Circuit City, Whats it good for?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Circuit City, Whats it good for?

I'm an employee of Circuit City(CCity). As we all know they are in deep trouble http://investor.circuitcity.com/. They filed chapter 11 a month ago. They are now up for auction of the 16th of this month. I hope they crash and burn, heres my story.

I applied to CCity requestion a manager/supervisor position. My application was reviewed and I was hired into sales with the promise of manager training after the holiday rush(Nov '05). Januaray came about and I was transfered into a computer tech making about $10.50ish and making a few merit rasies of $.35 here and there. I then transfered into a in-home tech when Firedog came about and made $16.00. I did that for 1.5 years and ended at $16.50.

Then Aug 24, 07 came along. It changed my life. I was heading to a customer appointment to hook up a comcast cable box. I was on I-95 south bound in philadelphia (main highway in phily). A car in front of me slammed on their brakes and forced me to do the same. I avioded the car in front of me, I had plently of distance. But the Trailblazer behind me failed to keep 2 seconds plus and ended in the rear of my box van. I hurt my knee and went in the store's single supplied workmen's comp doctor (1st issue. In PA employers are required by law to supply 5 choices for outpatient care). 2nd kicker the van I drove was outdated on all paperwork including safty and emissions inspections, insurance, and registration. This ended up with $460 in fines I had to pay end points on my liense. I knew some people in the PA-state police and had 50% of my points waived by talking to the case officer for my accident.

So I goto the doctor. Tells me I'm ok after x-rays and a MRI of my right knee. No pal, I'm in pain. So I goto my personal doctor and get a 2nd opinion under my insurance. low and behold I tore my MCL. The workmen's comp alreadly filed for work release and closed out my case. Screwed. So I contact a buddy of mine who owes me a few favors and hooks me up with one of phillys best lawyers at a reduced rate (25% to 18.5%). Sued CCity's insurance carrier and the person who hit me (as a backup, I'm not trying to extort money, just trying to get my bills covered while I'm out of work).

So by now I'm 2 months out of work with no pay. My rent is pilling up and my childsupport breaks $500 and I'm placed on 2 warrents. I'm arrested and placed in jail for 2 nights and let go after bail is dropped and I meet with my court officer and plead my case. I get approval for therapy for the next 2 months every other day. after 4 months I'm cleared to return to work and placed back into my in-home position. I'm still in a pending court case for both childsupport and workmen's comp. I built up $6,700 in personal covered insurance claims and $1,800 in non-covered medical bills at this time.

Right before returning to work, my g/f (of 3 years) at that time. kicked me out of the house for not helping with the rent and unable to deal with me because I could help with the chores.

When I returned to work, about a month later I notified my direct manager I'm planning to return to collage and ubtain a nursing degree. (get my sorry ass out of retail dead ends). There was no further instructions given to me and I was asured I'd have a part-time position waiting for me on my day of returning to school.

About 1-2 months pass and I had my final court case about workmen's comp and long story short, CCity is forced to pay me $4,700 in unpaid wages at 80%(if I remember correctly) pay rate, plus cover my current balance of medical bills and pay my lawyer +18%. Finally something went my way.

Time was up, and school was 3 days off from starting. I reminded my boss that my days need to change now. We went into the store manager's(SM) officer and the 3 of us sat down. (bare in mind that I'm still driving a van with no current inspections because it still has the accident damage unrepaired, I was forced to either drive the van or resign my position. Being I havn't recieved my cash yet, I was still in a ton of dept and need cash badly , I kept doing the job.) Once we sat down, I told them what I requested. The SM asked me if I filed the transfer request form. "What form?" The one on out website. "Where?" That didn't help me with jack, Here I am, about to start school and now I'm getting a paperwork runaround. We as CCity never onces filled in a transfer request unless someone was transfering to another store. So my mind started getting into defense mode, your screwing with my future here Mr. Boss. So what do you waht me to do? He tells me I can eitire to my job no at 46 hours per week plus or transfer 50 minutes to another store at $11.00 per hour.

