Israel-Gaza Conflict

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Israel-Gaza Conflict

First time on TG in months to see the general opinion of this situation and there's not even a thread up. Not sure how much coverage it's getting in the US, but it's the headline story here.

Israel has sent armoured vehicles and ground forces into the Gaza Strip in the latest stage of its week-long offensive against Hamas.

An Israeli military spokeswoman said the intention was to take control of areas from which Palestinian militants have been firing rockets into Israel.

Earlier, Israel intensified air and artillery attacks on the territory.

Witnesses say military convoys crossed into northern Gaza at four separate points, supported by helicopters.

Reports say there have been clashes between the advancing Israeli soldiers and Hamas fighters. Both sides say they have inflicted casualties but there has been no independent confirmation of the claims.

France has strongly criticised the Israeli land campaign. The British Foreign Secretary, David Miliband, said the escalation of the conflict would cause alarm and dismay.

The US said it had told Israel's government that military action must be "mindful of the potential consequences to civilians."

The State Department also said Washington is "deeply concerned about the humanitarian situation" in Gaza, but said in a statement that Hamas holds the people of Gaza hostage.

UN Secretary General Ban Ki Moon has appealed for an immediate halt to Israel's ground operation.

In New York the UN Security Council has convened an emergency session to discuss the situation in Gaza.

Israel has carried out more than 800 strikes on the Gaza Strip since the offensive started eight days ago, including 40 on Saturday.

The UN has warned of a worsening humanitarian crisis, and believes 25% of more than 400 Palestinians killed by Israel so far were civilians. Israel says about 80% of those killed were Hamas militants. Four Israelis have been killed by rocket fire from Gaza.

Source

Views?
    Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Re: Israel-Gaza Conflict

Speaking solely on the situation at hand, and not the big picture concerning Israel/Palestine/Hamas, I would have to give Israel my support on this. There have been attacks from the Strip into Israel for so long that an Israeli retaliation is more than justified.

As for where this sits in the grander scheme of what is happening there, I can't really form an opinion either way, since I don't really know as much as I should on the region and what I do know leaves me with both sympathy and apprehension towards both sides.
    Bucklin out.

Comment

Same, they are reacting to a situation where force was used against their civilians, and IMHO the full force of what they have is justified. I just wish other governments had the political will and courage to do this when pushed. But that's a whole other thread.

Comment

Yep. Ignoring the history Israel is justified and maybe even a bit slow in doing this.
        Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
        - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
        - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
        - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
        - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
        - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
        - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I agree that Israel has to act to stop the almost constant rocket attacks being launched almost daily from the Gaza Strip. The only thing I fear is that Israel will just end up making things worse.

The problem is that many people view this as a religious war and thus one that will not be solved overnight...

I only hope that Israel sends in tuck loads of food/medical supplies after their tanks so that the civilians get the care they need. I think that step would go farther to win support versus just more and more bombs.

~ Draken

Comment

I'm behind Israel 100%. Hamas are terrorists.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

-Benjamin Franklin

Comment

could this be the first topic where the majority of TG agree on something? I agree israel should have done this years ago. And i fear for any country who gets involved against them ie iran.
              that sounds like a good idea trooper.
              -Vulcan

Comment

I fear for us because it could easily grow into a wider war and with a little over 2 weeks to go our new leader has no opinion at all.
                I support Israel but I think a different approach needs to be made in regard to the Palestinians.
                The suffer those people have endured, largely at the the hands of the their own leaders is disgusting.
                To have given a Nobel Peace prize to the butcher who helped create the culture of murder and suicide that we see coming out of Gaza and the West Bank is a complete travesty.
                The continued fiction that these are some helpless refugees of a racist terrorist nation has gone on for far too long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3Xl68kP4wo
                3:26
                Last edited by KomradeObama; 01-04-2009, 10:55 AM.

