Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

    [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc[/media]

    It's long, but you need to watch this. (Yes, this is probably a repost ;) )
    ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
    No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

    <---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.


  • #2
    Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

    Unless police are at my door asking about something that VERY obviously doesn't directly involve us, my family is instructed not to talk to police, nor to allow them to enter the house. Period.

    No, I don't have anything to hide. But I believe in the rights guaranteed to us by our constitution, and the only way to guarantee them is to exercise them regularly.
    Become a supporting member!
    Buy a Tactical Duck!
    Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
    TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

      Watching CSI: Miami (with the family) the other day, and my cousin asked me why anyone who's innocent would not want to take a lie detector given by the police. Pretty funny.
      A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

      "$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

        I'm a paranoid schezaphrenic and I outnumber myself two to one. And all THREE of us ain't telling a cop NOTHING! My dad was a cop for a few years before he died, and he continually told me to only talk to them with a lawyer. I really HATE that this is the smart thing to do. That sucks. If you're innocent, you shouldn't have a thing to worry about... but dang...
        "Sympathy means a lot, coming from Kulmar. I didn't think it was possible.
        Good luck getting rid of your disease. If you're infected, though, stay away--I can't afford to be a zombie right now.
        " Ednos


        sigpic




        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

          Originally posted by CingularDuality View Post
          Unless police are at my door asking about something that VERY obviously doesn't directly involve us, my family is instructed not to talk to police, nor to allow them to enter the house. Period.

          No, I don't have anything to hide. But I believe in the rights guaranteed to us by our constitution, and the only way to guarantee them is to exercise them regularly.
          Even the police can be corrupt and immoral. (I'm not pointing a finger at anyone in particular or any LEOs here.)

          One would think this would be common sense for people.
          |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
          TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
          Former 9th & 13th

          Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
          Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-





          SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

          TG Primer and Rules

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

            Originally posted by Acreo Aeneas View Post
            Even the police can be corrupt and immoral. (I'm not pointing a finger at anyone in particular or any LEOs here.)
            That's not even relevant here. The fact is that they have a job to do. Did you watch the clip? I highly suggest it.
            Become a supporting member!
            Buy a Tactical Duck!
            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

              There were at least 5 detectives and 3 uniformed cops outside my next door neighbors house when I pulled up in my driveway a few weeks ago. A quiet Asian family live there. When I got out of my car a DT asked me if I had a key to their house? I didn't so I said no. I asked what was gong on, they said everything was fine, brushing me off. If I had the key it may have implicated me somehow if I answered yes and also if I lied and said no. I still don't know what happened that day, but I have not seen the grandmother since. It would have been hard for me to tell the police that I'm not going to help them I plead the fifth. According to the video that's what I should have done.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

                oooooooo another reason to believe everything on youtube is real and true.........yipeee
                Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                Level I HazMat Technician
                NYS EMT-B
                Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

                sigpic




                Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

                  Da Boondocks take on talking to the police (language NSFW warning):

                  Link
                  Last edited by Rincewind; 12-29-2008, 01:33 AM.
                  ~~ Veritas simplex oratio est ~~
                  No matter how far a wizard goes, he will always come back for his hat. --T. Pratchett

                  <---- You know you're getting old when you rely on your forum meta-data to remind you how old you are.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

                    Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                    There were at least 5 detectives and 3 uniformed cops outside my next door neighbors house when I pulled up in my driveway a few weeks ago. A quiet Asian family live there. When I got out of my car a DT asked me if I had a key to their house? I didn't so I said no. I asked what was gong on, they said everything was fine, brushing me off. If I had the key it may have implicated me somehow if I answered yes and also if I lied and said no. I still don't know what happened that day, but I have not seen the grandmother since. It would have been hard for me to tell the police that I'm not going to help them I plead the fifth. According to the video that's what I should have done.
                    You don't plead the fifth. You only plead the fifth when being questioned in a formal legal environment. When a cop on the street tries to talk to you, you say, "Sorry, I don't speak to police."
                    A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

