrorists. Before 9/11, America had direct relations with them. They even visited Bush's White House in the summer of 2001.

In the case of Iraq, I think the case becomes even more vague. Iraq never attacked America nor American interests. They did attack (Kuwait) and threaten (W.M.D's, Israel) American allies, and those are the only reasons U.S. forces have engaged there. One could make the argument that the freedoms of those nations were indirectly in jeapardy, but not America's freedoms, or sovreignty for that matter.

Originally posted by Bob Vila
            I couldn't imagine growing up in England where there have been multiple bombings, or Israel. Sometimes we take for granted what we have here in America, and by we I am including all political parties and all walks of life.
            I lived in Israel for a time in the early 90's during the twilight of the second intifada. It significantly changed my world view in almost every respect.

Comment

/rant We have no business in that part of the world. I'm tired of hearing about this war for their freedom when they clearly don't want freedom. If they really wanted freedom that bad, they would do what our American ancestors did and fight for it. All we're doing is pushing our beliefs on them.

Send the troops to Africa and do something worth while. Tell the American government to fight the real evil, genocide(which apparently isnt happening in Africa and didn't happen to the Armenians). When this nation fights a war that isn't for profit*coughoilcough* i will support the military.

I support the SOLDERS in this war. I do not support our military or its decisions.

/end rant.

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

The military doesn't make the decisions. The government does.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RudeBoy View Post
                  /rant We have no business in that part of the world. I'm tired of hearing about this war for their freedom when they clearly don't want freedom. If they really wanted freedom that bad, they would do what our American ancestors did and fight for it. All we're doing is pushing our beliefs on them.

Send the troops to Africa and do something worth while. Tell the American government to fight the real evil, genocide(which apparently isnt happening in Africa and didn't happen to the Armenians). When this nation fights a war that isn't for profit*coughoilcough* i will support the military.

I support the SOLDERS in this war. I do not support our military or its decisions.

/end rant.
                  the american government never said the armenian genocide never occurred, same goes for what happened in rwanda.

A major reason for the genocide in rwanda dates back to when the portugese had colonies in africa along with many other "EUROPEAN" countries, and they drew up borders, that didn't hold any water for the Hutu's and the Tutsi's. And Yes it turned out to be a UN Blunder for not intervening altogether, but you can't blame it on the United States.

Why should our soldiers go to africa? They went to Somalia and look at the praise they received from the communist new network.

So where in Africa should they go now? Or where does George Clooney and Hollywood want them to go?

"If you have a leak in your roof, you can't blame the plumber."
                  ww.thisoldhouse.com/toh/

Comment

Originally posted by RudeBoy View Post
                    Actually that's not what's happening at all - no one is fighting for freedom, they're fighting for control. America has 'business' with Bin Laden's Al Qaeda. I don't think there's any way of denying that. Since the Taliban has stepped up in defense of them and Afghanistan, American troops now have 'business' with them as well.

The real business is exactly what was outlined in the documentary I posted (the War Briefing): Pakistan is edging closer and closer to becoming a failed nuclear state because of the growing insurgency within the northern tribal area (which is huge and rugged) of Afghanistan and Pakistan. Complicating this is the fact that Pakistanis are more concerned with India's influence in Afghanistan than the Taliban's influence on their own country, and there are credible signs that the Pakistani military is propping up the Taliban in Afghanistan. This is a very serious situation because not only are U.S. forces caught up in it right now as they chase Bin Laden, they may be needed to prevent a collapse of the Pakistani state government or else face the real possibility of a nuclear war in that part of the world.

Unfortunately this ranks higher on the crisis scale than the regional conflicts of Africa, somewhat regardless of their atrocity. As if Darfur is not enough, the Congo is now sliding back into ethnic conflict.

It is a dismal landscape indeed.

Comment

I was hearing on the radio that civilians in Congo were throwing rocks at American "peacekeepers" in protect that they weren't being deployed to protect the civilians from various violent factions. So why do we have people there, then? Why not either bring them home or redeploy them to somewhere where they'll be used?
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                        I was hearing on the radio that civilians in Congo were throwing rocks at American "peacekeepers" in protect that they weren't being deployed to protect the civilians from various violent factions. So why do we have people there, then? Why not either bring them home or redeploy them to somewhere where they'll be used?
                        If there are American troops there, they are deployed under the auspices of the U.N. peacekeeping force and therefore are under U.N. control. All the stories I heard were that civilians were angry with U.N forces in general, which is sad because U.N. peacekeepers rarely get any respect and are often thrown into potential hornet's nests such as this with very little reserves.

Comment

So what keeps us from pulling our "contribution" for that particular deployment out?
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Very similar story from a different combat outpost near the tribal areas published in the Times yesterday. With all this talk of change, here are some of the guys who need it most urgently.

In roughly four months, Apache Troop has taken fire on at least 70 days. The attacks have come by rocket, mortar, machine gun and rifle fire. The troop’s patrols have been ambushed. Its observation posts have been hit by rocket fire.

On one day alone, the outpost was attacked four times.

“I’m just so tired of seeing muzzle flashes at 800 yards,” said Gunnery Sgt. Daniel McKernan, who trains and advises the Afghan Army here. “This is like Vietnam. Hike around these mountains and you never see them. But they are always out there. And they always attack you.”
                            http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/10/wo...10outpost.html

Comment

The US does not provide personnel for UN peacekeeping operations.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X