X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A silver lining

I just bought gas for 1.95 a gallon!

Who said financial crisis is all bad?
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: A silver lining

It's still $3/gal here!
    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Yeah, you've gotta love the falling gas prices. The one thing that's bugging me about it around here though is I'm pretty sure the stations here in Colorado Springs are kind of screwing us. For as long I've been driving here, twenty years, gas in the mountains has averaged between $0.50 to $1.00 more per gallon than here on the front range. I just drove most of the way to Utah and back yesterday, and the prices in Breckenridge, Vail, Glenwood Springs, etc. were only slightly higher than back here. Heck, in Woodland Park, which is about 20 miles up the pass from Colorado Springs, prices were almost $0.50 LESS per gallon than here. It was $2.06 for the lowest grade when I drove through there last night.
      |TG-55| Infantry Division - Former Captain

Comment

Originally posted by BigMcLarge View Post
        Yeah, you've gotta love the falling gas prices. The one thing that's bugging me about it around here though is I'm pretty sure the stations here in Colorado Springs are kind of screwing us. For as long I've been driving here, twenty years, gas in the mountains has averaged between $0.50 to $1.00 more per gallon than here on the front range. I just drove most of the way to Utah and back yesterday, and the prices in Breckenridge, Vail, Glenwood Springs, etc. were only slightly higher than back here. Heck, in Woodland Park, which is about 20 miles up the pass from Colorado Springs, prices were almost $0.50 LESS per gallon than here. It was $2.06 for the lowest grade when I drove through there last night.
        Many factors play a role in pricing. Basically they charge what they can get.

Where I live gas prices vary by as much as 30 cents a gallon within a matter of miles. In the poorer sections of town it is cheaper than the wealthier sections (usually). The funny thing is sometimes the poorer sections are just a half block away so you can see 3.10/gal at "poor" shell stations and 3.30 at "wealthy" shell station in the same view. I asked a guy why and he said all he does is get a message from the head office on what to charge. The funny thing is that the station with the more expensive gas doesn't seem to be affected that much!

I am sure there is some mapping/geographical/mathematical model they use to determine pricing.
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I paid $1.95 for my last fillup and loved it. And yeah, I see that geographical pricing thing pretty starkly here too. I commute 20 or so miles to work, and the prices near my work are some 30 cents cheaper than the prices near my house on a regular basis. On a good day the margin might shrink as low as 15 cents, but that's rare.

Comment

I filled up for $2.94/gal (87 octane / regular unleaded) last night.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

I'd rather have the ~$16,000 I've lost so far in the stock market back.

Comment

Originally posted by AMosely View Post
                I'd rather have the ~$16,000 I've lost so far in the stock market back.
                All I said was "silver lining". ;)

Comment

Falling gas prices means more oil usage, so if global warming is real, this just set us back on the path to perdition.

Prices in California have been about 50 cents to a dollar higher than elsewhere. We're seeing the fall in price but it's still pretty high. Curiously, we also have lots of refineries. I live right in the middle of three big ones.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                    Falling gas prices means more oil usage, so if global warming is real, this just set us back on the path to perdition.
                    I thought falling prices meant falling demand thus decreased use?

But falling prices do mean less urgency to find alternatives and that doesn't help global warming, if fossil fuel use actually leads to that.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                      Its cyclical.

--Pre-existing high demand a few years ago led to the extra high prices we've been seeing up until recently
                      --Those high prices, along with other factors, led to a sharp reduction in demand this last year
                      --That reduced demand led to the reduced prices we see now
                      --The lower prices we see now will help push demand back up some, but it will probably take some time to return to the highs we saw before the price spike

Comment

Bought gas the past couple days for $2.25-$2.35 up here.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                          Prices are signals, a kind of information that communicates resource demand and availability. They work like motor control voltages in a servo system. (And just like in a servo, they're subject to "noise" and lag effects, which are Bad Things.) Falling prices result from falling demand, but they also cause rising demand.

The cyclic action is exactly what you see in a servo.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

$2.15 a block away from my house. Thats down from $2.35 on halloween. At this rate, we'll be back to the prices I was paying for gas in high school in a month or so (ah the days of $0.91/gal).

Comment

It's wild for me to think about the fact that I paid something like $3.65 a gallon when I moved a month ago, and now back in the Detroit Metro, I rolled up the gas station a couple days ago and paid $2.15.

Nuts.
                              "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                              Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X