Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The World’s First Energy-Generating Revolving Door

The World’s First Energy-Generating Revolving Door

Interesting little tidbit about a coffee shop in the Netherlands and their modification to generate extra energy for the shop. Worst comes to worst, you have a guy spinning around like a hamster to keep the lights on.

Re: The World’s First Energy-Generating Revolving Door

I've always admired the way the people in the netherlands worked/think..

(On a random note; anyone else seen the day the earth stood still? or w\e new K.Reeves movie is out right now?)
    "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
    'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Even if it is expensive, this should be placed in every high traffic public area in the US.
      A large mall with these things ? or Penn Station ? etc
      It wouldn't take ten years to pay them off then.

Comment

This is such a simple concept! I'm surprised it hasn't been standard for decades! I hope a lot more businesses see this and start to implement little things like this.
        "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
          This is such a simple concept! I'm surprised it hasn't been standard for decades! I hope a lot more businesses see this and start to implement little things like this.
          I have also seen energy generating floor tiles. As you walk on them they produce a small amount of energy. They also provide a certain amount of shock absorption.

There have been prototypes for energy producing windows. Basically transparent solar panels that reduce the heat gain, allow some natural light in and generate some energy. Would be very good for all those skylights.

You could apply the same principle to regular doors on a smaller scale. And I bet there are hundreds of other ideas that convert normal activities into energy.

There was a link I posted in another thread about carports designed for large parking lots that had solar collectors on the top. They would generate electricity and shade cars from the sun.

One guy took the attic vents and made them into small wind generators. Generated enough power for a couple florescent lights.

Lots of idea out of there. Most are just kinda of expensive, especially in the short run. Long run most make some sense, especially if you value independence.
          I’m not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
          - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
          - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
          - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
          - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
          - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
          - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

It's amazing to think about the sheer amount of wasted energy floating around out there from so many sources, whether they be solar, kinetic, etc. Each of these things seem small producers individually, but the added generation is mind blowing to think about. Could you imagine if New York City or Tokyo sidewalks had a way to harness the energy from people walking to work?
            "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

What about Gilligan ?
              Almost every episode of Gilligan's Island had him pedalling a bike to power some contraption of the Professor.
              Why not tie all the treadmills and Nautilus machines into a generator ?
              Want to watch an hour of TV ?
              Pedal at 15mph for 15min and you can.
              Great ideas but somewhat limiting and not likely to catch on in the nation of sloth.

Comment

Originally posted by KomradeObama View Post
                Pedal at 15mph for 15min and you can.
                Great ideas but somewhat limiting and not likely to catch on in the nation of sloth.
                That would be a pretty good invention for those parents who think that their kid watches too much tv though.. Especially if they think their kid is a bit obese or anything.. Could probably make some money out of something like that..
                "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

"I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                  I have also seen energy generating floor tiles. As you walk on them they produce a small amount of energy. They also provide a certain amount of shock absorption.

There have been prototypes for energy producing windows. Basically transparent solar panels that reduce the heat gain, allow some natural light in and generate some energy. Would be very good for all those skylights.

You could apply the same principle to regular doors on a smaller scale. And I bet there are hundreds of other ideas that convert normal activities into energy.

There was a link I posted in another thread about carports designed for large parking lots that had solar collectors on the top. They would generate electricity and shade cars from the sun.

One guy took the attic vents and made them into small wind generators. Generated enough power for a couple florescent lights.

Lots of idea out of there. Most are just kinda of expensive, especially in the short run. Long run most make some sense, especially if you value independence.
                  Piezoelectric road
                  Innowattech estimates that its system will scale up to 400 kilowatts from a one kilometer stretch of dual carriageway. While the initial IPEG test will be on a roadway, the company says that its technology can also be used on airport runways and rail systems.
                  :icon14:

There are a lot of interesting ideas and technologies on CleanTechnica

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

How about a pedal-powered generator to drive your gaming computer?

"Dude, you disconnected right in the middle of the scrim!"

"Yeah, I got a cramp in my leg and lost power."
                    Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by ScratchMonkey View Post
                      How about a pedal-powered generator to drive your gaming computer?

"Dude, you disconnected right in the middle of the scrim!"

"Yeah, I got a cramp in my leg and lost power."
                      I heard a story about something like this. The dad hooked up a power generating stationary bike. He originally tried to power the TV directly but it took to much power (Try generating 100 watts for more than a few minutes. It is pretty hard.) So instead they had to produce something like 10 watts to a circuit that would flip a switch to the TV.

From what I remember he actually did it originally so that he and the wife would loose weight. And so that the TV wouldn't stay on all day.

Eventually he added a capacitor so that the power would stay on for a couple of seconds to allow switching between people and. He decided to do this because he missed the ending of a big play when got excited and tipped the bike over. It also helped the kids switch off.

I think I read this in backwoods home magazine.

Don't know if it is true but isn't a bad idea.
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Power generating keyboards anyone? lol.
                        It probably wouldn't be cost efficient but what if you took a busy trucker highway, placed small horizontal windmill things along the roadway, and let the draft from the trucks passing by generate energy. I suppose it wouldn't be good when someone crashes into them though.

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                          I heard a story about something like this. The dad hooked up a power generating stationary bike. He originally tried to power the TV directly but it took to much power (Try generating 100 watts for more than a few minutes. It is pretty hard.) So instead they had to produce something like 10 watts to a circuit that would flip a switch to the TV.

From what I remember he actually did it originally so that he and the wife would loose weight. And so that the TV wouldn't stay on all day.

Eventually he added a capacitor so that the power would stay on for a couple of seconds to allow switching between people and. He decided to do this because he missed the ending of a big play when got excited and tipped the bike over. It also helped the kids switch off.

I think I read this in backwoods home magazine.

Don't know if it is true but isn't a bad idea.
                          Would it be possible to store all the energy created into a battery so you wouldnt have to constantly do it to watch tv? Maybe bike for a hour hard with the tv off then stop and turn it on for 2 hours?

Comment

The Daily Planet Book of Cool Ideas

If you guys weren't aware of this book that has the most amazing ways people from all over the world to find out what we can do to reverse global warming and what people are doing to create a sustainable future.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. ~ Jimi Hendrix

And isn't it a bad thing to be deceived about the truth, and a good thing to know what the truth is? For I assume that by knowing the truth you mean knowing things as they really are. ~ Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                              Would it be possible to store all the energy created into a battery so you wouldnt have to constantly do it to watch tv? Maybe bike for a hour hard with the tv off then stop and turn it on for 2 hours?
                              I don't think it would work to well. Most tv's use from 100 to 300 watts.

That is something like 1000 - 4000 calories a second.

Actually thinking about it I think the guy probably had the switch to flip at about 200 milliwatts. A single watt is about 1000 cal/hr.

Of course my calculations could be way off.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X