Warcrackers Anonymous

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warcrackers Anonymous

A friend at work keeps bugging me on what to do because her 19 year old step son plays Warcrack 16 hours a day. He is not showing up for school and she is afraid that he'll be living there till he's thirty five. She threatened to impose scheduled Internet time and he didn't come home that night. And it was just a threat. She doesn't want to kick him out or make him leave by cutting him off so he can feed his addiction elsewhere. She wants him to motivate and be interested in school. There is a generation gap. She will never understand how many functions being online serves him, and I haven't been able to explain it to her. I also understand her side. She doesn't want him mooching of her while balding. Any Warcrackes have any advice?

Re: Warcrackers Anonymous

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
    A friend at work keeps bugging me on what to do because her 19 year old step son plays Warcrack 16 hours a day. He is not showing up for school and she is afraid that he'll be living there till he's thirty five. She threatened to impose scheduled Internet time and he didn't come home that night. And it was just a threat. She doesn't want to kick him out or make him leave by cutting him off so he can feed his addiction elsewhere. She wants him to motivate and be interested in school. There is a generation gap. She will never understand how many functions being online serves him, and I haven't been able to explain it to her. I also understand her side. She doesn't want him mooching of her while balding. Any Warcrackes have any advice?
    Shut off the internet.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Yeah i mean the guy is 19 time to grow up. Tell him to get a hair cut and a real job.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

She needs to get tough with him NOW. I have a cousin that's in the 19 year old's position and it needs to be dealt with immediately.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
          Needs counseling - Warcrack became what it was to him because it filled a need. The need got out of control and became addiction, or compulsion.

IMO.. at this stage, professional assistance would probably be required.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
            Shut off the internet.
            Originally posted by Trooper View Post
            Yeah i mean the guy is 19 time to grow up. Tell him to get a hair cut and a real job.
            Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
            She needs to get tough with him NOW. I have a cousin that's in the 19 year old's position and it needs to be dealt with immediately.
            Seriously. The dude is a grown man. Time to start acting like one. Throw him out the house and see what happens. When he finds out that one needs a job to pay the dealer, er, to pay Blizzard, perhaps he'll realize that there's a real world out there. Perhaps he'll just discover how to cope with his addiction AND hold down a job, but still that's not a middle aged kid living with your coworker...
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

I would suggest counseling BEFORE cutting off the internet.
              If he takes off, and it doesn't seem that he has basic adult skills, bad things may happen to him.
              I've never heard of Warcracker and I play way too much online myself, but no job, no school @ 19........that is the path to being a bum.

Comment

What a loser! Yeah, he's 19. I was out of the house by then with a job and going to college. I was majorly into RPGs back then, but it's either play games too much or have money to pay the bills and eat. The choice was obvious, so it took me forever to beat games and I often didn't finish them. And then I joined the military, so obviously being absent from work wasn't exactly an option.

The solution is simple. Kick this kid out of the house. Time for the little punk to learn about responsibility. Or as my wonderful late-grandfather used to say, he'll be "Coping in an adult world."
                "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

No sympathy for the devil.
                  Thank You, I will relay this information.

Comment

Im sure at some point she has got to get fed up with it. We all have sympathy, but for her becuase he is doing nothing but mooching off her. Its really only going to get worse.
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

Tell the son that you don't need the Internet, that it is just another money-sucking resource, but offer the idea that if the kid gets a job and pays for the connection himself, he can continue playing.

If all else fails, the military will fix 'im up good.
                      Waldo II

Comment

Good luck with any option. I was addicted to Warcrack by my cousin and I had to get over it by myself.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Here's what I would do.
                          -Leave the internet on and let him be on there whenever he wants.
                          -Make him begin going to at least a community college and at least taking basic classes needed for most degrees.
                          -Make him get a job working at least 25 hours a week on top of school.

By the time he gets home every day he will either be too tired to do any insane Warcracking or he will stay up and soon see how staying up through all hours of the night makes him late for work or his grades drop like a level 1 rogue against his level 80 mage king...

Comment

She could join his guild? Sorry, just jokes.
                            New to TG?

Comment

Originally posted by USN_Squid View Post
                              She could join his guild? Sorry, just jokes.
                              Do you know how much that would eff up his game?

Imagine his mother joining his guild.....

She joins, then socializes with the members and says embarrassing things about him while he is present. I bet he would freak out and never touch the game again...
                              |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X