2008 Hunting season

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 Hunting season

Cmon i cant be the only one who hunts show up your pics!!! to bad where i hunt the night pictures show there to be a lot of deer but when i get out there i spend a good 10 hours staring at nothing with a gun that i wanna shoot!!! im 23 and i've only got a doe and a buck to my name and i've been hunting since i was 12
    We're not retreating, we're advancing in another direction

Re: 2008 Hunting season

i think next year im going to get my license and hunt. I keep seeing some nice sized bucks around my house that are just begging to be eaten. What kind of gun you got?
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Comment

Haven't had a chance this year :(
      sigpic

Comment

Im going hunting before christmas for 3 days I cant wait I didnt get to hunt any last year my 708 is itchin for a kill.
        |TG| Plude220

Comment

I keep passing 8 and 10 pointers in the country road. Better tell my hunting friends on where :D.
          |TG-6th|SirNerd

My Resume includes Pirate, Mercenary, and a Devil Dog, what else do you want.

Pain is Inevitable, Suffering is Optional.

When you can't run anymore, you crawl and when you can't do that, you find someone to carry you.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Nerd View Post
            I keep passing 8 and 10 pointers in the country road. Better tell my hunting friends on where :D.
            See, in my area. The day or two after a deer is hit and moved the the side of the road, the head goes missing. :row__679:

Comment

Originally posted by DrBeat View Post
              See, in my area. The day or two after a deer is hit and moved the the side of the road, the head goes missing. :row__679:
              Sad but true, same thing here. Pretty lame IMO.

I am all for hunting for those that eat the meat and use the animal as best they can. I have a serious problem with those that go out drinking, shoot the deer and just leave it to rot in the woods while taking the head... or just leaving it to rot. Though people like that are in the minority, they give all hunters a bad name.

Personally I have not been hunting in years now. Since I moved away from home, I am not as familiar with the grounds here and just not been motivated to get up at 3am to go stand in a tree. :P
              Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I used to hunt with the bow (High Country Excalibur) back when i lived in upstate (Rockland County) N.Y. I sat In a tree stand six seasons religiously before i finally scored a nice five pointer. I'm sure you can use the same comparison as war with hunting. Hours of boredom with minutes of excitement! Nothing like the hunt.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by [tR]Greasy_mullet View Post
                  I am all for hunting for those that eat the meat and use the animal as best they can. I have a serious problem with those that go out drinking, shoot the deer and just leave it to rot in the woods while taking the head... or just leaving it to rot. Though people like that are in the minority, they give all hunters a bad name.
                  I am pretty sure that is illegal in most places. You have to bring in the deer you shoot so that the wildlife department can track it.

So those that do that are not only dorks, they are law breakers as well.

Personally I like small/medium game like squirrel, dove, quail, pheasant, turkey, rabbit. Big game was always too much work and expense for too little reward.
                  Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                  - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                  - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                  - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                  - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                  - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                  - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                    I am pretty sure that is illegal in most places. You have to bring in the deer you shoot so that the wildlife department can track it.

So those that do that are not only dorks, they are law breakers as well.

Personally I like small/medium game like squirrel, dove, quail, pheasant, turkey, rabbit. Big game was always too much work and expense for too little reward.

too little reward has me laughing, I havent hunted for the past 2 years... but 2 years ago, I killed my first Elk ;] a good 4-500 pound Cow. 250 pounds of Steak, and Ground elk will last you quite a good while.

I hunt with a Weatherby Vangaurd Chambered in 300 Wby Mag.

http://weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard/sporter

too much work for too little reward in the game of hunting turkey or pheasant in my opinion, hard as hell to find, Removing feathers is a serious Bitch compared to skinning *which I dont do anyways since for 100 bucks I can have my elk butchered professionally.

Rabbit vs. Ruger 10/22 can be fun though. not so great for meat maybe a meal worth but ehh good fun in sport.

Regaurding laws, if you are in the woods with a Hunting weapon. here in Colorado if a Game warden crosses your path you must show a tag, if you don't have one.....Enjoy that fat *thousands of dollars* ticket for walking in the woods with a firearm. on the other hand, if you actually kill big game without a license, You recieve Jail time.... and a Fine that runs in the many tens of thousands. the best part of hunting is friends and family though, gotta love it for the people, and then the experience. Nothing like sneaking up to a herd of 100 elk to take your pick of Good eatin'.

