XXXXX-American

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XXXXX-American

I will start by saying i hate this word, conjunction, thingy-majiger. I'll use black people as an example. To me, African Americans are people who came FROM AFRICA to AMERICA and gained citizen ship. If you are a black with ancestry to Africa, you are AMERICAN with AFRICAN roots.

We all honestly need to get over this whole thing. We are all AMERICANS and shouldn't be separated by our ancestors ties. If your black skinned, i might identify you as black, but your still an american. Better yet, if your asian, i might call you "the asian dude" but your still AMERICAN!

How do you guys feel about this?

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Re: XXXXX-American

I agree in theory, but in practice its just not a real high priority for me. If they (generic "they") want to be called an African-American, I'm not going to worry about it all that much.

Comment

I agree to some extent. America is a melting pot of cultures and should integrate good ideas from different cultures.

As an Asian (Taiwanese) American I don't care what I'm classified as.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

It wouldn't be so confusing, except that different groups of the same people want to be called different things.
        Some want to be called black, but not african-american. Some want the other way. etc...
        Same with other groups.
        I remember speach class in college. Myself and one other guy with three woman. We were doing this exercise to determine what word to use to cover what group. The problem was that the three couldn't agree on what to call the non-male half of the human species. One of them would have a problem with no matter what word we wanted to use. One says "I ain't no lady", another was neither a woMAN or a feMALE, and the other wasn't a girl. The two of us agreed (from several hundred feet away from the building and the three whatevers) that if we knew that no matter what word we would use would insult them, we should have just used the B word and gotten it over with.
        "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
        Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
        " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

It's a personal choice. If you don't like it or think it is somehow non-patriotic then that's your choice.

People like to be identified or classified in relation to things of their choosing. Some don't like to be identified or classified as anything at all.

In the end I don't think it really matters as long as each person is happy with how they see them selves.

Comment

Originally posted by tau_neutrino View Post
            I agree to some extent. America is a melting pot of cultures and should integrate good ideas from different cultures.

As an Asian (Taiwanese) American I don't care what I'm classified as.
            I think the problem is that America is not so much a melting pot, as it is a tossed salad. Though yes, there are a large number of people from all over the world, those groups are often highly concentrated instead of mixed in with everyone else.
            On the contrary, one also gets people like me, a half Nigerian who has grown up in a predominately white, upper middle class area with almost no association to my more "ethnic" roots (beyond my skin color, sense of timing, and retired general of an uncle who needs to move a large sum of money via western union who just needs a little bit of help), but I am obviously part of a pretty damned small minority in that aspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Adiventure View Post
              On the contrary, one also gets people like me, a half Nigerian who has grown up in a predominately white, upper middle class area with almost no association to my more "ethnic" roots (beyond my skin color, sense of timing, and retired general of an uncle who needs to move a large sum of money via western union who just needs a little bit of help)
              Speaking as a mail server admin (who gets far too much mail from your uncle) and a guy with no "sense of timing", I so hope somebody gave you rep for that. ;)
              Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Perhaps somebody can link to a video clip of the newscaster that was reporting on a story in France (the riots from a few years back, I believe) and called the black people "African-Americans".

Political correctness is helping to destroy our society. Labels that describe someone are fine. Labels that stereotype or paint someone a certain way are not. Unfortunately, often there is no line that divides those two types of labels, only a difference in intent.
                Become a supporting member!
                Buy a Tactical Duck!
                Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                X