Filibuster-proof

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Filibuster-proof

Georgia Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss handed the GOP a firewall against Democrats eager to flex their newfound political muscle in Washington, winning a bruising runoff battle Tuesday night that had captured the national limelight.

Chambliss' victory thwarted Democrats' hopes of winning a 60 seat filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.
    http://apnews.myway.com/article/20081203/D94QV0C00.html

There really is HOPE.

Re: Filibuster-proof

Originally posted by KomradeObama View Post
    Hope for what? A pointless multi-day phonebook-reading session?
    "Filibuster-proof" or not, I hate that method of persuasion, and would be happy to see it taken off the table for both sides.
    [volun2]
    NS Game Officer. TF2 Admin. BF2 Admin / Scripter. PM with issues.
    Tempus: Pokerface is nailing it right on the head. Everyone who is arguing against him is simply arguing against reality.
    <anmuzi> it is not permitted to have privacy or anonymity
    <LazyEye> yeah when I play on TG the server digs though my trash

Arm yourself with knowledge: TG NS TF2 BF2

Comment

The requirement of a supermajority of 60% in the Senate seems an extremely important barricade against stupid laws passing.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Did you notice he won by ~300,000 votes this time? Hmm.....

The only one left is Al Franken. Let's hope he can't get it pushed all the way to Congress.

Comment

Well dont count out their 60 yet, after all McCain said he is staying in the Senate...
          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Better not to have a huge majority. Makes them compromise and work together to get something passed.

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
              Well dont count out their 60 yet, after all McCain said he is staying in the Senate...
              LMAO
              I was thinking the same thing.
              It would be true Maverick to go indy now.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokerface View Post
                Hope for what? A pointless multi-day phonebook-reading session?
                "Filibuster-proof" or not, I hate that method of persuasion, and would be happy to see it taken off the table for both sides.

If congress would pass a line item veto bill for the president i think you would see the filibuster gone. But until stupid congress men/women stop adding senseless pork to the really important bills, its here to stay.
                that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                -Vulcan

Comment

I am pretty sure it is a formality now and they don't even bother to actually hold the floor like in the good old days, like when one guy talked for like 2 days against the Civil Rights Act.
                  They just file some paper and it is assumed, if they have the votes, that they actually filibustered.
                  It is seemingly senseless but I think it is one of the important brakes on the government that help to keep it from going 100% out of control.
                  I'd put us at about 60-80% out of control now.

Comment

Originally posted by KomradeObama View Post
                    It is seemingly senseless but I think it is one of the important brakes on the government that help to keep it from going 100% out of control.
                    I'd put us at about 60-80% out of control now.
                    Out of who's control? Yours?

For what its worth, I'm rather glad the Democrats didn't get a supermajority either. This way, there is less likely to be a surge of leftist policies (that I personally would love) that would lead to a backlash against the democrats later on. This way, if things go well, a democratic hold on the government can potentially go for much longer. :)
                    Last edited by Razcsak; 12-03-2008, 07:49 PM. Reason: bbcode
                    I can ADS using more than a 2x without significant stutter! This was a good patch.

Comment

Originally posted by Razcsak View Post
                      Out of who's control? Yours?

For what its worth, I'm rather glad the Democrats didn't get a supermajority either. This way, there is less likely to be a surge of leftist policies (that I personally would love) that would lead to a backlash against the democrats later on. This way, if things go well, a democratic hold on the government can potentially go for much longer. :)

God help us all.
                      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                      -Vulcan

Comment

Point of reference, line item vetoes are unconstitutional. See Clinton v. City of New York, and here for the Wikipedia version.
                        BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
                        CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

I am totally against line item veto, gridlock is wonderful.
                          Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                          X