Military as Police.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military as Police.

Cing brought up a point that I would like to discuss.

The military being used as world police.

I am not really talking about the decision to send in forces. I am talking about when the war is over and the security/enforcement of the conquered areas start.

I have always thought that there should be a supplementary force that is primarily trained to be "cops". They would have some battle skills but if the situation gets to crazy they would call the regular forces back in.
    Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
    - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
    - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
    - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
    - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
    - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
    - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Re: Military as Police.

Are you talking about Iraq or something? Police is a civic/municipal service that the U.S. Armed Forces should have no business in any country.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
    He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Evo<^|SiNz|^> View Post
      Are you talking about Iraq or something? Police is a civic/municipal service that the U.S. Armed Forces should have no business in any country.
      I was thinking about any place that needs law enforcement and the U.S. decides to intervene/help out. Iraq is one example as is Afghanistan.

I disagree that Police is strictly a municipal service. There are state police. I don't think this force needs to be a part of the military, but could be.

The fact is our armed forces do go into countries. They are very good at destroying and killing. It takes them awhile to get good at maintaining order. I am afraid that using the armed forces to maintain order degrades their destroying and killing efficiency and also ties them up so that they can't be destroying and killing in other places.

Creating and maintaining this "occupying police force" would probably require fewer resources than creating and maintaining a equal number of marines.
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

At what benefit to the U.S. taxpayer, then?
        "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.
        He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

- Attributed to General George Patton, Jr.

Comment

Air Force Security Forces are your closest match. From a simple squad car to a full battle rattle, they can do it all.
          Skud

Comment

It sounds like you want to set up the infrastructure to an empire.
            We are not Imperialists.
            We should not "police" anything, anywhere..............ever.

Comment

Until the UN actually does something productive, the rest of the world will look to the U.S. and Britain to be the ones to enforce........It's sad, but many of you might agree with me on this point.
              Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
              Level II Volunteer FireFighter
              Level I HazMat Technician
              NYS EMT-B
              Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
              RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
              Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
              Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
              We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

Enforce... what?

Democracy?

Police don't ENFORCE. They protect and serve...
                Skud

Comment

If we're going to be an empire, then let's go ahead and annex the land as territories and make those people citizens. I see no reason not to give Iraq, Pakistan, Afghanistan, or any other chunk of willing territory the ability to participate in our democracy. There are parts of my town that are as bad as those places, so it's not like there's no precedent.

Oh, wait. They'd be competition for all those who want free services at others' expense. Never mind.
                  Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
                    Until the UN actually does something productive, the rest of the world will look to the U.S. and Britain to be the ones to enforce........It's sad, but many of you might agree with me on this point.

I completely agree with this.
                    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                    -Vulcan

Comment

If the UN isn't productive, get rid of it. It's eating up valuable resources that would be better spent elsewhere. Ron Paul has repeatedly introduced legislation withdrawing the US from the UN, and it's been ignored.

The UN is where US porkers meat with foreign porkers and, through clever use of treaties, play "hide the salami". ;)
                      Dude, seriously, WHAT handkerchief?

snooggums' density principal: "The more dense a population, the more dense a population."

Iliana: "You're a great friend but if we're ever chased by zombies I'm tripping you."

Comment

The UN is part of the system to transfer wealth in order to maintain " order ".

Comment

We are nothing but imperialists. The countries we have trouble with are the countries that won't do business with us on our terms. Those leaders generally aren't in it for the money and they will never have "order" in our view. For friendly countries, we make sure we have a base there and their troops are US trained and whipped. There is also pressure on world leaders from the CIA on the inside to play nice or else. McDonalds is an outpost in territories we own.

Comment

There is something artificial about an outside force policing another people/state. Something which detracts from the autonomy of that country. If someone came into your house, and started telling you how to run your life--because for whatever reason you were dealing with issues--this would go against your free will. You wouldn't be able to make your own mistakes and decisions.

To this end, Iraq has to be able to make it's own decisions. We've given them to chance to try to end their fighting. If they cannot put their differences aside, how are we going to make it any better?

Look at racism in the united states. Although there is an end to "separate but equal" policies, there is still a lot of racism and hatred that goes on. Maybe not as openly, but there is. This is because you cannot forcefully change people. They have to change themselves. It's a long term process.

In time, the people of Iraq will have to want to change, and be willing to fight for that change. As Hegel put it in his "Philosophy in History", that can sometimes change comes at a bloody price. Or as he termed it, the "slaughter bench of history". The may have to fight things out before they realize that fighting isn't the answer.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
                            "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
                            of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
                            To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
                            - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

Originally posted by Hambergler View Post
                              We are nothing but imperialists. The countries we have trouble with are the countries that won't do business with us on our terms. Those leaders generally aren't in it for the money and they will never have "order" in our view. For friendly countries, we make sure we have a base there and their troops are US trained and whipped. There is also pressure on world leaders from the CIA on the inside to play nice or else. McDonalds is an outpost in territories we own.

You read Adbusters, don't you...?
                              Skud

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...