Bush - Where's the Love?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush - Where's the Love?

Can someone versed in diplomatic protocol tell me what the heck is going on here.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Y_ncOVlDw[/media]

Re: Bush - Where's the Love?

Maybe he had a cold, so he and everyone else was told not to shake hands with him. Kind of sad, though. I realize he isn't the most popular president ever, but I still have an enormous amount of respect for him and wish his terms had gone more in his favor. I met him once when he was the governor of Texas, and he was really an awesome person to meet. Hopefully I'll have the chance to meet him again someday. I'll gladly shake his hand.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by WSJ
      The Treatment of Bush Has Been a Disgrace
      What must our enemies be thinking?
      By JEFFREY SCOTT SHAPIRO

Earlier this year, 12,000 people in San Francisco signed a petition in support of a proposition on a local ballot to rename an Oceanside sewage plant after George W. Bush. The proposition is only one example of the classless disrespect many Americans have shown the president.

According to recent Gallup polls, the president's average approval rating is below 30% -- down from his 90% approval in the wake of 9/11. Mr. Bush has endured relentless attacks from the left while facing abandonment from the right.

This is the price Mr. Bush is paying for trying to work with both Democrats and Republicans. During his 2004 victory speech, the president reached out to voters who supported his opponent, John Kerry, and said, "Today, I want to speak to every person who voted for my opponent. To make this nation stronger and better, I will need your support, and I will work to earn it. I will do all I can do to deserve your trust."

Those bipartisan efforts have been met with crushing resistance from both political parties.
      The president's original Supreme Court choice of Harriet Miers alarmed Republicans, while his final nomination of Samuel Alito angered Democrats. His solutions to reform the immigration system alienated traditional conservatives, while his refusal to retreat in Iraq has enraged liberals who have unrealistic expectations about the challenges we face there.

It seems that no matter what Mr. Bush does, he is blamed for everything. He remains despised by the left while continuously disappointing the right.

Yet it should seem obvious that many of our country's current problems either existed long before Mr. Bush ever came to office, or are beyond his control. Perhaps if Americans stopped being so divisive, and congressional leaders came together to work with the president on some of these problems, he would actually have had a fighting chance of solving them.

Like the president said in his 2004 victory speech, "We have one country, one Constitution and one future that binds us. And when we come together and work together, there is no limit to the greatness of America."

To be sure, Mr. Bush is not completely alone. His low approval ratings put him in the good company of former Democratic President Harry S. Truman, whose own approval rating sank to 22% shortly before he left office. Despite Mr. Truman's low numbers, a 2005 Wall Street Journal poll found that he was ranked the seventh most popular president in history.
      Just as Americans have gained perspective on how challenging Truman's presidency was in the wake of World War II, our country will recognize the hardship President Bush faced these past eight years -- and how extraordinary it was that he accomplished what he did in the wake of the September 11 attacks.

The treatment President Bush has received from this country is nothing less than a disgrace. The attacks launched against him have been cruel and slanderous, proving to the world what little character and resolve we have. The president is not to blame for all these problems. He never lost faith in America or her people, and has tried his hardest to continue leading our nation during a very difficult time.

Our failure to stand by the one person who continued to stand by us has not gone unnoticed by our enemies. It has shown to the world how disloyal we can be when our president needed loyalty -- a shameful display of arrogance and weakness that will haunt this nation long after Mr. Bush has left the White House.

Mr. Shapiro is an investigative reporter and lawyer who previously interned with John F. Kerry's legal team during the presidential election in 2004.
      http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122584386627599251.html
      An interesting piece I read the other day. Thoughts?

Even though I may totally disagree with Obama's politics, he is still my Commander-in-Chief.

Comment

I don't see why we must give automatic respect to the president. He is not nobility nor does he have any divine authority. He is just an American doing a job.

If you think somebody sucks at doing a political job why do you have to give them any respect? In fact I think giving respect to somebody you don't feel deserves it in politics just because they hold a position of power is anti-American.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I say he figured out the G8 Summit doesn't do squat.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

This is pretty astounding. I hadn't seen this before. Wow. I'm fairly certain that his dying presidency is what's behind it - they seem to regard him as a past leader already, which despite their enthusiasm for an American leader who actually might listen to others, is disrespectful.

Talk about a statement though. I won't say he deserves it, but his foreign policy was and continues to be obnoxiously self centered. He's done little to gain the respect of anyone outside of his chosen circles, which are quite small.

