Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This country is going down hill quick.....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This country is going down hill quick.....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...izona-rancher/

An Arizona man who has waged a 10-year campaign to stop a flood of illegal immigrants from crossing his property is being sued by 16 Mexican nationals who accuse him of conspiring to violate their civil rights when he stopped them at gunpoint on his ranch on the U.S.-Mexico border.

Roger Barnett, 64, began rounding up illegal immigrants in 1998 and turning them over to the U.S. Border Patrol, he said, after they destroyed his property, killed his calves and broke into his home.

His Cross Rail Ranch near Douglas, Ariz., is known by federal and county law enforcement authorities as "the avenue of choice" for immigrants seeking to enter the United States illegally.

Trial continues Monday in the federal lawsuit, which seeks $32 million in actual and punitive damages for civil rights violations, the infliction of emotional distress and other crimes. Also named are Mr. Barnett's wife, Barbara, his brother, Donald, and Larry Dever, sheriff in Cochise County, Ariz., where the Barnetts live. The civil trial is expected to continue until Friday.

since when do illegals have the right to sue a legal citizen for protecting his land?
    that sounds like a good idea trooper.
    -Vulcan

Re: This country is going down hill quick.....

This doesn't sit well with me. Though up in Minnesota, I have to worry more about Canadians overtaking my property...

Comment

It is going downhill because people, even people from other countries, can attempt to solve problems using the court system?

What do you suggest instead of this?
      Iím not racists, I have republican friends. Radio show host.
      - "The essence of tyranny is the denial of complexity". -Jacob Burkhardt
      - "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" - Emerson
      - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
      - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
      - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
      - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by Trooper View Post
        http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...izona-rancher/

since when do illegals have the right to sue a legal citizen for protecting his land?
        I think they can, but it's confusing (not the premise) case since they are Mexican nationals, not American citizens. I think their suit is allowed based on the "civil rights violations" (which the US always touts and would make sense to have the court case here), but I am just as lost as you are as to why it's in an American court without the involvement of a Mexican court/authority.
        |TG-18th| Acreo Aeneas
        TG World of Tanks Clan Executive Officer
        Former 9th & 13th

Pronounciation: Eh-Cree-Oh Ah-Nay-Ess
        Still can't say it? Call me Acorn then. -.-

SSDs I Own: Kingston HyperX 3K (240 GB), Samsung 840 Pro (256 GB), Samsung 840 EVO (250 GB), Samsung 840 x 2 (120 GB), Plextor M5S (120 GB), OCZ Vertex (30 GB)

TG Primer and Rules

Comment

Because it took place in the US.

The Constitution guarantees the rights of all people on US soil, regardless of citizenship.
          A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

This case should fall flat on its face in litigation. They were tresspassing and the man was making a citizens arrest of illegals.
            |TG|Switch

Better known as:
            That noob who crashed the chopper.
            That noob who ran over the mine.
            That noob who TK'd me with a sniper rifle.
            That noob who hit that APC at 300m with light AT! Our APC...

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
              It is going downhill because people, even people from other countries, can attempt to solve problems using the court system?
              People who are committing an illegal action are attempting to use the legal system to attack someone for committing a legal action which interrupted their illegal action. I consider this a large waste of private monies and tax dollars by the people legally contributing in this country. The legal system should not even entertain this kind of case.
              |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

XBL GT: Khan58

Comment

Originally posted by tHa_KhAn View Post
                People who are committing an illegal action are attempting to use the legal system to attack someone for committing a legal action which interrupted their illegal action. I consider this a large waste of private monies and tax dollars by the people legally contributing in this country. The legal system should not even entertain this kind of case.
                It doesn't matter, and never has, when it comes to the law. One bad act does not erase another bad act.

If you break into my house I cannot put you into my basement and make you into my slave. I am still breaking the law and I can still be taken to court by both you and the authorities.

You would have it any different? If so explain yourself.
                - "People should not be afraid of it's government, government should be afraid of it's People." - Line from V for Vendetta
                - If software were as unreliable as economic theory, there wouldn't be a plane made of anything other than paper that could get off the ground. Jim Fawcette
                - "Let me now state what seems to me the decisive objection to any conservatism which deserves to be called such. It is that by its very nature it cannot offer an alternative to the direction in which we are moving." -Friedrich Hayek
                - "Don't waist your time on me your already the voice inside my head." Blink 182 to my wife

Comment

Originally posted by El_Gringo_Grande View Post
                  It doesn't matter, and never has, when it comes to the law. One bad act does not erase another bad act.

If you break into my house I cannot put you into my basement and make you into my slave. I am still breaking the law and I can still be taken to court by both you and the authorities.

You would have it any different? If so explain yourself.

I agree, but from the summary I did not see any details about forced labor. I only read about an interdiction until authorities arrived. Florida is pretty free with home defense so this entire issue seems odd to me.
                  |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

I just have to wonder how much the landowner is going to be out in legal fees defending himself again people unhappy he stopped their illegal behavior.

That is the main problem in our legal system. I am sure whatever ambulance chaser that took up their case is doing it for the 30% of the 32 million possible award. The landowner however has to pay out of pocket for a defense that should never even be needed.
                    |TG-12th| Sawviper

Comment

Originally posted by Sawviper View Post
                      The landowner however has to pay out of pocket for a defense that should never even be needed.
                      Surely he considered the possibility that he would have to defend his actions in court when he decided to aim his gun at someone.

Comment

I just have to wonder how much the landowner is going to be out in legal fees defending himself again people unhappy he stopped their illegal behavior.

That is the main problem in our legal system. I am sure whatever ambulance chaser that took up their case is doing it for the 30% of the 32 million possible award. The landowner however has to pay out of pocket for a defense that should never even be needed.
                        It does suck to live in a country where you have the right to pursue your interpretation of justice.

Comment

Originally posted by RandomGuy View Post
                          Surely he considered the possibility that he would have to defend his actions in court when he decided to aim his gun at someone.
                          I don't know your local laws, but since he is in Arizona I would imagine he broke no law doing that on his own property. Another clue may be that he has been doing this since 1998 and law enforcement has not intervened.
                          |TG-12th| tHa_KhAn

Comment

Likely the landowner won't have to pay court costs / attorney's fees.. I am sure a group like 'Defend Our Borders' or something will come to their aid.
                            sigpic

Comment

Seeing as the judge hasn't yet tossed the complaint from his/her court, there's likely more to the case than we see here.
                              A policy of freedom for the individual is the only truly progressive policy. -F.A. Hayek

"$250,000 a year won't get me to Central Park West."

Comment

Connect

Collapse

TeamSpeak 3 Server

Collapse

Advertisement

Collapse

Twitter Feed

Collapse

Working...
                              X