Needless to say, I had some fine choosen words for my boss and told me to either goto that store and resign. I never lost my cool, but I restated all my issues CCity delt to me over the past few months and restated the fact I'm still putting my ass on the line with a busted van and no inspections. He didnt want to hear it and asked to to leave. on the way out he asked me my choice. I had to work at the new location. I couldnt give up my medical coverage in my current health state. I take hormones and diabetic prescriptions ( I have metabolism issues). So off I go commuting after gas sky rockets. After all sead and done, I brought home $35 every 2 weeks for myself. It all to this day goes to food. I end up losing money working for CCity. you might ask why I work there like this? We'll I tryed finding jobs and then the economic B.S. comes about. Kinda hard to find a job right now. Plus I'm staying out of jail from child support (mother is a bitch, kid is love of my life) and I have good benifits.

So I tranfer. Things are good and I'm treated like a human here at my new store. The 2 techs at this store are cought stealing customer's computers that were being repaired at firedog. They are suspected of stealing over 6 laptops. They are both fired and I'm left to handle all the s. that hit the fan. Bare in mind I'm working 3 days a week and going to school. So we find another tech, hes a numbnut like most tech at CCity. 18 years old and doesn't know his hand from his rear hole. honestly, if you say you know how to turn on a computer, your a tech! idiots... whatever. I make due and teach the kid a few tricks and keep the computers flowing. So next thing on the list is we tranfer someone who moved up from Flordia. hotshot tech whos been working for CCity for 3 years (Hmmm.. sounds like myself, this is importent). So he comes in and is kinda smart I guess. Doesn't have any certs but knows how to do the basics malware removals and how to install a video card (Today I found out he never used a multi-meter and had no clue how to check voltages on a PSU let alone know what voltages were on what wire, idiots...).

So I been working at this store now for about 8-10 months, I lost track. But it's been...normal I guess for retail. The normal B.S. you expect from your bosses and customers. They made FL boy here the un-offical lead tech. That means hes in charge but not assigned to position. Whatever, hes 22 year old idiot that does't have the first clue how to run the bench and hinders it more then helps paperwork wise.

So today I came across some pretty information that caused me to lose my mind and flip s. at my current store manager. I was bestowed clumsy information from my un-offical lead tech that he makes $16.00. hmmm... I thought to myself. I ask how id he come about this. He informed me that he was a tech for a year at 10 something a hour. They premoted him to in-home tech and gave him $16.00 per hour. He left CCity for some personal crap and came back a few months later with the same job. Sounds like me even more, athough he was hurt. So his parents move to PA and he transfers here. They offer him the same pay. hes been working at, part-time. (this little turd has zero certifications. Nothing. NOTHING. I have MCP, MCDST, A+, NET+, and just recently got my CCNA.) I make $11.00 and this jackass who screwed more crap up then hes worth makes 16.00 per hour.

Yeah, here I am. Can't do jack because CCity is up for sale and no one in HR gives a damn. Then again, did they ever? Whatever the case, I'm not looking for pity or justication. I'm not seeking answers nor asking for advise. I know the mistakes are my own fault and I'm just a pawn of retail B.S. I jsut want you the gaming people who buy from this craphole, how they treated this loyal employee who's never said no to any bosses order or request, whos never showed up late and always called out when I was sick the 3 times I did. I never been writen up and always passed on my knowledge to the new employees.

As of now, I'm seekign employment in the hospital system as a medical tech (I'm an EMT-B). If that fails I can also to the old people non-mergency medical transport service as a last resort.
    The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
    mutual respect for your fellow gamers
    and where all members
    would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
    Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Re: Circuit City, Whats it good for?

That's some rough stuff man.
    Hang in there.

Comment

i refuse to buy from CC because every time i entire the local store they follow me and my friends around and watch us at every isle. They have one person stand at each end of the isle. I asked a manager about this one time and he was offended that i would accuse his store of such a thing. I told him i just bought a large amount of home entertainment stuff from them and its all coming back.

He said well if you have installed it we cant take it back. The next day i brought it all back in its boxes and the clerk behind the counter took it all back. That manager seen me leave the store and was pissed. o well not my problem, best buy across the street gave me a deal and ive shopped there ever since.
      that sounds like a good idea trooper.
      -Vulcan

Comment

Had my fair share of ****ty bosses in my time too.

