Get Blackbird!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Get Blackbird!

OK, I'm thinking about downloading it simply because it's a cool logo they've got going and I dig dark themes.

But I started this thread to ask you all if you thought society had come to a point where racial segregation has become a good thing. Do we want a culture based on the color of skin? What does it mean when Eminem has concert specials on the Black Entertainment Television channel? Why is racism OK when it's this browser, or a cable network, or a National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, but not if the racism supports a white group?

When I ask about when it's Irish-American History Month, a friend at work always points out to me that we've had that every month since this country was founded. He says that every day is a white man's day, but that minorities only get a single month out of the year. He's only half joking when he says that. And his point is made, loud and clear. But haven't we gotten past that? Aren't we ready to move on? Doesn't further racial segregation and baiting only serve to divide us and keep fueling racial prejudice?
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Re: Get Blackbird!

It's a huge marketing error to segregate something like this. Having said that, I'm downloading now :)

Comment

Originally posted by whistler View Post
      It's a huge marketing error to segregate something like this. Having said that, I'm downloading now :)
      Marketing is one thing. I understand that demographic targeting is quite lucrative. This is different. I'm talking about the culture behind this type of segregation.
      Buy a Tactical Duck!
      Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."

Comment

As far as I can tell it is not segregation if you are not being segregated. Is anyone or anything stopping you from downloading the browser? No.

At first glance I find it (Blackbird) dumb but to each his own.

Comment

Sometimes I wonder why I can't be called a Polish, Irish, etc American.......

Instead I am "White"
          |TG-X|Turkish

Comment

You can be polish or whatever you want. When someone say's you are white, just so "no, I'm Irish" or whatever. If they argue, tell them they're being racist and to stop oppressing you. (and I'm being serious here.)
            "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
            Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
            " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skylark View Post
              You can be polish or whatever you want. When someone say's you are white, just so "no, I'm Irish" or whatever. If they argue, tell them they're being racist and to stop oppressing you. (and I'm being serious here.)
              I tell them I'm not white, I'm light skinned Celtic.

The racism is blatant but it has to expire a natural death.
              It will take a very long time.

I was never very big on nationalism or pride in my country until 2001 and really not until 2003 when I truly realized how many people hate or claim to hate the place they live.
              That gave me some new insight into why people get so excited about things they can't control, like where they were born or what color their skin is.
              But we have a half black President Elect after having 8 years of a black Secretary of State, half of that a black woman.

The Balkanization that some people would like to see will not be driven by products marketed to the "African-American" demographic.

Racism in America is often used as a political tool, far more often by one side of the aisle than the other, largely because it preserves some people's jobs, namely those who "fight" against racism.

I am not saying it doesn't exist, but it is not as pervasive as some would like to claim, nor is it all one-sided.

Comment

Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
                But haven't we gotten past that? Aren't we ready to move on? Doesn't further racial segregation and baiting only serve to divide us and keep fueling racial prejudice?
                Race is and will continue to be an issue in our society. As for racial prejudice and such, I had an entire class once devoted to racial issues and multiculturalism in the United States.

As a class we eventually agreed that ignoring or being racially blind doesn't help. We needed to change the way people think and view others were are "different". We need to accept that we're all different and the country is multicultural and diverse.

With that said, it would depend on how each person views this Blackbird browser, Eminem concert tickets sold on BET, etc. Some people will take offense to it and it would take a lot to change their views and minds. Others are heartless and cold and like conflict and strife and thus will use these types of events/products/things to further dividing people.

Maybe it's me, but when I ask someone if they X or Y, I always feel guilty. So I try not to ask and only ask when I need to keep faces and names straight in my head.
                |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
                TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
                Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
                Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

My stepdad, and other parts of my family talked all kinds of racism when I was growing up. They were all from other countries with only one race. I grew up with friends of many races in NYC and learned a lot about them in school. If I grew up in an all white area, with no multi-cultural awareness or education I would probably be racist today because of what my parents were feeding me. I'm sure this scenario is still being played out all over the country in urban as well as rural settings.