Comment

Some of these things disgust me. Yes you should show the President respect, no matter how much you disagree with him. I don't agree with many of Obama's viewpoints, but he is still my president and future boss (if he gets reelected anyways) and I will show him respect no matter what. That should go for anyone you meet in life, not just the President. Does that mean people don't have the right to disagree or talk openly about how much they don't like him? Of course not, but to try to name a sewage plant after our president or even something as simple as to refuse to shake his hand is disgraceful IMO.

I didn't join a squad once and this guy named Nardini took me into the back room and beat me with a sock of oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                I don't see why we must give automatic respect to the president. He is not nobility nor does he have any divine authority. He is just an American doing a job.

If you think somebody sucks at doing a political job why do you have to give them any respect? In fact I think giving respect to somebody you don't feel deserves it in politics just because they hold a position of power is anti-American.
                While you may feel political positions are different than other jobs, I think this view of " I will only respect you if you do something for me I like or benefits me" is a big problem with our society. People show no respect to law enforcement, teachers, first responders, military, etc for no reason than the individual can cite that while performing their job they did something that hindered the individual in some way or did something the individual did not like.

I also feel that a common courtesy or proper etiquette is in no way an endorsement of that person, but a respect for the position.
                |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                  While you may feel political positions are different than other jobs, I think this view of " I will only respect you if you do something for me I like or benefits me" is a big problem with our society. People show no respect to law enforcement, teachers, first responders, military, etc for no reason than the individual can cite that while performing their job they did something that hindered the individual in some way or did something the individual did not like.

I also feel that a common courtesy or proper etiquette is in no way an endorsement of that person, but a respect for the position.
                  There is a difference between common courtesy and respect.

I will show the devil himself common courtesy. I show very, very few people respect.

Huge difference.
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

What do we mean by "respect"?

Bitter opponents in Congress still address each other as "my esteemed colleague". You may need a vote from that colleague tomorrow on something you happen to agree on, or as a trade for something he dislikes. It's part of the "tit-for-tat" game strategy.

I do wonder though if "excess" respect arises from oxytocin levels.

http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/11/18/2016255.shtml

I know I tend to be too-trusting in person and I'll bet this is why. OTOH, I'm very skeptical here, where your pheromones can't affect me.
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      What do we mean by "respect"?

Bitter opponents in Congress still address each other as "my esteemed colleague". You may need a vote from that colleague tomorrow on something you happen to agree on, or as a trade for something he dislikes. It's part of the "tit-for-tat" game strategy.

I do wonder though if "excess" respect arises from oxytocin levels.

http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/11/18/2016255.shtml

I know I tend to be too-trusting in person and I'll bet this is why. OTOH, I'm very skeptical here, where your pheromones can't affect me.
                      It is the true feeling of esteem for another. Just going through the actions is manners.

Manners (common courtesies) are wonderful things that make civilization possible. They are the acknowledgment that, even though we don't like each other we can rise above our animal instincts and pretend we like each other.

Comment

Credit CNN for stomping on their own Rick Sanchez, who reported that George Bush had … “cooties” at the G20 meeting. It turns out that Sanchez didn’t bother to actually check out the details of the reception, which Jeanne Moos did after Sanchez’ report went viral yesterday.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/pol...ot.ignored.cnn
                        New to TG?

Comment

I wouldn't phrase it as "pretending to like each other". That implies that we're lying when we're polite. Politeness does not imply affection, just tolerance for the sake of expedience.
                          Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                            I wouldn't phrase it as "pretending to like each other". That implies that we're lying when we're polite. Politeness does not imply affection, just tolerance for the sake of expedience.
                            I disagree. If it was just tolerance we could just say "I tolerate you" and be done with it.

Humans react to behavior. Humans are excellent at showing false behavior (lying) to keep the social group together. Other animals do it, just not as well.

I have heard some researchers theorize that the reason humans developed language was to more effectively lie thus form more effective social groups.

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid View Post
                              Credit CNN for stomping on their own Rick Sanchez, who reported that George Bush had Ö ďcootiesĒ at the G20 meeting. It turns out that Sanchez didnít bother to actually check out the details of the reception, which Jeanne Moos did after Sanchezí report went viral yesterday.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/pol...ot.ignored.cnn
                              Good find Squid. I thought that was very odd.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X