Tiny Homes, Good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tiny Homes, Good?

I was daydreaming about my future home I would like to buy and own when I found this, Absurdly Cheap and Crowded Houses, through a Google search.

I see people doing something like this out of cost reduction (property taxes here are killer due to the possible 2016 Olympics), mobility, and carbon and ecological footprint.

The looks of some of these does appeal to me and I think it would be kind of cozy in the winter. :)

Would you guys consider one of these homes? Pros and cons in your eyes?
    |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
    TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
    Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
    Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Re: Tiny Homes, Good?

I think they are sweet! The smaller your home, the less you have to clean up! :D

Really though, I think the "Micro-compact" homes are badass!

I would buy one because I like the concept, not because of "Carb0n fewtpryntz" or anything like that. I guess that would be an added bonus...
    |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

I always liked the idea of living in denser housing and whatnot. But... not THAT kind of dense housing.

At one point I lived right next to downtown San Jose... like... a quarter mile from the Shark Tank. -but found it to be incredibly noisy and busy, and I guess you just can't take the suburbanite out of me.

As living in the country, as I also did once, was nice in a lot of respects... but I felt very disconnected. Perhaps in 30 or so years I'd consider it.

I DO like smaller housing though, and many older homes (built between the 30s and 50s) because I don't need, want, or require a large home. Perhaps not as small as the article outlines, though.
      "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
      Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

I think I have seen Dog and children's play houses bigger than a few of those.

The micro is only ~150sq/ft? 10x15'? Seriously I think the novelty would wear off pretty quick - My bedroom is bigger than that and I couldn't imagine solely living in my bedroom.

Ecofriendly could be to revive/repurpose something existing.. Perhaps a micro-home on top of this... Hrmm.. I'm liking that..
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
          I think I have seen Dog and children's play houses bigger than a few of those.

The micro is only ~150sq/ft? 10x15'? Seriously I think the novelty would wear off pretty quick - My bedroom is bigger than that and I couldn't imagine solely living in my bedroom.

Ecofriendly could be to revive/repurpose something existing.. Perhaps a micro-home on top of this... Hrmm.. I'm liking that..
          Unfortunately not all of us have 15 million dollars to spend on our own personal version of a Vault :p

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium - 235 View Post
            Unfortunately not all of us have 15 million dollars to spend on our own personal version of a Vault :p
            Exactly what I was thinking -235. Exactly what I was thinking. Still, who doesn't want to have their own personal Vault when the nuclear apocalypse comes and passes. Watch the ghouls please.
            |TG-Irr|Adaxa
            Active in: BF2142, Project Reality

Comment

A smaller house means more room for workshops, sheds, forge equipment, and other evil villain supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post

That's almost twice the size of my bedroom. Mines is only 6' (W) x 7.5' (L). I was thinking 250-300 sq. feet would suffice for myself (as long as I'm single). It would be enough for a "regular" sized bedroom (like this one) and small kitchenette, small stove, and small fridge. Maybe even a small living room with a big screen. :)
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post

That's almost twice the size of my bedroom. Mines is only 6' (W) x 7.5' (L). I was thinking 250-300 sq. feet would suffice for myself (as long as I'm single). It would be enough for a "regular" sized bedroom (like this one) and small kitchenette, small stove, and small fridge. Maybe even a small living room with a big screen. :)
                  What? My bed has almost those dimensions. It would fill up like 75% of your floor space.

Comment

There are apartments up here that are less than 150 sqft. One very small bathroom with a square stall shower, then a single open room where the kitchenette is basically one wall. Big screen is doable if you wall mount it.

they go for about $300/mo, and I'd never want to live in one.
                    a.k.a. NinjaPirateAssassin
                    Celibacy is not Hereditary.
                    Everybody should believe in something - I believe I'll have another drink.
                    Happiness is like wetting your pants, everyone can see it but only you can feel the warmth.
                    Flying is easy, Just throw yourself at the ground and miss!

Comment

That's almost twice the size of my bedroom. Mines is only 6' (W) x 7.5' (L).
                      You can only fit a bed in your room one way!?!! Even in military barracks, I never lived in a room that small. I've never seen anyone live in a room that small. Busting down doors in the projects in Dallas, I've never seen a bedroom that small. I don't say this to demean you, but surely you've made a mistake in reporting the dimensions of your room, especially when you call it "regular sized".
                      Become a supporting member!
                      Buy a Tactical Duck!
                      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                      TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I think a 6' x 7' bedroom is normal.....in the Shire. While a Hobbit might enjoy those accomadations, I myself would only be able to lay down in one direction in a room that size being 6' 7". I guess the question is, is a bedroom only for a bed?
                        |TG-12th| Sawviper

Comment

Where does he sleep? Who says he sleeps? Where does he... EVERYWHERE!

Comment

Me and my two brothers shared a 9x7.5 bedroom for a time. Yes, it was a bit cramped.

My mother uses it for the computer room now. It barely contains a chair, a chest of drawers and the computer desk. Every time I go home I wonder how we fit.

That room was a converted porch. The original house was 24'x26'. From what I was told it was a farm house where a family of 6 or seven lived.

The first house we lived in was less than 600 sq feat.

In fact many of the houses out in the country started out very small and where slowly added to as time went on. Most where two room affairs and an outhouse. They existed in that fashion as late as the 1960's and 70's.

Even more funny is the additions. They where built by farmers. One house had a bedroom that you had to go through a closet to get to. In another one the extra bedroom could only be accessed by going through the bathroom or the other bedroom.

One had a sleeping loft that was about 5 feet tall at its tallest point. Four feet wide and maybe 8 feet deep. Three kids slept up there at one time.

Tiny homes are actually pretty common in a historical sense.
                            Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                            - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                            - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                            - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                            - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                            - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                            - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                              Tiny homes are actually pretty common in a historical sense.
                              Oh, that's for sure. I just have a difficult time wrapping my mind around the fact that someone that participates in this community lives in a room that small now.
                              Become a supporting member!
                              Buy a Tactical Duck!
                              Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                              TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X