No announcement yet.

Buck us a little more, Fush

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buck us a little more, Fush

Instead of dilligently working on one of the biggest global economic problems in history and a severe American recession, the White House is dilligently throwing down industry- and special-insterest-favoring legislation, following the usual brazen practices of damning public dissent or even a hint of compromise. I have one question - why.

Pulling the tops off of mountains devastates entire ecosystems and the communities they support. Why give even more green lights for the wasted destruction of Appalachia? Is this absolutely necessary as part of America's quest for energy independence? Where is the last minute legislation for wind farms, solar research, or tax incentives and rebates for home energy efficiency - things that would both create jobs and fuel the economy. Is it that important to mine uranium in one of America's most treasured geographical features, the Grand Canyon, or pollute some of America's most pristine parklands? Show me, or at least my representatives, the math and the logic behind these decisions.

How about ignoring provisions of the Homeland Security Act which require oversight by a privacy officer tasked with ensuring the privacy of American citizens without review or editing by the White House? Something tells me these people won't even come clean by the court-ordered date of November 18. If they need to know what we are all hiding, why can't we know what they are hiding? Since when is transparency so dangerous?

How about shutting down Guantanamo Bay - a move supported by pretty much everyone in Washington including Defense Secretary Gates, Secretary of State Rice and even Bush himself - everyone except - guess who - Dick Cheney and Alberto Gonzales. You arrogant, scared little bastards.

Will Americans who want to know why be given an answer? I know better than to even ask. Good presidents not only strive to serve both the public and national interest, they communicate the reasons behind their decisions. This man's administration has done neither.

The proposals include changes to the Endangered Species Act, new management plans for 11 million acres in Utah, an effort to revoke congressional committees’ emergency powers to protect public lands, and a rule change for mountaintop mining regulations.

President Bush’s aides have been scrambling to change rules and regulations on the environment, civil liberties and abortion rights, among others — few for the good. Most presidents put on a last-minute policy stamp, but in Mr. Bush’s case it is more like a wrecking ball.

Apparently without consulting the National Parks Service, one of its sister agencies at the Interior Department, the bureau plans to auction more than two dozen leases adjacent to Arches National Park and very close to Canyonlands National Park, risking the parks’ air and water.

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Twitter Feed