The Turing Test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Turing Test

If you guys don't know what the Turing Test is, go and wiki it. (short answer: it's a test developed for people to chat with a computer and see if you believe it's a computer or a human) It's pretty interesting how close it is to being a human.

http://testing.turinghub.com/

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Re: The Turing Test

Meh, I asked it if 'I can haz chezburger' and it told me that I can make my own chat robot. Turing win.
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

<---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

Comment

lol that is awesome

My name: Adept a skilled or proficient person Abyss a deep, immeasurable space, gulf, or cavity
      So I'm a very skilled deep hole :D

Comment

Bah. It fails the sarcasm test.
        "There are two kinds of people in this world. Those with guns and those who dig. You dig."
        EvE Online: Jintu Xi, Bandu McWilly
        PLAYSTATIONŽNetwork & Steam = "TrickyTerp"

Comment

Well I tried doing my best psychiatrist to it, and it broke down fairly quickly but it was fun. Dr. Sbaitso is still my favorite human-computer interaction, thingy though. :P

My favorite exchange with this program was:
          Code:
          A: Do you like programs?
          B: I like Joan Collins.

A: What do you like about Joan Collins?
          B: The special effects are the best.
          BF 2142:|TG| Birdman10113
          CoD4: |TG|Birdman

Let's put the badges here...

Comment

It's an interesting chatbot. Depending on your standards of human communication it does an okay job with some questions. I couldn't get it to remember a specific number, though.

I'd like to see programs like this inserted into video games for NPC interaction for non-vital NPCs. Just populate the chatbot's conversation database with a lot of background information from the story, set up a 'hint' button that would suggest useful things for the player to ask NPCs, and let it loose. It'd probably be erratic, but it's better than having an NPC spout the same three lines forever.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
              It's an interesting chatbot. Depending on your standards of human communication it does an okay job with some questions. I couldn't get it to remember a specific number, though.

I'd like to see programs like this inserted into video games for NPC interaction for non-vital NPCs. Just populate the chatbot's conversation database with a lot of background information from the story, set up a 'hint' button that would suggest useful things for the player to ask NPCs, and let it loose. It'd probably be erratic, but it's better than having an NPC spout the same three lines forever.
              Maybe we should suggest this to developers. Of course, this would probably take up more space than those three lines.

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

Originally posted by Mech__Warrior View Post
                If you guys don't know what the Turing Test is, go and wiki it. (short answer: it's a test developed for people to chat with a computer and see if you believe it's a computer or a human) It's pretty interesting how close it is to being a human.

http://testing.turinghub.com/
                A: Hi
                B: Hello there.

A: What color is an orange?
                B: Black.

Comment

A: that is incorrect
                  B: What would you have said?
                  A: I would have said 'blue'
                  B: Green.
                  A: no, green
                  B: I understand. What do you have that is GREEN?
                  A: my skin
                  B: What color is it?

*facepalm*
                  Edit: This just gets better and better...

A: green
                  B: What does GREEN remind you of?
                  A: my skin
                  B: Where did you get your skin?
                  A: I've had it since birth
                  B: Do you still have it since birth ?
                  A: no, I lost it in a game of chance
                  B: What happened to it? Where did you last see it.
                  |TG-Irr| westyfield

Sig pic by Sonic, avatar by Chalcas. Thanks!
                  Irregular since 2007.

Comment

I don't think the chatbot is familiar with the concept that you might be lying to it. It assumes that you will be telling the truth, and so it gets confused when you start spouting surrealisms. :)

Comment

Sad but true - chatbots are more convincing when they ignore everything you say and spew random invective and profanity peppered with crude sexual advances.

Comment

Originally posted by FrankManik View Post
                        Sad but true - chatbots are more convincing when they ignore everything you say and spew random invective and profanity peppered with crude sexual advances.
                        Hmmm, sounds like the first rule of improv comedy to me. Actually, reading the dialogue with the computer does sound like an improv skit. Maybe they would do well at the game Scene to Rap!

Comment

I've picked up some good knowledge with the Turing test and with its relation to artificial intelligence (from classes).

It was an "okay" test for its time. It's not exactly the definitive test now to see if an A.I. is truly an A.I.

For one, it doesn't really test for "natural" language understanding or common knowledge.

For example:

ELIZA doesn't pass the Turing test in today's world since we can easily talk about something other than our "problems" and the AI would be lost and thus resort to some generic goalding answers in an attempt to get us back to talking about our "problems".

PARRY at one point might have passed the Turing test depending on who you ask (since it was tested across the nation by psychiatrist physicians).
                          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                          Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

A: hey
                            B: Can I help you?

A: yes, what is 4+3
                            B: What can I do for you? 10+I think, but I'm not good at math.

A: are you an idiot
                            B: Call me the Global Village Idiot.

A: ok global village idiot how is your day
                            B: Is that a fact. Right on.

found this fun:)

It cant do simple math therefore it fails at imitating a human and then it say I can call it something and it does not respond to the name:)
                            If people are becoming so bored when playing that they have to resort to this immature behaviour I will give them something to do, call it a project. The project is "appeal a ban". - Wicks

Comment

A: What colour is an orange?
                              B: White.

A: That is incorrect
                              B: What would you have said?

A: Orange
                              B: I will make a note of that.

A: Was it a huge success?
                              B: Signs point to yes. Ask Reger if it is.

This thing is awesome with stupid questions.

|TG-Irr|JamesTerror

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X