                    "$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

                      Good video thanks, but when I got pulled over and almost got a felony I said I wanted to call a lawyer before anything happens, cop said that I couldnt call anyone (no close family, no extended family, no lawyers, no other cops or nothing), later after they searched car the guy said to me that right when anyone asks to call their lawyer they automaticlly assume that the person is guilty.. and I'd say that the majority of cops are immoral..
                      "A Veteran is someone who , at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to
                      'The United states of America' for an amount of 'upto and including my life'. That is honor, and there are way to many people in this country who no longer understand it."-Author Unknown

                      "I got kicked out of barnes and noble once for moving all the bibles into the fiction section" -Any.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

                        lol
                        What's your definition of immoral ?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

                          Originally posted by xTYBALTx View Post
                          You don't plead the fifth. You only plead the fifth when being questioned in a formal legal environment. When a cop on the street tries to talk to you, you say, "Sorry, I don't speak to police."
                          I understand that. My point was that it would be very difficult for me to not help people who are supposed to be serving and protecting me. If everyone said "Sorry, I don't speak to police." there would be very few crimes solved. Everyone crys that they want more neighborhood cops walking the beat, but nobody wants to talk to them. Isn't it a two way street. In poor inner city areas, kids are thought at an early age to fear police and never speak to them. Now this fear is spreading all over America. I'm not saying the video is wrong, I'm just saying I don't like it at all. Avoiding all risk where there may be a small chance that I may end up sued or in court conflicts strongly with my sense of duty. Ofcourse if I were being questioned for somehting I may have done I would keep my mouth shut.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

                            Originally posted by Fenian420 View Post
                            Good video thanks, but when I got pulled over and almost got a felony I said I wanted to call a lawyer before anything happens, cop said that I couldnt call anyone (no close family, no extended family, no lawyers, no other cops or nothing), later after they searched car the guy said to me that right when anyone asks to call their lawyer they automaticlly assume that the person is guilty.. and I'd say that the majority of cops are immoral..
                            What in the world are you talking about? The police don't have to let you call your lawyer unless they want to conduct a custodial interrogation. They absolutely can detain you for a reasonable amount of time on the side of the road. It's up to YOU to exercise your rights and not give consent to them searching your car. Likewise, it's up to you not to give them probable cause to search your car. The way you ask for a lawyer MAY be used to articulate cause or suspicion. If the first thing out of your mouth is "I want my lawyer", that would arouse suspicion in any reasonable person. For all you know, the cop could just want to warn you that your gas cap was hanging off.

                            It's all about being reasonable. Which your post is not...
                            Become a supporting member!
                            Buy a Tactical Duck!
                            Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                            TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Whatever you do, don't talk to the police: A Lawyer and an LOE perspective

                              Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                              I understand that. My point was that it would be very difficult for me to not help people who are supposed to be serving and protecting me. If everyone said "Sorry, I don't speak to police." there would be very few crimes solved. Everyone crys that they want more neighborhood cops walking the beat, but nobody wants to talk to them. Isn't it a two way street. In poor inner city areas, kids are thought at an early age to fear police and never speak to them. Now this fear is spreading all over America. I'm not saying the video is wrong, I'm just saying I don't like it at all. Avoiding all risk where there may be a small chance that I may end up sued or in court conflicts strongly with my sense of duty. Ofcourse if I were being questioned for somehting I may have done I would keep my mouth shut.
                              It's not your fault that this fear is spreading through America. The fear is a rational response to a messed up situation.

                              Police are looking for any reason to search your car and person. Narcotics officers dress like hoodlums, with no visible police identification. Your house is flown over by helicopters, which use infrared tech to search for drug production, your electric bill scoured by data mining software for irregularities, your clothing and bags and vehicles sniffed by drug detecting dogs at every opportunity. When the entire population is treated like criminal suspects, it's not surprising that they should behave as such.
                              Last edited by Nikolas; 12-29-2008, 11:43 AM.
                              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

                              "$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

                              Comment

                              Connect

                              Collapse

                              TeamSpeak 3 Server

                              Collapse

                              Advertisement

                              Collapse

                              Twitter Feed

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X