Frank Rich : White Like Me

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Rich : White Like Me

I thought this editorial was excellent, and I think Obama would agree. I too appreciate the significance of this innaguration, but also hope that it is not taken as some kind of panacea or watershed. There is still a very long road ahead for race and equal rights in this country and in the world. I like to think that most people get that, but at times have doubts. It's good to see thoughts like this expressed, so I'm posting here.

White Like Me

Also and again, I want to point out that this is why the NYTimes remains a paper of record in this country.

Re: Frank Rich : White Like Me

Good article! However, this IS a bit of relief to us "white" Americans. For my entire life, the educational system and society has brainwashed me to feel "guilty" about the horrible past treatment of minorities and native americans in this country. It wasn't until I got older and realized, "Hey! My forefathers didn't even get to this country until slavery was abolished!" and I also realized that my family and I had NOTHING to do with any bit of racial tension in this country whatsoever. I shed that "white guilt" long ago by becoming an independent thinker.

By having a quasi-black President, it has proved a lot. We have really moved forward as a country in our acceptance of one another. But now, I don't want to EVER hear any person say that the so called "Man" is holding them down.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Re: Frank Rich : White Like Me

Originally posted by War.mongeR1 View Post
      By having a quasi-black President, it has proved a lot. We have really moved forward as a country in our acceptance of one another. But now, I don't want to EVER hear any person say that the so called "Man" is holding them down.
      But isn't this what people like Rich and Obama are saying not to do? I certainly don't think that you, as a white person, should feel guilty about anything regarding race, but I think all of us need to understand that discrimination of all kinds (voluntary, involuntary, conscious, subconscious) is alive and well in America and we're still quite far away from an equal society. 'The man' doesn't hold anyone down (Uncle Sam, maybe), but the system still does - sometimes with a vengeance.

Obama's innaguration is a huge step, but it jumped over so many smaller steps that have yet to be taken. It's important for all of us to realize that, to know it and teach it.

Change comes slowly.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
      X