Obama's Inaugural Speech

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's Inaugural Speech

Pretty damn impressive, I am glad to have a president that can speak clearly, and who doesn't trip over his words, and who is standing proudly and defining himself as well as the American people.

I tip my hat to you President Obama, and I look forward to what you can bring to this great nation that I live in.
    Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
    Level II Volunteer FireFighter
    Level I HazMat Technician
    NYS EMT-B
    Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
    RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
    Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
    Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
    We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Re: Obama's Inaugural Speech

What??? I missed it? I thought it was going to be this evening! Well, I guess it's time to start calling him President Obama instead of President Elect Obama. I hope he does well and can live up to his promises.
    "Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by Delta*RandyShugart* View Post
      ...who doesn't trip over his words ...
      Didn't he trip over the oath of office?

Edit: I just heard a replay of the oath, and it might have been the justice delivering the oath who tripped over it, instead of Obama. They definately didn't get it right the first time though.
      Last edited by Kerostasis; 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM.

Comment

He's good at giving speeches, I'll give him that.

Whether he'll actually change anything is to be seen. To be honest, he hasn't really said anything that made me feel "things are absolutely going to be better". That being said, there is nothing that could be said on his part would convince me.

It's like the boy who cried wolf. Politicians have said things like this for so long, I'm apt to not believe them at this point.

|TG| Eudiphon

sigpic
        "But in contemplating history as the slaughter-bench at which the happiness of peoples, the wisdom
        of states, and the virtue of individuals have been sacrificed, a question necessarily arises:
        To what principle, to what final purpose, have these monstrous sacrifices been offered?"
        - G.W.F. Hegel Reason in History

Comment

I didn't vote for him, but I am willing to give him a chance, this is the first time in our history that we have a President who is half white and half black.
          Randy = Ace ! - Warlab
          Level II Volunteer FireFighter
          Level I HazMat Technician
          NYS EMT-B
          Town of Mamaroneck Fire Dept.

sigpic

Bring On Project Reality 1.0!!!
          RSS Feeds:Bamboo | | 9/11 - Never Forget |
          Apophis - "TG was created to cater to a VERY specific type of gamer rather than trying to appeal to the greater gaming population.
          Tactical Gamer is not mainstream.
          We are not trying to attract mainstream gamers."

Comment

I thought that the speech was well delivered, however I couldn't help thinking that it was probably a speech writer's words for the most part. I've always wondered how much of this is the speaker's actual thoughts.

That said, I'm hopeful that we'll start progressing again with our economy and with foreign relations

Comment

Originally posted by Kerostasis View Post
              Didn't he trip over the oath of office?
              Believe it was John Roberts who did as well. Who cares.

Excellent speech. The honeymoon will be over very soon. He's got alot of messes to clean up.
              |TG-9th| TheFatKidDeath
              "Born to Party, Forced to Work."
              - Check me out on The Onion
              - I'm on the local news!

Comment

Who cares? Probably no one, although I've already heard people around my office comparing it to Bushisms like "strategery". :p

But yeah, on the replay it sounded like Robert's mistake more than Obama's. Obama's mistake came in the first few lines of his speech:
                Originally posted by Obama
                Forty-four Americans have now taken the presidential oath.
                Hah! Its only been forty-three, because Grover Cleveland took it twice! :row__685:

Comment

Its pretty evident from the video footage (note the look on the president's face, kinda a "dude, wtf..." look) that Chief Justice Roberts was the one who jacked up the oath.

As far as the speech, the man can deliver a hell of a line. I hope beyond anything that his administration can deliver on its promises of change, renewed prosperity and peace. Because as amazing as it was to witness history take place today, seeing those things that he talked about in his speech come to fruition, that would truly be the stuff of dreams brought to light.

Oh yeah, and aside from his speech, I have to say that the Benediction that Reverend Lowery delivered was something special too.

Comment

Originally posted by tuoply View Post
                    I thought that the speech was well delivered, however I couldn't help thinking that it was probably a speech writer's words for the most part. I've always wondered how much of this is the speaker's actual thoughts.

That said, I'm hopeful that we'll start progressing again with our economy and with foreign relations
                    Umm.. it's always a speechwriters words.. In all occasions these days.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                      Oh yeah, and aside from his speech, I have to say that the Benediction that Reverend Lowery delivered was something special too.
                      All joking aside, I've got no complaints for Obama yet -- I'll hold those until he actually starts making policy. But speaking of Rev. Lowery, did you catch that racial dig he added on at the end there? What was up with that?

Comment

Originally posted by P8riot View Post
                        Umm.. it's always a speechwriters words.. In all occasions these days.
                        ABC said it was his words. That he consulted with his speechwriter and a couple notable historians, but that it was his own writing.

Comment

Agreed, it looked like Obama had to make a quick decision, follow the messed up oath that Roberts gave, or do it correctly. It appears he decided to follow what was said rather than create further embarrassment and "correct" him.

At least that is how it looked to me.

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller View Post
                          Its pretty evident from the video footage (note the look on the president's face, kinda a "dude, wtf..." look) that Chief Justice Roberts was the one who jacked up the oath.

As far as the speech, the man can deliver a hell of a line. I hope beyond anything that his administration can deliver on its promises of change, renewed prosperity and peace. Because as amazing as it was to witness history take place today, seeing those things that he talked about in his speech come to fruition, that would truly be the stuff of dreams brought to light.

|TG| RoadWarrior

Comment

Roberts gave it to him in entire stacks of lines at a time. Given the anxiety of the whole schebang, it isn't surprising.

The speech was soundly delivered to near-perfection. It's nice to have someone articulate in the WH. I watched the whole Inauguration, and it was pretty darn cool.

We'll see how this all unfolds. I, for one, welcome our new American Overlord. hahahaha.
                            "But way back where I come from, we never mean to bother. We don't like to make our passions other peoples' concern." -Dar Williams
                            Former Captain of the 55th Infantry Division

Comment

Heck if I had to deliver the oath of office, they would have to carry me up there!

Best of luck Mr. President.

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X