Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15 year old COD4 gamer dies

CNET story here.

Crisp, according to his father and others, was hooked on the online game Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, which led to concern that he may have run off to join fellow gamers.
    It sounds like he got lost in the woods.

The comments to the article are interesting. So many parenting experts.

Re: 15 year old COD4 gamer dies

Barrie, Ontario? Holy crap that's where Stark lives
    "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
    Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Re: 15 year old COD4 gamer dies

Sad story indeed, this happend about 30 minutes from where I live.

You kind of started getting the feeling like it wasn't going to end well as a week or more went buy with no evidence or contact.

Sad to hear, my condolances to the Crisp Family and friends.

Comment

15 year old boy dies of CoD4

This was like a big slap in the face to me. Some might not care, but this happend only 30 minutes from me. A teen, my age, ran away from home after his parents took his Xbox away. They found him recently, he climbed a tree, fell off and died of exposure and a injury he aquired in his fall.

Here are some articles, its quite tragic.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/531082 - Read this one

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=199856

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/26/on...-cod4-player/2

I've read about 5 articles on the topic and all of them say how gamers get so attached to the game they go into withdrawl and depression. Which, I know doesn't happen to me when I go for a few weeks or a month without the computer. When I see that, it makes me cringe. But, what are your feelings. Do the media understand what games really do ot us. Now, TG is a community that I fully support, but, in an article in my local newspaper it said "Brandon was a part of an online 'clan' and a so called gaming 'community', much like a cult", this made me angry. Meeting people from all over the world and getting to know them is truly amazing, not something that should be looked apon as cult-like behavior.

Some of you might not care, but this is something that I found shocking as it has occured so close to home for me.
        |TG|
        ||||

Comment

Re: 15 year old boy dies of CoD4

pretty soon video games will be illegal like everything else fun thats fun.

The art of war is simple enough. Find out where your enemy is. Get at him as soon as you can. Strike him as hard as you can, and keep moving on.-Ulysses S. Grant

BF2142-|TG-Irr| Steezer

CSS- Blood|TG-Irr|

Comment

[sigh]

Shows he wasn't mature enough to be playing the game (running away from home because his parents took away his xbox)..............there is a reason it's rated M for Mature.
            Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
            Level II Volunteer FireFighter
            Level I HazMat Technician
            NYS EMT-B
            Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
            RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
            Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
            Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
            We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

He ran away because he had something he cared about taken away, if he was into guitar and they took that away and he ran away and died would the thread be titled 'boy dies from playing guitar'?
              |TG-6th|Snooggums

Just because everyone does something does not mean that it is right to do.

Comment

Originally posted by snooggums View Post
                He ran away because he had something he cared about taken away, if he was into guitar and they took that away and he ran away and died would the thread be titled 'boy dies from playing guitar'?
                very good point

I'm not saying I think CoD4 killed him. I'm simply stating the title of the article.

My opinion is much like Randy's, maturity and self control are the things lacking here.
                |TG|
                ||||

Comment

misleading thread title ftl.

POE2 Developer

Comment

What a n00b.

Comment

Poor kid, this is interesting because my cousin just told me about this.
                      Can't help but feel bad for the kid although he was a bit, mislead, confused?
                      Cant find the word im looking for...

Comment

Bat**** loco?

Comment

sensationalist
                          "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                          Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Terrible thread title. I'm near enough the story to be sick of hearing about it, nevermind the crap the newsmedia tries to attach to this story regarding games. I except better from a TG member.

Comment

Nevermind that the thread title is geared to get a view.

If the boy had run away and come back two days later, it would not have been in the news. He decided to climb a tree, may have fallen asleep or fallen, and died as a result. He died of tree-climbing, not gaming.

Was he too attached to his Xbox? Maybe, but there are far more variables than a polarizing yes-no question can address. What were his relationships with his family members, at school,etc? I ran away from home a couple of times--never for more than 24 hours, but enough to scare my parents and pretend to myself I was on my own...and I didn't do anything stupid like try to sleep in a tree in inclement weather.

Next point: are online communities a cult? Of course not. Few are as well-balanced as ours, many are fairly dysfunctional or at least just a loose affiliation of gamers, but to be a cult, coercion, psychological abuse and a tightly-controlled group dynamic must be established. Some clans are quite cultish in their behavior, actually, and the reasons they end up like this are as myriad as the reasons they exist offline. Only socially retarded or inexperienced people would fall victim to such a cult, because unlike a RL cult, participants are not physically restricted, or unable to get away, nor are they subject to the privations that lead to a malleable psyche.

Finally: is computer or gaming addiction a real phenomena, and can it cause all the symptoms of addiction, such as withdrawal, compulsive lying and anti-social behaviors? Evidence is building fast towards a definitive "yes" on that one. This does not mean that everyone who plays games regularly is a gaming addict, any more than drinking beer regularly means one is an alcoholic. For certain individuals with particular physical and mental traits, there is a heightened risk for addictive behavior when a trigger activity or substance is encountered.

Everytime a teen dies who is a gamer, there is some article somewhere blaming the game or the gamer culture, or making a claim that can't be proven about the effect of games on society. And the rebuttals from gaming publications and blogs saying there is no bad eefect from gaming and computer games on society. Both are lame attempts to push an agenda using a polarizing topic. This type of journalism is the sort of pablum that is capable of convincing only those with little capacity for critical thinking or rhetorical argument. I'll leave it to someone much more suited for it--like Sordavie or Cing--to elaborate on the fallacies assumed by the article's conclusions. To nullify much of the argument presented, little more than separation of fact from opinion is necessary. A deplorable piece of "journalism", and at best a ham-fisted attempt to push an agenda, and capitalise on a family's tragedy.
                              Last edited by Axis of Eeevil; 11-12-2008, 02:59 AM.
                              sigpic

Living proof that "Teamplay ensmartens the idiotest of us!"

"

| | | | |

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...