Religulous

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religulous

I don't ask for people to stop believing in god just stop believing in religion.

Well I watched this a couple of weeks ago and it got me motivated. I have nothing against people believing in god or a supreme being but religions are not about god they are about making money and getting more people to be Christian, Muslim or Jewish so they can go to heaven and be with Jesus. If god wanted a religion so people can follow him why would he create so many.... Why would he let so many people get carried away too? like cults, suicide bombers and all those other fun people who like to inflict pain on one another in gods name. Most people have even seen a dismembered body so they have no problem keeping faith but me I lost all faith once my eyes opened to the world not just my local surroundings....
    Even though I haven't seen these bodies up close I have seen many pictures and vids from war zones(Not just Iraq but from all wars) Now before anyone says big deal your just looking at pictures and vids well I'm a firefighter and I've seen plenty of death up close and personal... I've mentioned this because I got my mom to watch this and afterwards she kind of brushed it off but she got curious when I asked if she ever seen a dead body besides being a funeral and she said no. Not many people have seen the dead....
    Is bill maher is your god? he's not mine. We have great leaders in this world besides religous leaders (not god) to tell us what to do.
    There is only way to stop religion.
    -Don't teach it to your kids.

Religion makes life so much harder for the rest of us.
    -MajorPayne

Read my first post for my plea agianst religion.

"I dream of a day where people don't wish for death but want to live here on earth and make it a better place to live"
    -MajorPayne

ps
    Don't post please if your going say I'm just fine with my religion....There are some people who can never change.
    Last edited by MajorPayne; 01-19-2009, 10:41 PM.

Re: Religulous

Originally posted by MajorPayne View Post
    I don't ask for people to stop believing in god just stop believing in religion.
    No thank you, I'm perfectly happy with mine.

Comment

Comment

What, you thought that would be an easy request to make? That millions of people would cut off all contact with the Church just because they saw Religulous? Nice try. :p

Comment

If god wanted a religion so people can follow him why would he create so many.... Why would he let so many people get carried away too? like cults, suicide bombers and all those other fun people who like to inflict pain on one another in gods name.
          I'm no expert on Theology, but I'm pretty sure most religions believe that people have free will.
          Steam Community: | |

Comment

I enjoyed the movie. Bill Maher makes a lot of good points about religious extremism.

TacticalGamer TX LAN/BBQ Veteran

Comment

Asking humanity to give up religion is like asking them to give up sex.

You could make the case that sex produces undesirable results and that going all out for test tube reproduction could produce, overall, fewer mistakes and bad results.

But for some it just feels to good to give up.
              Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
              - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
              - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
              - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
              - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
              - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
              - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

I dislike most forms of religion because they are too rigid and strict. That doesn't mean I don't believe in God. (Trust me, I know He exists)

"Certainly, being bombarded with 105 millimeter shells is bad. But the knowledge that you've armed your enemy thus, with your sloth and your ineptitude, unfolds in the heart like a poison." Tycho from Penny Arcade in reference to the nuke in MW2

Comment

I watched this movie. I think Maher has good points but loses me in his mockery. I have a similar reaction to his HBO talk show in which he resorts to setups and punchlines instead of real debate, as if all of his points should be obvious to all.

I'd urge people to read Carl Sagan's 'The Varieties of Scientific Experience: A Personal View of the Search for God.' In applying basic scientific method to modern (and ancient) religious views, the cracks in general theology become readily apparent.

Humankind is rapidly (in terms of galactic time) disenganging from traditional theology, as is evidenced by the rise in religious extremism and its marginalized (if not embattled) status in modern society. Protestantism and other reformed versions of religion are growing more than their traditional counterparts. Many so-called believers are either consciously or subconsciously aware of the disconnects between what their religion holds true versus what they know to be true, such as the age of the Earth, the origin of species, etc. Over the past century, science has become increasingly accepted for the first time in human history. Thanks to the information age, proven scientific theories no longer face public discredit from religious or other institutions of belief. This is a very significant trend, though like many slow-moving trends that occur over generations is not noticed by many people. Oddly, it will be evolution itself which serves as a vehicle for this change in our species.

I am not at all saying that humankind will do away with the belief in God anytime soon, or ever. What I am saying is that a reckoning between traditional religious belief and scientific understanding is already occuring in society, and it is religion itself that needs to adapt.

Comment

Don't post please if your going say I'm just fine with my religion....
                    Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
                    No thank you, I'm perfectly happy with mine.
                    *sigh* The point he's trying to make though is that religion should be a relationship between you and god, forming your own beliefs. Which I am of the same mind about.

Religion today is very much a business. I find the act of guilting people into showing up, asking kids for money, and simply calling people wrong a very heinous act and is my main turn off for religion.

I was told once that I was simply wrong and not a christian for believing that homosexuality was not a sin. Unlike others I look at the bible and read it with a critical eye and choose not to believe every word and every page. Instead everyone tells me the bible is true, every word, which simply cannot be true to the extent that everyone is willing to believe.

I then decided I'd call myself an Atheist because I can't believe in any kind of higher being that would condone such ignorance and hatred.

Comment

Is bill maher is your god? he's not mine. We have great leaders in this world besides religous leaders (not god) to tell us what to do.
                      There is only way to stop religion.
                      -Don't teach it to your kids.

Religion makes life so much harder for the rest of us.
                      -MajorPayne

Read my first post for my plea agianst religion.

Edit: Morals should be basic living.

Comment

"Religion makes life so much harder for the rest of us."
                        -MajorPayne

how much are you going to quote yourself?, I find it rather annoying as;

A. You aren't Famous, nor have you changed the course of history with this thread
                        B. that quote isn't something painfully true its just an opinion
                        C. just...... No

on the Main Topic, I'm a Christian, I've given my church five dollars somewhere a long the line just because Money is tough, and the money I donated was heading to Africa. I've never been pressured at my church, and my pastor is always willing to have a good discussion and he never says - Your wrong, You sinned etc. etc. his presentation is always in the form that "I BELIEVE..... continue continue" He respects the idealogy that He will never be always right, But he has his opinions and his beliefs and he's willing to share them with you privately when you ask him for guidance.

Religion has its place in the world, there are corrupt church's in any religion, but you don't have to go to a corrupt church........

My Opinion :)

Comment

Would I get banned if I post vids and pics of people dieing?

Comment

Would I get banned if I post vids and pics of people dieing?
                            Not if you post the link with a Disclaimer saying that there's Graphic content of people dying so that people aren't surprised by what they see.

Considering Most TG'ers Kill "People" on a daily basis in video games, I don't see an issue as long as people are warned that they're going to see people die

Comment

Originally posted by Sirusblk View Post
                              *sigh*
                              I believe MajorPayne edited his post to counter Kerostasis after Kerostasis replied. Now he's editing his original post to quote his own replies.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X