Gun purchasing thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gun purchasing thread

I called a couple of my shops today and they got no AR15s or any style like that in stock and cant get any in for a couple weeks. Me and my dad are going up to cabelas on monday to see what we can get. I need some ammo and maybe a new 308 rifle.
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: Your biggest fear for the new POTUS-Elect?

I'm considering buying an AR15 on credit. Most of you know how anti-credit card I am, so you can tell that I think this is serious... I've got several buddies that have FFLs, so I'll be ordering directly from the manufacturer. I'm planning on getting a Rock River Arms Entry Tactical (with a free floating quad rail). I think I'm also going to buy an off brand stripped lower to build a second rifle over time...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Any particular reason you're going for the carbine length gas system instead of a mid-length one (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...egory_id=224)? I'm no expert, but I think the mid-length was developed due to reliability problems of the shorter gas system. If anything, they're the same overall length and you'll get a longer sight radius. Make sure to opt for chrome lining too.

I've got a Remington R-15 and my gf is looking at Rock River Arms for her own.

Comment

Originally posted by sordavie View Post
        Any particular reason you're going for the carbine length gas system instead of a mid-length one (http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=224)?
        Yes. I'm tossing around the idea of ponying up the $200 to turn it into a short barreled rifle. An 11 inch barrel would make it much more convenient for plinking, taking in a vehicle and other "tactical" uses. Wouldn't be worth a damn over a hundred yards, but that's what my second rifle is for. I want my other rifle to be a High Power Rifle competition setup, similar to the RRA NM A2.

How do you like your Remington? I didn't even know they made an AR15...
        Buy a Tactical Duck!
        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

Rock River arms are some nice rifles. Another one to look at is the S&W XM15. They are basically bushmaster parts that are cleaned up and custom fitted to each rifle. Very nice guns.
          -Vulcan

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
            Yes. I'm tossing around the idea of ponying up the $200 to turn it into a short barreled rifle. An 11 inch barrel would make it much more convenient for plinking, taking in a vehicle and other "tactical" uses. Wouldn't be worth a damn over a hundred yards, but that's what my second rifle is for. I want my other rifle to be a High Power Rifle competition setup, similar to the RRA NM A2.

How do you like your Remington? I didn't even know they made an AR15...
            Ah, I see. Would that be a permanent modification, or is it a deal where you can switch the barrels around? I suppose another way you could go is to get a complete upper with an 11" barrel to swap in and out. Credit cards aren't so bad if you have good financial self-control.

The R-15 is a nice gun. It's a bit lighter than other AR-15s I've handled, even ones with 16" barrels. That's due to a medium/lightweight fluted barrel. From what I understand, Remington leaned on Bushmaster heavily for development and production of the line. We'll probably go with an RRA with a heavy weight 16" barrel for the gf.

Comment

Re: Gun purchasing thread

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
              I called a couple of my shops today and they got no AR15s or any style like that in stock and cant get any in for a couple weeks. Me and my dad are going up to cabelas on monday to see what we can get. I need some ammo and maybe a new 308 rifle.
              Split this from the POTUS-fear thread. All off topic there, but happily on-topic together!
              [volun2]
              NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
              Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
              <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
              <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

Ah, I see. Would that be a permanent modification, or is it a deal where you can switch the barrels around? I suppose another way you could go is to get a complete upper with an 11" barrel to swap in and out. Credit cards aren't so bad if you have good financial self-control.
                Credit cards, in general, are bad for the consumer, regardless of self control. (Unless that self control includes not using them!)

Well, the paperwork with the ATF would turn that serial numbered rifle into a "short barreled rifle". I suppose you could put standard length uppers on that lower receiver, but it would be a felony to put that short upper receiver on any other lower receiver (that wasn't also registered as a SBR...).

Since I want a rifle for competition, which has to have an A2 stock and a standard grip, it makes sense just to have two complete rifles for the two purposes. The modular nature of the AR, and the ability to just buy another upper to change the purpose of the rifle is one of the many reasons why I like this platform, though!

Oh, and you can't go wrong with a basic AR with HBAR. The Armed Forces have been using 'em for decades and are upgrading them instead of going with another system, so something must be right with this design.
                Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

so i just recieved my ammo shipment into today. Ive got 800 rounds of .357 assorted JHP and FMJ. And around 500 rounds of .38specials. Id say im doing pretty good. That doesnt compare to my dads ammo cache.
                  -Vulcan

Comment

How much did that cost? I just got 500 rounds of .223 for about $200. I'm still trying to decide if that was a good deal...

Comment

How much did that cost? I just got 500 rounds of .223 for about $200. I'm still trying to decide if that was a good deal...
                      With no shipping, if it's good ammo, it might be a decent deal. Here's where I check for the best deals:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...313837&page=34

http://gun-deals.com/ammo.php?caliber=.223
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

I get my ammo from ammoman.com, very basic website but they have the best prices I have been able to find. I got 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for like $200 shipped. They also have free shipping on all their ammo I think.

Comment

wow I just looked again and prices have gone up $49

Comment

Originally posted by MrShawn305 View Post
                            I get my ammo from ammoman.com, very basic website but they have the best prices I have been able to find. I got 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 for like $200 shipped. They also have free shipping on all their ammo I think.
                            I've heard good things about ammoman.com.
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Originally posted by MrShawn305 View Post
                              I get my ammo from ammoman.com
                              I just got my order from the AMMOMAN myself. He is very good.

$3,000 and 300 lbs worth, assorted 5.56, 7.62, 45ACP, .22LR etc. etc.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X