P.S. I also Hand re-load my Cartridges, Since the Weatherby mag is extremely expensive ammo, box of 20 for 55 bucks last I checked. Reloading I can make easily 100 Cartridges to my special recipe for 55 bucks ;]. Plus the bullet selection from

Barnes Tripple Shock work absolutely amazingly in my gun, that 4-500 pound elk I killed only took One bullet in a Non Vital area *im a ****ty shot, plus the damn things spotted me and started running by the time I could make a shot. I hit it in the Neck hit neither an artery or the windpipe, the sheer power and complete energy transfer of the bullet, Caused the animals neck to snap. penetration was minimal too only went about Half way through the neck meaning All 3600 ft-lbs of Energy were expelled in about 4-5 inches. I'd call that pretty damned good, that kind of inpact doesnt need to touch a heart or lung, just hitting in the area and the organ would explode.

Anyways I ended up paralysing the Elk, was sad to see the thing crying and in shock on the ground. but that's the name of the game, and it beats what happens in Slaughterhouses around america by 100% in terms of humane ways to kill an animal, second shot to the head killed it....Getting it into the bed of the truck was flipping fun though. I bench press 200 pounds. with my stepdad we were only able to drag it into the bed, had to use a car to pull it up over a beam in our barn. Probation prevents me from even touching my guns as of the moment though.
                    Last edited by stickyjeans69; 12-05-2008, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post
                      too little reward has me laughing, I havent hunted for the past 2 years... but 2 years ago, I killed my first Elk ;] a good 4-500 pound Cow. 250 pounds of Steak, and Ground elk will last you quite a good while.
                      If you live near the big game and don't have to travel and can hunt for free it could be OK. So if you live in the mountains of Montana or Colorado it changes things a bit.

But I have found that the the time to get there, the time spent in the stand or on the stalk, the time traveling back, the time hauling it out (if you get one) the time cleaning, the time and cost of processing is way too much.

If you don't have your own land it is even worse. Farmers in NW Oklahoma are charging ridiculous amounts to hunt on their land. And forget hunting the public lands within decent driving distances of any metropolitan area. Way to crowded for my tastes.

But if you simply enjoy the process of big game hunting (and I don't) then it is most worthy of the time and money.

But with small game I can get a wild hair and go out about any time of the day and usually get a animal or two. No need for camo or scents or stands or any of that crap. Just a shotgun and a pocket full of shells. Most farmers will let you hunt as long as it isn't deer season (another reason I hate all the deer seasons.)
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by stickyjeans69 View Post

too much work for too little reward in the game of hunting turkey or pheasant in my opinion, hard as hell to find, Removing feathers is a serious Bitch compared to skinning *which I dont do anyways since for 100 bucks I can have my elk butchered professionally.
                        You didn't get learned correctly.

Like I said, depends on where you live. Turkey can be found just stepping out the door where I grew up. It is an easy hunt for a ten year old. Spring turkey a bit harder but not much.

And cleaning birds can't be much simpler. Could do a Turkey in under 15 minutes not counting the water boiling time.

Comment

Turkey are very hard to come by here in Colorado, on the otherhand in spring/summer you see a herd of 20-50 elk every day on the drive from the foothills to denver. in regaurds to land to hunt on, there are some state owned hunting grounds worth while in Colorado, Plenty of elk in them. but I went to school with the son of a Land tycoon here...has some 4,000 Acres of property. what the Business men from new york pay thousands for, I pay the price of Smokeless Powder and a bullet. works for me.

Comment

We got tons of Turkey here.

And yea it is very much against the law to leave them in the woods to rot but it happens all the time here in Tennessee as well as Virginia.

I am curious about the firearm in the woods law and the tag. I know we have rules here about having a plug in a shotgun so you can not load too many shells (Makes no sense at all to me) but I go target shooting and have never had an issue. Then again... that is also on private property so perhaps that is why.
                            Battlefield Samurai 'Banzaaaiii!!!

Comment

I use a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge shotgun all pump action.
                              We're not retreating, we're advancing in another direction

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X