Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Global Warming, Cooling & Climate Change: Is it the Govt's Job?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming, Cooling & Climate Change: Is it the Govt's Job?

No.

Re: Global Warming, Cooling & Climate Change: Is it the Govt's Job?

Yep, as custodians of our security, it is one of the governments responsibilities to ensure that the environment we live in is conducive to life, liberty and our pursuit of happiness. When dealing with a potential issue as large as climate change, that means I want them on point in creating more environmentally sound industry, transport and other things. I also want them making sure other nations around the world are following our lead. For the record, I'd rather they spent my money on this than on dropping bombs, but that's just me.
    Do or do not, there is no try....
    -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

What if they are dropping bombs on non-clean coal plants? J/k

Comment

The whole 'climate change' debate hinges on whether or not Humans are the cause.

If they are not then there is NO way you can control the climate. Sure you can change it but it'll just change back. Mother Nature.

Comment

This is true, and I think there is enough evidence to say we are having an impact, but I agree that the debate has not been settled yet. However, cleaner technologies, in general, will be more efficient, create jobs, and generally be better for health overall. How is at least safeguarding against the possibility it is us not a win-win?
          Do or do not, there is no try....
          -- Yoda, Dagobah

Comment

The function of government should be to internalize externalities.
            Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Yes, the government is responsible for dealing with climate change.
              They are responsible for protecting the citizens and climate change will affect the citizens.

BUT ..........................
              Where is the proof that subsidizing an industry the public DOESN'T want will create job ?
              Why do you think the price of oil has tanked, just like the last time the government starting talking about "alternative" fuel sources ?

Humans have an impact on anything they do but the global warming THEORY advocates told us in no uncertain terms that CO2 causes warming and to the best of my limited knowledge, CO2 has risen and the temp has dropped.
              That would make the theory a failure.............in scientific terms.
              But if you approach global warming as a religion, as many on the left do with their causes, then you get the same vague answers the religious have been giving us for 2000 years.
              IMHO that leads to the violence also associated with religions.
              Google " carbon criminal"(KarbonCriminal!) and take a look at what the hard-core element of the GWT crowd is saying, it sounds a lot like a pogrom to me.

You think having RFK Jr run the EPA means we will get a rational policy concerning pollution ?

And extrapolate what will happen if we pass laws against CO2 and link that to the fate of the planet.
              At some point nations like India and Communist China will have to be forced to obey those same laws won't they ? Since they produce enormous amounts of CO as well as many other pollutants and have nothing like an EPA to regulate them.
              It means in the long run we will have wars to enforce climate change laws, big , very big wars because you are telling people in developing nations that they must remain at a lower level of industrialization and a lower standard of living.
              I don't think that notion will fly in many nations if any.

Comment

Originally posted by KomradeObama View Post
                You think having RFK Jr run the EPA means we will get a rational policy concerning pollution ?
                He equates those that don't believe in global warming to Holocaust deniers!

At some point nations like India and Communist China will have to be forced to obey those same laws won't they ?
                No. Why do you think China pushes hard for countries like the US to sign the Kyoto Protocol? Because they are exempt from it and all it will do is handicap us by TAXING us to death, while giving them the free range to do whatever they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Global.Cooling View Post
                  He equates those that don't believe in global warming to Holocaust deniers!

No. Why do you think China pushes hard for countries like the US to sign the Kyoto Protocol? Because they are exempt from it and all it will do is handicap us by TAXING us to death, while giving them the free range to do whatever they want.
                  Given your level of debt they already own you. Now the question is do you want them to own a healthy you or an unhealthy you?

Comment

It is everyone's job - every government, every company, every organization, every family, every person. And it's not just about climate change or saving on your energy bill - it's constantly striving to be more efficient and sustainable with resources, consumption and waste. In every case, the costs outweigh the benefits.

Comment

The whole 'climate change' debate hinges on whether or not Humans are the cause.

If they are not then there is NO way you can control the climate. Sure you can change it but it'll just change back. Mother Nature.
                      On the one hand, nobody can argue that lower pollution, more plentiful resources, and alternate energy is going to do anything terrible either.

Comment

After reviewing some 'science' I've decided to drink the kool-aid.

Here are my top 500+ projects we need to work on:
                        http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm

If we don't tackle all of these soon the devastation will be overwhelming! Oh the humanity!

Comment

Originally posted by KomradeObama View Post
                          Where is the proof that subsidizing an industry the public DOESN'T want will create job ?
                          Why do you think the price of oil has tanked, just like the last time the government starting talking about "alternative" fuel sources ?
                          The price of oil has tanked because of the impending VERY deep world wide recession we're in the beginning stages of.

The alternative fuels are 30 - 40 years away from denting oil's dominance as a supply of fuel. They should begin asap, but will not affect the consumption of oil for years yet.

If/When the world's economy comes back, we'll see the price of oil rise with it, providing a natural headwind to any economic expansion.

There are some interesting findings lately on Fungi which naturally produce the right mix of chemicals which are the elementary components of Diesel fuel. This would be very exciting if they can get it to mass production. A natural way of producing renewable fuel we currently consume. If we could reproduce the optimum conditions to grow this fungus in quanitity, then you would see oil's price tank for good.

Diesel Fungus

42nd Recon

***FORMER*** 9th Mobile Infantry Detachment - Spearheads -- BY ANY MEANS --

Without Darkness, How Could We Measure The Light?

Damnit, I am not a hobbit!

Comment

Originally posted by komradeobama
                            Being "green" and such is great, but if alternative energy isn't cost effective, people won't move to implement it. I don't believe it is the government's job to force alternative energy on the people, but why not let market forces take a swing at it? For example, a hybrid car will cost more in the beginning, but when people realize that it will save them in the long run, that is when they decide to buy with being green as an additional benefit.

With the price of oil and gas dropping at the moment, people have no incentive to change because it will be more expensive. While when oil was selling at record highs, people began to second think their SUV and their habits.

Comment

After reviewing some 'science' I've decided to drink the kool-aid.

Here are my top 500+ projects we need to work on:
                              http://www.numberwatch.co.uk/warmlist.htm

If we don't tackle all of these soon the devastation will be overwhelming! Oh the humanity!
                              Oh, man, that is fantastic!
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X