Comment

I'm against Israel... So i ruin the trend of everyone agreeing... Lol jk. I'm with Israel full support. I actually watched the news last night for half an hour, just watching what was going on. The Palestinians, or however you spell that, they were saying how there shouldn't even be an Israel and all this crap. I don't know much about this, but i have a feeling the US is gonna go into this once Iran steps in and attacks Israel. What the Israel spokesman said, was that they weren't trying to capture any land, but they just wanted to have a secure area for southern Israel since they are bombed 24/7. So i think what they are doing is good. But that is coming from someone who can't even drive yet haha. I feel bad for Israel for its situation, even though i don't know little to anything about the whole holy land thing.

Comment

Sorry to go off topic but Israel only exists because outside forces said 'crap we have all of these Jewish refugees left over from WWI and WWII what do we do? Hey I have an idea send them all to Palestine I'm sure the locals won't care...'

Ironically enough History Chanel was running a series last night about the Ottoman Empire in WWI and WWII and how it all led to modern day, Palestine, Syria, Iraq, and Iran.

Palestine was awarded (in part) to the British forces at the end WWI and the break up the of the Ottoman Empire (modern day Turkey). From that Britain along with the League of Nations, and a few back door deals involving many different groups, created the Jewish state of Israel. Some in the Arab community took this as an invasion and as an act of holy war and so on and so forth...

~ Draken

Comment

there is an excellent article on the bottom right portion of the NY TIMES Sunday edition, it really explains why Hamas is bad for not only the world (it is a terrorist organization) but also for the Palestinians.

If i can get the article i will also upload it here.
                      Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
                      Level II Volunteer FireFighter
                      Level I HazMat Technician
                      NYS EMT-B
                      Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
                      RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
                      Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
                      Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
                      We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I think the Israeli's should remove the settlers, this would go along way to stabilizing the situation.
                        They will never go back to the 1947 UN Partition, but they could at least concede the contested, and still encroaching settlements.

Then again, it might be too late, the Palestinians will probably never be satsfied until Israel is wiped off the map.

So once the Israeli's finish The Wall, they can procede with the final solution.

It seems the "Promised Land" was promised to a few too many

Comment

It didn't makes sense when they gave up Gaza. Now they are going to take I back.

Comment

Originally posted by llPANCHOll View Post
                            I think the Israeli's should remove the settlers, this would go along way to stabilizing the situation.
                            They will never go back to the 1947 UN Partition, but they could at least concede the contested, and still encroaching settlements.

Then again, it might be too late, the Palestinians will probably never be satsfied until Israel is wiped off the map.

So once the Israeli's finish The Wall, they can procede with the final solution.

It seems the "Promised Land" was promised to a few too many
                            the promise land was never promised to any other group but the Israelites. Anyone else is just trying to remove the chosen. Which isn't surprising considering the other religion in that area was founded on war and violence. Either convert or be destroyed.
                            that sounds like a good idea trooper.
                            -Vulcan

Comment

Wow, seriously? I guess it's me Vs. the Sandbox on this one :D

I guess I can't say I wasn't expecting that response - I've been watching the news every time I've had a spare chance today and also been flicking between channels to see the different coverage, naturally the American channels were giving a pro-Israeli slant so let me just open with a few facts that no-one has seemed to mention.

Before I start, I don't agree with Hamas rockets being launched into Israel, but what Israel has done has made that look like a light slap on the wrist.

During the ceasefire which came before the initial rocketfire from Hamas, Israel did not follow this agreement since blockades were continued for supplies into Gaza, meaning people have been starving in Gaza area for a while now. And you may call Hamas terrorists, but they were democratically elected into power by angry Palestinian peoples after being constantly occupied by Israel.

Over 500 Palestinians have died in just over a week, and roughly 2,400 have been wounded in Gaza, which is one of the mostly densely populated areas in the world, which has been hit by over 800 air raids in this time. Hospitals are running dangerously low on all supplies with walking wounded with injuries such as shrapnel being turned away since hospitals cannot cope with the overflow of critically wounded and life-saving operations sometimes have to be undertaken in hospital-corridor floors. Civilians are forced out of their homes to sleep on the streets where air raids can occur at any time, and there is literally nowhere to run for the citizens of this territory. Water, food and aid are all being denied access into Gaza, while there is almost no electricity in the area.

4 Israelis have been killed from the shelling.
                              Anger is a gift - Malcolm X

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X