Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live Piracy Map

Check this out - Piracy Map

It notes attempts, Boarding, and Hijacks by pirates around the work. Of course there is all of the activity around Somalia, but check out the events in Asian waters :icon_eek:
    sigpic

Re: Live Piracy Map

Yarr!

Interesting to still see stuff in Europe...
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Scary that so much money can be controlled by so few fighters.

Comment

So I wonder when Tankers will be allowed to carry their own crew of Merc fighters who are armed to the teeth, and can help defend these tankers from all these little punk Somalis. Come to think about it, are they currently allowed to? I haven't the foggiest.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

I think there is a show on History "Shadow Force" that leans in that direction.
          sigpic

Comment

Africa = pirate haven.
            |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
            TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
            Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
            Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Yarr!!!

POE2 Developer

Comment

I wanna be a pirate!

But not the real kind.. more like the Disney kind.
                sigpic

Comment

Those Pirates ain't got nothing on Sir Francis Drake.

Comment

This is why I hate Somalia, Somalians, and everything about it. They're a bunch of savages. After the whole Black Hawk Down event, I've really despised that country. I have friends that were shot at over there. Can't we just nuke that country already? It would sure save the world a lot of trouble. We could all go on about our business and not a soul would miss 'em.

Heck, even President Clinton (with his bleeding heart) said (a la Cartman), "Screw you guys. We're going home." We were there to provide protection for food and aid, and what did we get? Our soldiers getting drug through the streets. Oh yeah, did I mention that I hate Somalia?
                    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                      This is why I hate Somalia, Somalians, and everything about it. They're a bunch of savages. After the whole Black Hawk Down event, I've really despised that country. I have friends that were shot at over there. Can't we just nuke that country already? It would sure save the world a lot of trouble. We could all go on about our business and not a soul would miss 'em.

Heck, even President Clinton (with his bleeding heart) said (a la Cartman), "Screw you guys. We're going home." We were there to provide protection for food and aid, and what did we get? Our soldiers getting drug through the streets. Oh yeah, did I mention that I hate Somalia?
                      Hopefuls like to cling on and hope there is one good person in the whole den of misfits and devils. :)
                      |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                      TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                      Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                      Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                        So I wonder when Tankers will be allowed to carry their own crew of Merc fighters who are armed to the teeth, and can help defend these tankers from all these little punk Somalis. Come to think about it, are they currently allowed to? I haven't the foggiest.
                        This is what I've been wondering, but the media never addresses. It's clear the oceans are too vast to adequately protect every commercial vessel, and the military isn't allowed to act unless it is in response to an attack, so why don't the cargo ships carry adequate defenses? Really, how hard is it to take out a small boat with a mounted MG? The extra expense would be nothing compared to the ransoms being paid.
                        |TG|Melee
                        Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Look, dudes, Somalia drew a **** hand. What happened during Restore Hope wasn't the Somali people as a whole, it was a bunch of jackass warlords who were running Mogadishu. These people have been stuck in a civil war for something like twenty years, they've been invaded by Ethiopia a few times, and every time anyone has tried to put together a central government since the 90's it's either failed miserably or been used to exploit all the other clans at the expense of the ruling clan and then failed miserably.

It's not even really right to think of it as a country. There are tons of different groups of people that really don't want anything to do with each other inside the borders of what everyone else calls Somalia. Most people there belong to a clan, and the clan is the really important thing, not the country. So when one clan wants does something, it's just them doing it, not the country as a whole. Most of the place is run by warlords and militias who mostly just fight for their clan's interests and to hell with everyone else. And of course the civilians on the street have to deal with armed jackasses running all over the place, robbing people, bombing things, blowing stuff up, and since they've got all the guns there isn't a lot that can be done to stop them. There isn't anyone in power to stop them, though the Ethiopians invade every so often. But the Ethiopians are Christians and the Somalis are mostly Muslim, and they don't like each other at all, so they mostly just make everything worse.

Basically, there is a complete breakdown of civil order and rule of law, armed gangs are squabbling over little patches of territory, and the international community mostly just makes it worse by not understanding what's going on in the street.

Piracy works because it's a really, really easy way to make unbelievable amounts of money. All you need is some boats, some guns, some radios, and some guys who are willing to risk tangling with modern navy warships while riding in a Zodiac. These guys can make millions of dollars, which pretty much makes them into little kings. And the thing is, that's the only way they can make millions of dollars, and for a lot of them it's the only way to make any money at all. There aren't really a lot of other options except farming or something. It's not like they can get a real job and expect to work their way up in a company. Think of the pirates as being like celebrities or something. They do dangerous work and get paid a ton, so it's seen as this great way to lift yourself up out of miserable poverty.

That said, I don't get why merchants don't hire a dozen marines to guard the boats. If you can scare these guys off with LRAD and fire hoses you could sure as hell get rid of them with a dozen armored marines with machine guns and assault rifles. And with the value of a lot of these ships, taking on another ten or twenty crew and stocking up on some small arms isn't going to cut into profit margins. For that matter, you could probably get mercenaries to do reprisal raids on the coast ports that the pirates launch from, torch everything on the water front and have done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
                            Look, dudes, Somalia drew a crappy hand.
                            No, Somalia has chosen a crappy way of life. It's a rotten, rotten country and it's going to take a major event or a long time for that to ever change.
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
                              For that matter, you could probably get mercenaries to do reprisal raids on the coast ports that the pirates launch from, torch everything on the water front and have done with it.
                              Don't forget the 'mother ships' they also launch from for raids further off shore (the oil tanker they nabbed last week was 450 miles off shore). The navy can't touch them unless they can prove a connection, but some 'concerned citizens' could...

Or maybe a couple of torpedos from an unseen submarine...
                              |TG|Melee
                              Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...