I have been to meetings with old school Black Panthers and their message on an interpersonal basis about race is to not identify a racist to another person because it propagates a racist culture. They say let them be racist by themselves, in solitude and not project thier cause.

The people I know who were born in Africa do not identify themselves as African-Americans ever. They are very specific about what country they came from. Just like white people from Europe such as myself. I am from Latvia. If your great grandfather was a slave then you can only identify the continent your from. Why can't these people have an identity to rally behind. There are many Irish organizations, Jewish, Italian etc.

It doesn't matter anyway. We will all be brown and Chinese in about 700 years.

Comment

It is a Cool Logo though!
                    |TG|ARMA Pathfinder
                    ..now where did I put my keys?

Comment

Racism is not about recognizing or even celebrating the differences between the grouping of peoples.

Racism is when you think once race is superior to another.

I don't think marketing to a certain group is necessarily racist or segregation. It defiantly can be. But if you are simply creating a product for the specific needs of a group then it is just marketing.

The easy example of course are browsers for the blind. In no way do those products suggest that the blind are superior to the sighted.

This blackbird browser, if I understand it, is simply making it easier for those of a certain race to find information and interact with others of a particular colour. I would put it in the same category of a browser designed for those interested in movie stars or anime or the polish culture.

Is Lifetime, the Military Channel, TCM or Bravo sexist, racist, ageist, segregationist or anything like that? I don't think so. I think they just target a particular market.

I watch BET sometimes and the only difference between it and something like Lifetime is Lifetime is designed to appeal to some women and BET is designed to appeal to some blacks. The commercials often feature either general products with black actors or products that are used or appeal to some black people. Same with lifetime. Those commercials often feature women and are for products that some women find appealing.

Humans group and classify things naturally. This natural behavior only goes bad when superiority is placed upon the simplistic groupings of things like race.
                      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
                      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
                      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
                      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Lusitano Louco View Post
                        As far as I can tell it is not segregation if you are not being segregated. Is anyone or anything stopping you from downloading the browser? No.
                        I'm not saying it's forced segregation, it's definitely voluntary, but it's segregation nonetheless... And I'm not talking about just this browser. I'm talking about the entire concept of basing a culture, and labeling it as being about skin color.

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                        Racism is not about recognizing or even celebrating the differences between the grouping of peoples.

Racism is when you think once race is superior to another.

I don't think marketing to a certain group is necessarily racist or segregation. It defiantly can be. But if you are simply creating a product for the specific needs of a group then it is just marketing.
                        Again, I'm not talking about marketing. I'm talking about the concept of people wanting to "surf black", as if a browser cares what color your skin is... And racism is not just the belief of superiority of a race, but, really, any discrimination based on race. This browser clearly discriminates based on race, as it's "the browser for African Americans".

I was just hoping that more people would say, "You're right. This is ridiculous. Let's stop bringing skin color into every discussion."

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                        The people I know who were born in Africa do not identify themselves as African-Americans ever. They are very specific about what country they came from.
                        That's strange. I've got a horrible time at work, asking people what country they're from, and them telling me that they are from Africa. I'll take a deep breath and ask them what country in Africa they're from and they'll tell me they're from East Africa. Then I'll take another deep breath and start asking them if they're from Sudan or Eritrea or Ethiopia or what? Then they'll finally give me an accurate answer to my question.
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!

Comment

Strange, now that you say it I have noticed that people from Africa are vague while folks from the Carribean are always very specific about where they are from.

Comment

Hey, I just realized.. I'm not white, I'm TacticalGamerian!
                            "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
                            Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
                            " Ednos

sigpic

Comment

You know what is vague? Sweeping generalizations.

There is no discrimination here. You need to get your terminology straight. While you're at it try to get your way of viewing things straight as well.

At the most there is some self-ghettoization going on. Nothing more and nothing less. However, since this is the Internet and you are free to download and browse with that browser, or not, there is no discrimination, segregation or any other "'tion" going on here, except in your head.

If and when a website blocks you from viewing it because of using that browser, then there might be grounds for you to dig up the segregation or discrimination arguments. Until then, there is nothing of the sort going on.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X