POE2 Developer

Comment

About ten years ago CC was at the top of its game... it has slid so far from those times. Every time I bother going in to look for something I leave with disappointment. I was not at all surprised when they began closing stores in earnest during 2008.

Comment

Wow!

I used to work in their "In Home" TV Repair department back in 2000 and then I got transfered inside to help Translate Tech talk to regular people that were trying to talk to the techs.

I used to remember them bragging about the Million Dollar renovations on the store and the new launch of the new logo and everything. We would hear rumors of problems and management would call us all together and hand us little Circuit City Baseballs and shout from the roof tops that all is well...Then 2 weeks later my division gets SHUTDOWN! I helped close out that facility and then was out on my proverbial ars!

Never do Shop there any more...Head to Best Buy if it is something I NEED NOW or I will look around online if I can wait!

Play MySpace games? PeepsDepot.com to get all the Peeps you need for any game!

Wii# 5935-7920-5346-8754 | PS3:TheeShadyB | XBOX 360:TheeShadyB

Comment

That's a real shame. Sorry you went through all that. I believe in Corporate Karma. They treat people and employees like that, so look what is happening to them. These managers must not have ever taken any Business Ethics or Business Management classes. This is very basic stuff to deal with, and they should have known to treat their employees with more respect. I can't stand the incompetence of some people. Hang in there, Eroak. You'll come out on top soon, and may one day be the boss of some of these clowns.
              "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Wow! That sucks, man.

Circuit City was the first job I ever applied to (when I was 16) and I'm really glad I was stupid and never called them back so I didn't get the job. Otherwise I would probably be in the whole bankruptcy mess as well.

Comment

A few months ago I had conversations with CC employees that had very similar stories. Why haven't you started Eroak Dog?
                  Last edited by Hambergler; 01-11-2009, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Ain't life full of fun little ironies and lessons? You can't help but laugh at your situation, man. Either that, or cry. Either way, things will work out for you. You've just gotta attract what you want, instead of what you don't want, which seems to be what you're doing now.

Comment

Hang in there Eroak.

I always head to Best Buy. Bigger selection, and I usually get better customer service.

Comment

Best Buy has been on my list of places that I will absolutely avoid, and Circuit City has just been added to the list.
                        Become a supporting member!
                        Buy a Tactical Duck!
                        Take the world's smallest political quiz! "I was touched by His Noodly Appendage."
                        TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran:

Comment

Aaahhh...the life in retail! Companies don't care about employees and maybe a little more about customers. Work, work, work with little recognition or appreciation. Hang in there Eroak...better days ahead!
                          Proud to have been an Irregular

Comment

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
                            That's a real shame. Sorry you went through all that. I believe in Corporate Karma. They treat people and employees like that, so look what is happening to them. These managers must not have ever taken any Business Ethics or Business Management classes. This is very basic stuff to deal with, and they should have known to treat their employees with more respect. I can't stand the incompetence of some people. Hang in there, Eroak. You'll come out on top soon, and may one day be the boss of some of these clowns.
                            Funny thing is every manager is required to fly out to NC and take a training course in ethics and legal issues.

Besides all that, when I started out it was good. The managers cared and let teh salesmen run the store. Honestly. We were allowed to setup the salesfloor as we saw fit. We were allowed to use the sales process that worked best for yourself. Then the TV corporate scandel took place and blew out some 1.5-2.5 millon dollor loss for the company. Overnight the company changed everything and we lost a good amount of good managers. Hired from outside and brought in a ton of asses to run the stores and cut costs and save money.
                            The soldier formerly known as, Eroak.

From the TG Primer: 2) Create an environment where there is
                            mutual respect for your fellow gamers
                            and where all members
                            would be working together to advance the enjoyment of their hobby.
                            Former TGU Dean, 3rd, 9th, & 56th IHS member.

Comment

If it makes you feel any better the Circuit City in my town closed a couple weeks ago. :)

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X